Windows 10: Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer

Discus and support Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DillaVibes, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer

Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type anything into the search textbox in File Explorer.

Edit: In File Explorer, sometimes I'm able to type but it only allows me to insert 1 character. If I keep typing, the character will be replaced by what I typed.

submitted by /u/DillaVibes
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DillaVibes, Aug 28, 2020

2. Searching (from the Start menu) only finds some of my files

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching files from the Start menu.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check:

Step 1: Run the Performance troubleshooter.

Performance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the
      Search
      box and hit Enter.

• Select “System Maintenance” from the
      Troubleshooter window.

• Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: I suggest you to
    restart Windows Search service.

Windows Search service provides content indexing, property caching and search results for files, e-mails and other contents.

• Click Start, type
      Services.msc in the Start Search box.

• Scroll down the list of services, right-click
      Windows Search and select Start.

• Also, right-click
      and select Properties for
      Windows Search and set its Startup Type to
      Automatic.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 28, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer

1. Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Unable perform search

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open: The previous week my computer force restarted itself and wouldn't boot up for hours. All of a sudden when I log on, I can't open settings, the start menu, the file explorer, and the search bar. Settings closes immediately after opening. The file explorer won't open and causes...
  4. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open: The previous week my computer force restarted itself and wouldn't boot up for hours. All of a sudden when I log on, I can't open settings, the start menu, the file explorer, and the search bar. Settings closes immediately after opening. The file explorer won't open and causes...
  5. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Can't search in start menu, settings, or file explorer

in Cortana
    Can't search in start menu, settings, or file explorer: Hi, I'm unable to search my computer files when I press the windows key and type, like I usually do. Even when I right click the windows icon in the bottom right corner and click search, nothing shows up on screen when I type on my keyboard. Additionally, when I go into the...
  7. Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working

in Cortana
    Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working: I noticed that the search bar in the start menu and in the file explorer isn't working 2 weeks from using the clipboard feature Windows+V on two of my devices which makes my life so hard, I can paste text in it but can't type in it I did the power shell solution it worked for...
  8. Start Menu and File Explorer search broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and File Explorer search broken: For some reason, when I click on the search icon on the start menu, or the search box in file explorer, nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on v2004. submitted by /u/badass-techie [link] [comments]...
  9. Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer: Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type anything into the search textbox in File Explorer. In File Explorer, sometimes I'm able to type but it only allows me to insert 1...
  10. Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*: About three days ago I noticed that my Search Button and searching in general wasn't working and the Start Menu was more or less broken. I tried almost every solution I could find - like running sfc /scannow or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, that sort of thing -...