Windows 10: Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu

Discus and support Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am unable to pin certain programs to the start menu. Please see the video below. I downloaded and installed a utility called FileTypesMan. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mandala, Nov 21, 2018.

1. mandala Win User

Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu

I am unable to pin certain programs to the start menu. Please see the video below. I downloaded and installed a utility called FileTypesMan. When I attempt to pin it to the start menu, and then perform a search for it, it does not show up in the search results. Please advise. TIA.

[youtube]UBZRiecj0AM[/youtube]

:)

mandala, Nov 21, 2018

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you would like to know how to pin short cut to start menu.

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below if you are using Windows 7.

Pin a program to the Start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Pin-a-program-to-the-Start-menu

And if you are using Windows 10 then I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Pin apps to Start

Pin the apps you use most often to the Start menu. Here's how:

• Go to Start > All Apps.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) an app.
    • Select Pin to Start.

Hope this helps. Please let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Mayank Gupta10, Nov 21, 2018
  3. Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?

See if these steps help. Some of these steps might require a good amount of time to complete - consider it maintenance downtime.

Slartybart, Nov 21, 2018
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?

Win 10 64bit Build 10162

Not sure if I've done this in the course of hacking the registry but I can no longer pin anything to Start Menu by right clicking on an .exe in the File Explorer and choosing 'Pin to Start' from the context menu. I don't get an error message but nothing happens.

Also, when I install a program it will create a folder in the Start Menu, as normal, but any shortcuts to an .exe are not shown, only links to the manual, notes, etc. However, the shortcuts to the .exe are actually being created in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Any ideas?

Edit:

Turned on 'Most used' and can pin programs that appear on the list. However, not all programs used are appearing on list. It seems like only programs that were installed before this behaviour started are showing up.

Thema:

1. Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu - Similar Threads - Unable Pin Certain

2. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  3. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  4. Unable to Pin a File to Start Menu App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Pin a File to Start Menu App: Pinning files to an app's Start Menu icon seems to be an ongoing OS problem in Win 10, MS Office 365. I have MS Office 365 installed and updated. The apps are all on the Start Menu, Word and Excel are pinned there. When I right-click on the Word app icon, the context menu...
  5. Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu

Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu: I am unable to pin certain programs to the start menu. Please see the video below. I downloaded and installed a utility called FileTypesMan. When I attempt to pin it to the start menu, and then perform a search for it, it does not show up in the search results. Please advise....
  6. Can't pin a particular program to the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't pin a particular program to the Start Menu: For some reason, I cannot pin Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword to my Start menu. I am 100% sure that it is not already pinned, and I even tried making a shortcut to the executable and pinning that, but it didn't work either. The location of the file is C:\Program Files...
  7. Cannot pin programs to start menu

Cannot pin programs to start menu: Not all the programs I have installed appear on the start menu (all apps). Even if I right click the relevant exe file (from file explorer) and select pin to start menu it does not appear. If I select pin to taskbar that works! 40527
  8. Start menu: unable to see some program groups and pin to Home screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu: unable to see some program groups and pin to Home screen: Hiyas, some program groups or app shortcuts inside start menu folder won't show in full desktop start menu nor they're able to pin to home screen. I inspected respective folders a bit but found nothing suspicious. Most of them was created by regular installer. Also user...
  9. Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?: Win 10 64bit Build 10162 Not sure if I've done this in the course of hacking the registry but I can no longer pin anything to Start Menu by right clicking on an .exe in the File Explorer and choosing 'Pin to Start' from the context menu. I don't get an error message but...
  10. Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!: just done a fresh install of windows and i literately cant do anything that relates to pinning or tweaking the start menu. i was reading that there is a way to fix this via tiledatalayer ??? and followed some examples however there was no tiledatalayer folder present in...