Windows 10: Unable to play 10-bit MP4 video files

Discus and support Unable to play 10-bit MP4 video files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recorded video with a Canon R6 in 10-bit C-Log for the first time. Prior to this, I always recorded in 8-bit without a problem. Windows 10 does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JohnDrummond5, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Unable to play 10-bit MP4 video files

I recorded video with a Canon R6 in 10-bit C-Log for the first time. Prior to this, I always recorded in 8-bit without a problem. Windows 10 does not recognize the files and I am unable to properly import them to my editing app DaVinci Resolve 16. Explorer does not display thumbnails of the video clips; only generic video "clapboard" icons. When I try to play the files in Windows Media Player, a popup says the file format is not supported and provides the following error code: 0xc00d3e8c Windows and DaVinci both handled 8-bit files recorded the same day on a different camera without issue. Please help. Thanks.

:)

JohnDrummond5, Feb 6, 2021
  2. ahlun82 Win User

Mp4 video unable to play

Hi, everyone.
    I got a video mp4 unable to play or cannot render this file when i am play with windows media player.
    I have tried to repair the video with Stella Phoenix video repair. But its same.

Unable to play 10-bit MP4 video files [​IMG]

This video still have the file size, but it just unable to play.

Thanks and regards
    Clarence Lim

ahlun82, Feb 6, 2021
  3. Suddenly unable to play mp4 videos on Windows 10

My windows 10 laptop suddenly stopped properly playing mp4 video files.

The error message states that

My laptop is equipped with Windows Media Player, and even though I've been able to play video files without problem until yesterday, it suddenly stopped working.

On the other hand, there was no problem opening and playing wmv video files. I tried installing another media player and open some of the mp4 files and that worked. But when I tried to add those mp4 videos via my Windows Movie Maker it couldn't properly read the video files.

This is problematic because I want to edit videos with the movie maker, and I want to get it work again.

What would be the fix for this?

By the way, my Windows Movie Maker is not the latest version. I think I purchased it around September of 2017.

Shinichi Takagi, Feb 6, 2021
  4. Iceheart Win User

Unable to play 10-bit MP4 video files

Unable to Play MP4 Files

So I have had a very odd situation develop. I am unable to play mp4 files (or any video content) using the native Movies & TV UWP app.

When I attempt to play, I get an error

Code:
    Can't play

Choose something else to play. This item is in a format we don't support.

0xc00d36b4
    Now lets go over the basics: yes the file could be played previously in the movies & TV app; and as I said, its not just one file... its all of my video files. 
    Initially I suspected a codec issue, however I am able to play mp4 files no issues using an alternative media player such as VLC. I am also able to play the files on another Windows 10 PC using the Movies & TV app without issue.

So, what steps have I taken? I have conducted the following:

1. Run the Repair / Reset on the Movies & TV UWP app
    2. Reinstalled the Shark007 Codec Pack
    3. Installed the K-Lite Codec Pack
    4. Uninstall / reinstall the Movies & TV UWP app via the Windows Store twice
    5. Uninstalled the Movies & TV UWP app using PS script then reinstalled via Windows Store
    6. Run the steps for System File Checker tool as per Use the System File Checker tool to repair
      missing or corrupted system files (microsoft.com)
      1. This found some missing files however after restarting and reinstalling the Movies & TV UWP app the issue remained
      2. I re-ran the SFC and no missing files were found
    7. Run the in built Windows Troubleshooter for not being able to play videos and result came back all codec's and programs working as expected no issues detected
    8. Spoke with MS Tech Support first level via chat who advised after going through the above that a full Windows 10 reinstall would now be necessary to resolve
    Each of the above was interspaced with PC restarts. I have also confirmed that the video files can be played in Microsoft Edge (88.0.673.0 (Official
    build) dev (64-bit))

Now I could keep using VLC, but to be honest I really prefer the Movies & TV app. If it was just video playback that this was affecting, I probably would just deal with it, unfortunately though, this error is preventing me from launching Microsoft Flight
    Simulator. This is due to the fact that that program launches and has some non-skippable mp4 videos that play as the program launches. At present this issue is resulting in the sim hanging at launch and never loading as it cannot load until these videos play,
    and this error, whatever it is, is preventing these videos from playing.

I would like to avoid a Windows reinstall, so I am here to look for advice and see if there is anything I might have missed or could do in additon to what has already been done.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Cheers

Tristan

Iceheart, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

Unable to play 10-bit MP4 video files

1. Unable to play 10-bit MP4 video files - Similar Threads - Unable play bit

2. Cannot play MP4 Videos .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot play MP4 Videos .: Ok so when i open an MP4 vid it says "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" It was a video file from bandicam Screen Recorder App I tried rerinstalling the app removing folders still i cant play anything !...
  3. Cannot play MP4 Videos .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot play MP4 Videos .: Ok so when i open an MP4 vid it says "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" It was a video file from bandicam Screen Recorder App I tried rerinstalling the app removing folders still i cant play anything !...
  4. Unable to Play MP4 Files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Play MP4 Files: So I have had a very odd situation develop. I am unable to play mp4 files or any video content using the native Movies & TV UWP app. When I attempt to play, I get an error Can't play Choose something else to play. This item is in a format we don't support. 0xc00d36b4...
  5. MP4 files will not play

MP4 files will not play: Suddenly mp4 files that have been forward to me will not play in VLC. When I click on the file I end up with this message: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\SB53GZ50\ plus statement Invalid Value for Registery. I am not positive but it seems to have...
  6. MP4 video files won't play- Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MP4 video files won't play- Windows 10: I have a lot of MP4 video files that I recorded on my iphone and have since uploaded to my computer either through my phone or through dropbox. However I can't get them to play, which means I can't use them in my video editor. After researching I've found that Windows 10...
  7. MP4 video not playing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MP4 video not playing in Windows 10: MP4 video not playing in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp4-video-not-playing-in-windows-10/0670a6ab-2af4-4ec5-a7bf-a34bc96d50ee
  8. windows 10 unable to play video files MP4 - error code 0xc00d5212

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 unable to play video files MP4 - error code 0xc00d5212: Hello, It's all in the title... I then installed a CODEC pack (K-Lite Codec) : images are all mixed up !! Thanks or any help !!...
  9. Mp4 video unable to play

Mp4 video unable to play: Hi, everyone. I got a video mp4 unable to play or cannot render this file when i am play with windows media player. I have tried to repair the video with Stella Phoenix video repair. But its same. [img] [img] [img] This video still have the file size, but it just...
  10. Unable to play MP4 file....?

Unable to play MP4 file....?: Hi For some reason I'm unable to play a downloaded MP4 video file with Win Media Player or VLC saying cannot render or wrong codec which I've not come across before. Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not...