Windows 10: Unable to play Steam Games... Sound Init Fail error

Discus and support Unable to play Steam Games... Sound Init Fail error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I cannot play games on my computer that rely on files from directx 9.0. The error Sound Init Fail appears. I use laptop running Windows 10 legally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KesleneStephens, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Unable to play Steam Games... Sound Init Fail error

I cannot play games on my computer that rely on files from directx 9.0. The error Sound Init Fail appears. I use laptop running Windows 10 legally purchased in the Windows Store. Can I get those files into directx 12.0?

:)

KesleneStephens, Feb 24, 2019
  2. BootiePup Win User

Sound Init Fail- Steam Games

Steam has answered and they say to install directx 9 and I have run the games in compatibility mode and they all come back with a 'sound init failed'. The games are otome and made by the publisher Dogenzeka Labs. It's all of their games frankly, and I wish
    to play them again, but after updating to the most recent version of Windows 10 that became impossible. I've tried everything I could think of because I prefer to handle these on my own, but I am at a lost.

I updated my drivers, I've installed the C++ VS packages, I've tried to run these programs in compatibility mode and nothing. It's the same error 'Sound Init Failed'.

BootiePup, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Sound Init Fail- Steam Games

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What exactly happens when you try to play the game?

2. Which games are you trying play on your PC?

3. Since when are you facing this issue?

Reply with the information to the above questions, in order to assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Windows 10 comes with DirectX 12.0 by default.
    Updates will be available through Windows Update. There is no stand-alone package for these versions of DirectX and we do not have the option to downgrade Direct X. Some of the old games will required DirectX 9.0 to run and will not run on DirectX 12.0.
    Refer the following article for more information on
    DirectX

However you can try to install the games in compatibility mode and check if that helps:

1. Right-click on the game setup file.

2. Click on
    ‘properties’.

3. Click on the
    ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7/8/8.1 operating system

4. Click on
    ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

If the issue persist, I suggest you to contact
    Steam support
    , they will be able to help you find a resolution for this issue.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 24, 2019
  4. BootiePup Win User

Unable to play Steam Games... Sound Init Fail error

Sound Init Fail- Steam Games

I find that it's impossible to play steam games that rely on files from directx 9.0

Is there away to get those files into directx 12.0, or a way to play my games?

My computer is using windows 10, store bought and came with the software. If you can help I would appreciate it, thank you!

BootiePup, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Unable to play Steam Games... Sound Init Fail error

1. Unable to play Steam Games... Sound Init Fail error - Similar Threads - Unable play Steam

2. Trying to play a steam game and it's giving me an error.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Trying to play a steam game and it's giving me an error.: Trying to play batman arkham asylum through steam and it's giving me an error saying:"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close...
  3. Trying to play a steam game and it's giving me an error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to play a steam game and it's giving me an error.: Trying to play batman arkham asylum through steam and it's giving me an error saying:"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close...
  4. Trying to play a steam game and it's giving me an error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Fail To Init Plugins

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fail To Init Plugins: Been getting a strange error message on boot up recently - see attached image. You'd think it was connected to the calculator app but no, or at least I don't think so. I have uninstalled calculator and the message still pops up on boot up. Any suggestions please?...
  6. Livekernel error when trying to play some steam games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Livekernel error when trying to play some steam games: Hello, My PC has been crashing every time I try to play a game. I can only play certain games, but others cause my PC to crash for some reason. I can play games like League of Legends and Hades, but when I try to play other steam games I get a kernal error code that says...
  7. i am unable to play most downloaded and installed games on steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i am unable to play most downloaded and installed games on steam: It is not letting me play scum or warframe (steam downloaded) game on my windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-unable-to-play-most-downloaded-and-installed/94d5598c-ae28-4d47-aeb9-c27f437b2f8d
  8. Unable to Play Sounds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Play Sounds: Today when I fired up my pc it was showing a red cross on the sound icon on the taskbar when I clicked on it it started Troubleshooter but troubleshooter couldn't help me when I open playback devices it is showing my Speakers and when I clicked test nothing happens I tried...
  9. Unable to play game on Steam error: Parental controls have blocked the access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to play game on Steam error: Parental controls have blocked the access: I tried to access a game on Steam and was told that Windows parental controls have blocked my access. I am an adult of 70+ tears with no children presently in residence and everything I find says I need to set up a child's account to disable parental controls. What if one has...
  10. Sound Init Fail- Steam Games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Init Fail- Steam Games: I find that it's impossible to play steam games that rely on files from directx 9.0 Is there away to get those files into directx 12.0, or a way to play my games? My computer is using windows 10, store bought and came with the software. If you can help I would appreciate...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to play games on steam