Windows 10: Unable to play test tone, and no Audio on any device.

Discus and support Unable to play test tone, and no Audio on any device. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've been having some major problems with Windows 10 audio and other issues as well, since the latest update installed yesterday. That would be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DaneCross, Apr 16, 2020.

1. DaneCross Win User

Unable to play test tone, and no Audio on any device.

Hi, I've been having some major problems with Windows 10 audio and other issues as well, since the latest update installed yesterday. That would be update KB4549951. Everything was operating per normal until this update installed.

After the update, the first thing I noticed was that my computer had NO sound. Here are the steps that I took to attempt to resolve this:

1. Ran the Windows troubleshooter for audio, which reported that the Windows Audio driver was not running.
    2. Attempted to start the Windows Audio services, which reported back as access denied.
    3. Altered the properties for the Windows Audio service under the Log-On tab to "Local System Account" and checked "Allow service to interact with desktop" and changed permissions to get past the denied access.
    4. Successfully was able to restart the service. Still no audio at this point.The only difference is that there is no longer an "x" over the audio symbol in the taskbar, and everything looks like it should be working.
    5. I then attempted to check things in the audio control panel and tried the "test function for my audio sources. It reports back "Unable to play test tone"
    6. At this point, I am aware that there is likely a problem with the update that I had installed earlier. I tried to uninstall the update, Windows would report that the update was Uninstalled, but it was right back underinstalled updates after restarting. I tried this multiple times.
    7. At this point, I tried restore points. I tried a restore point from the same day before the update was installed, but after restarting at that restore point, Windows reports that the restore point failed to be loaded.
    8. I tried reloading from an even further back restore point but that had exactly the same error.
    9. I ran "sfc /scannow" in an administrator command prompt, and that reported back that there were files that were corrupt and replaced. Still no audio, same problem as before
    10. After checking Windows Update again, I noticed that there were the same updates that were installed before, on the Updates Available list, but they were stuck as "Download Pending" and would not change from this over hours.
    11. I ran DISM to try and get Windows Update back up and running but that did nothing to resolve any issues.
    12. I reinstalled all audio drivers from my motherboard manufacturer's website. No audio, same problem as before.

Sorry for the large list, but I wanted to avoid any recommendations to do things I've already done since I've checked every related thread about issues similar to this.

That's where I am now, at a complete loss. I would appreciate any help at all. My last resort will be to reinstall Windows 10 entirely but I would like to avoid that since I would lose a lot of information and waste a lot of time.

Thanks in advance

:)

DaneCross, Apr 16, 2020

2. Fail to play test tone on any audio device.

My computer is a windows 10 alienware laptop that has failed to play a test tone with my speakers, tv or bluetooth headphones. I believe my bluetooth headphones were connected when I walked out of range and disconnected which started the issue. I have tried
    the following things to try and fix it.

Disabling and enabling the audio speakers

• Updating the drivers
    • Uninstalling the drivers and restarting so that it automatically puts in the audio driver
    • Restarting the Windows Audio Services

sfc scannow to repair corrupted files

Change the sample rate of the audio

Disable audio enhancements
    • Enable applications to take exclusive control of the device.
    • Disable applications to take exclusive control of the device.
    • I checked and no updates have been installed since it was working.

Install High Definition Audio Device
    • Run the troubleshooter
    • Set audio speakers as the Default
    • Try other speaker options such as BT headphones and a TV through HDMI
    • Change local and user group settings
    Any help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

JeremyDonahue, Apr 16, 2020
  3. silk186 Win User
    Setting up two separate audio devices in 'playback devices', passed tone test but no sound.

I have three audio devices connected to my computer:

• HDMI - TV (updated ATI drivers to fix this)
    • Analog (green) - Monitor
    • Analog (black) - speakers

Initially the monitor and speakers played the same output simultaneously. I wanted to be able to switch between outputs in 'play back devices'.

In Realtek HD Audio Manager I changed two settings "Make Front and Rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously" and "disable front panel jack detection". Now I have three devices in 'playback devices', TV, Monitor and Speakers.
    The TV and Speakers work correctly, but my monitor doesn't have sound despite passing the tone test. When a video is play, the green bar goes up and down in playback devices but no sound.

silk186, Apr 16, 2020
  4. Bransonb3 Win User

No audio from speakers; Failed to play test tone.

I have a Dell Latitude E6520 running Windows 10 Pro x64. When I try to watch YouTube I get no audio. Spotify plays and gives no errors but doesn't have sound. When I plug in headphone sound plays but as communications headphones. When I try to play a test sound through Speakers/Headphones I get an error that says "Failed to play test tone." When I try to troubleshoot it can't identify the problem. I have attached the report from troubleshooting.
    Thanks in advance for helping.
    Branson

Bransonb3, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to play test tone, and no Audio on any device. - Similar Threads - Unable play test

2. Persistent Failed to play Test Tone Error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Persistent Failed to play Test Tone Error: Problem with sound began with a Red X on the speaker icon.Tried several uninstalls and re-installs of Audio Drivers and plugged and unplugged speakers and headphone.Finally decided it might be a motherboard fault to decided to get a new board and CPU.Now, the Red X is gone,...
  3. No Audio; Nothing in Volume Mixer; Failed to play test tone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Audio; Nothing in Volume Mixer; Failed to play test tone: I have no idea what the problem is. Everything was fine a couple days ago. I was on discord and all of a sudden my audio was playing through discord so everyone was able to hear. My mic stopped working. So I restarted my computer forgetting that there was an update loaded....
  4. failed to play test tone error plz help ??

failed to play test tone error plz help ??: I I have msi GF63 THIN and I have a problem about audio device it say [ failed to play test tone ] - how I can solve this problem I have tried all the steps shows on the google and nothing work for my , what I can do to fix this problem plz help :...
  5. Failed to play test tone on audio driver Realtek(R) Audio

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Failed to play test tone on audio driver Realtek(R) Audio: Here is everything i have tried so far:Restarting computerTroubleshooting "prompted that the issue has been fixed, and that restarting the computer will fix it"Using CMD to look for corrupted filesDisabling and Re-enabling the driver.Uninstalling the driver and restarting the...
  6. audio failed to test tone and audio service not responding

audio failed to test tone and audio service not responding: after update wnowoes it showing above problems try all the methods which are available on nets still not solve problem pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-failed-to-test-tone-and-audio-service-not/9ac43d32-45b5-40f1-9988-1b2b8f9e2e25
  7. No audio, failed to play test tone after windows update.

No audio, failed to play test tone after windows update.: I've tried restarting both of the windows audio services (including AudioEndpointBuilder) as well as reinstalling the exact realtek audio driver for my motherboard that fixed a similar issue previously. When I try to change the default audio format (frequency and bit depth)...
  8. Fail to play test tone on any audio device.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fail to play test tone on any audio device.: My computer is a windows 10 alienware laptop that has failed to play a test tone with my speakers, tv or bluetooth headphones. I believe my bluetooth headphones were connected when I walked out of range and disconnected which started the issue. I have tried the following...
  9. No audio from speakers; Failed to play test tone.

No audio from speakers; Failed to play test tone.: I have a Dell Latitude E6520 running Windows 10 Pro x64. When I try to watch YouTube I get no audio. Spotify plays and gives no errors but doesn't have sound. When I plug in headphone sound plays but as communications headphones. When I try to play a test sound through...
  10. Conexant 20671 audio driver - "failed to play test tone"

Conexant 20671 audio driver - "failed to play test tone": Hi all I am having repeatedly problems with my audio since i've installed windows 10. After searching for solution the only method that works is to run sfc /scannow and restart. But after I'm restarting I have no sound again. I'm with Lenovo e420s cto4401. tried...