Windows 10: Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a...

Discus and support Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I expected this to happen and before changing the motherboard I linked my microsoft account with my computer so the license would not be lost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DM_25565, Jul 27, 2019.

1. DM_25565 Win User

Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a...

I expected this to happen and before changing the motherboard I linked my microsoft account with my computer so the license would not be lost afterwards.

But turns out something is not working as expected, because I cannot re-activate this computer with my license.

The error I see on the activation tab is: 0xC004F025

Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a... f86b22ee-7fad-4672-bef2-f6d3470b9792?upload=true.png

When I click on "solve problems" and then "I changed my hardware" I get this screen showing that in fact the license is on my Microsoft Account!!!

Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a... 52f9810c-c8b4-4386-b6cc-2c43796834c6?upload=true.png

But after clicking Activate, I get this error telling me to try later..

Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a... 0898e88f-a2ef-4088-9d05-07ee26f58eab?upload=true.png

Has anyone experienced something like this? Is Microsoft currently having problems with their activation servers?

This is extremely frustrating, I wish we could just use the traditional serial keys.

:)

DM_25565, Jul 27, 2019
  2. Jguo65 Win User

Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Hi,

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and my windows settings say I have a digital license. I recently bought a new motherboard and new SSD. I cloned the OS from my old SSD to my new SSD and my PC can boot and I can log in, however it tells me that I need
    to activate windows. I was under the assumption that the digital license I had would follow my account, so when I would log in it would activate windows but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Do I need to deactivate the digital license on the previous motherboard/SSD first before I can reactivate on my new hardware? That is the only other explanation I could think of as to why this isn't working, but I don't want to deactivate my digital license
    on my old hardware only to have this issue persist on my current new hardware. Could I get confirmation? And if so, can I also get steps on how to properly dissociate my digital license from the old hardware before I can use it for my new hardware?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jguo65, Jul 27, 2019
  3. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Jul 27, 2019
  4. Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a...

windows 10 activation after upgrading motherboard

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Jul 27, 2019
Thema:

Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a...

1. Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a... - Similar Threads - Unable activate digital

2. Windows 10 digital license re-activation after HW change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 digital license re-activation after HW change: Hi guysI have a digital license of Windows 10, and needed to change the motherboard.I linked my digital license to my Microsoft account, swapped the HW, booted my PC, and tried to re-activate Windows.Just like it says here Reactivating Windows after a hardware change...
  3. Windows 10 digital license re-activation after HW change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 digital license re-activation after HW change: Hi guysI have a digital license of Windows 10, and need to change the motherboard.I linked my digital license to my Microsoft account, swapped the HW, booted my PC, and tried to re-activate Windows.Just like it says here Reactivating Windows after a hardware change...
  4. Unable to activate Windows 10 using a digital license

Unable to activate Windows 10 using a digital license: Hello,I bought a new computer and want to activate Windows 10 Home. I have a digital license associated with my account upgraded from windows 8, windows was not pre installed on my computer at the time. However, after troubleshooting and informing hardware change, I get the...
  5. Unable to activate Windows 10 using a digital license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate Windows 10 using a digital license: Hello,I bought a new computer and want to activate Windows 10 Home. I have a digital license associated with my account upgraded from windows 8, windows was not pre installed on my computer at the time. However, after troubleshooting and informing hardware change, I get the...
  6. Unable to activate Windows 10 using a digital license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 digital license re-use

Windows 10 digital license re-use: Hi, According to activation settings page, I have a digital Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft account. In case I need to change to a new computer due to theft or upgrade, is this type of license eligible for re-installation? Which information will I need to...
  8. Windows 10 re-activation after motherboard upgrade

Windows 10 re-activation after motherboard upgrade: I have recently upgraded my PC motherboard, having obtained a digital licence on my microsoft account with the original motherboard. When trying to activate windows using the new motherboard, I'm told that microsoft can't find any devices. There are 2 devices on my account...
  9. Windows 10 Home unable to activate digital license after replacing motherboard 0xC004F213

Windows 10 Home unable to activate digital license after replacing motherboard 0xC004F213: I have a laptop I built myself and purchased a Windows 10 Home digital license a few years back. [ATTACH] Any upgrade I have done over the years, has been met with a simple logging in with my Windows account to the machine and it activates. Now however, it seems my...
  10. Windows 10 reactivation through digital license after motherboard upgrade

Windows 10 reactivation through digital license after motherboard upgrade: I recently installed a new motherboard for my computer as I needed to upgrade my CPU. I heard that if I linked my windows 10 license to my Microsoft account I would be able to reactivate after a hardware change. I tried to reactivate but the troubleshooter kept giving me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to activate windows digital license

2. activation lost after motherboard upgrade digital license

3. what happens if i dont activate windows 10