Windows 10: Unable to re-activate windows after MOBO upgrade

Discus and support Unable to re-activate windows after MOBO upgrade in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have recently installed a new motherboard, and the only thing left to do is reactivate Windows 10. I thought this was going to be easy. I prepared in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Pizzamann_, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Unable to re-activate windows after MOBO upgrade

I have recently installed a new motherboard, and the only thing left to do is reactivate Windows 10. I thought this was going to be easy. I prepared in advance by making sure my digital license was linked to my Microsoft account. After running the activation troubleshooter, Windows detected that I had a device that needed activation. I hit activate, and I get "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later".

That's it. I tried contacting support but they need a product key (I don't have because of a digital license) or proof of purchase ( I bought Windows 7 years ago and took advantage of the free upgrade)

Please help. I really do not think I have to purchase a new copy of W10.

submitted by /u/Pizzamann_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Pizzamann_, Nov 16, 2019

2. Changing my MOBO and CPU a

I'm doing PC upgrades and changes entirely for my new mini-itx build.

I'm not sure about how the process would work, but what are the appropriate steps I need to undertake before making my changes?

• My personal data and files are backed up to my Onedrive, and have nothing to lose in terms of data.
    • I have an additional copy of Windows 10 (but would prefer not to use it in-case I do another PC build).
    • My MOBO and CPU upgrades are polar opposites of my current hardware:
      • OLD HARDWARE
        • Intel i5 6500
        • AsRock Killer MOBO
      • New Hardware
        • AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
        • Asus Strix X-470
    This is my first time doing a particular change so guiding steps would be greatly appreciated! Things like how to wipe my hard-drive and reinstall Windows, etc.

Chris Anguiano, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Chris[L] Win User
    Can not activate windows 10 after replacing MOBO

Can't get my windows 10 to activate. Had a windows 7 then upgraded to 10 prior to changing the MOBO. Was wondering what I can do and yes I did all the steps and no I did not have my account linked. Could someone please help

Chris[L], Nov 16, 2019
  4. Unable to re-activate windows after MOBO upgrade

Unable to Activate Win 8

I got Win 8 isntalled on my file server, but I am unable to activate it with the key. Says the key is invalid. Since I work at microsoft I got a retail version from the employee store. I have been doing some reading, and to be able to activate Win8 with the key there needs to be a previous version of Windows installed for it to work. WTF, so you can't do clean installs?

And the box says nothing about Upgrade version. Straight Windows 8 Pro.

MxPhenom 216, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

Unable to re-activate windows after MOBO upgrade

1. Unable to re-activate windows after MOBO upgrade - Similar Threads - Unable activate MOBO

2. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO: How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-activation-windows-after-swapping-mobo/b0d620a3-a9a0-47ec-9079-ce06875ad54b
  3. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO: How to I reactivate my windows key after swapping Motherboards? I followed all the troubleshooting steps with no resolution to issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-activation-windows-after-swapping-mobo/b0d620a3-a9a0-47ec-9079-ce06875ad54b
  4. Re-Activation Windows after swapping MOBO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo: Hello, 2 days ago, i upgrade my motherboard pc, and i can't Activate windows in my new motherboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activate-windows-after-upgrade-mobo/5297c91c-a807-418c-9be1-12edf0072896
  6. can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo: Hello, 2 days ago, i upgrade my motherboard pc, and i can't Activate windows in my new motherboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activate-windows-after-upgrade-mobo/5297c91c-a807-418c-9be1-12edf0072896
  7. Unable to activate Windows after re-installing

Unable to activate Windows after re-installing: Hi,I'm having some activation issues.Some back story first to explain the issue:I had Windows 7, did the free upgrade to Windows 10 - never linked it to a Microsoft account, set a PIN locally and a password, this was before the 1803 release, so no security questions.I decided...
  8. Re-Activation of windows after mobo change

Re-Activation of windows after mobo change: So I changed my mobo and cpu, before I connected the licence for windows 10 pro to my Microsoft account, but now it says that im already logged in and can't recover my licence...
  9. Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade

Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade: I recently changed my mobo and cpu and after i had to reinstall windows but when it booted up. I noticed the watermark in the bottom right corner. And i tried to activate windows and i dindt succeed i tried the option to activate windows after a hardware change and i...
  10. Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade: I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses). This PC was originally Win 7 Home and I used the free upgrade facility to go to Win 10 Home. This PC is listed as one of my devices under my account at...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to reactivate wtf windows