Windows 10: Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU

Discus and support Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I built a computer about a month ago and had no issue getting to the BIOS. Although, I found that the MOBO had issues after a few weeks and decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Reasy, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Reasy Win User

Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU

I built a computer about a month ago and had no issue getting to the BIOS. Although, I found that the MOBO had issues after a few weeks and decided to purchase a different one(as well as a new PSU, but that isn't important). Since the new MOBO has been put in, I have been unable to get into BIOS when my GPU is in the computer. My monitors both get no signal until login screen. I know for a fact that the computer enters BIOS still if I spam the key, as the login screen never comes and it is just constant no signal. When I take the GPU out of the computer and connect to the onboard graphics, I can get to BIOS fine and have no problems. When I was in BIOS, I tried turning off fast boot as well as making sure my main GPU is set to be run on start, but still the problem persists. I have also tried turning off the onboard, granted I'm not sure if I did it correctly.

I have updated the BIOS and downloaded all drivers for the computer. I just want to be able to get to BIOS on the computer with my GPU plugged in.

I have an MSI motherboard.

Win Ver: 20H2

MOBO: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi

RAM: Corsair 32gb

CPU: I7 10700

GPU: MSI GTX 960

:)

Reasy, Oct 27, 2020
  2. Reasy Win User

Ah, okay. My monitors were already set correctly in NCP unfortunately. Hmmm..
    May have to go into BIOS and play around a bit, but is a huge hassle when I have to keep unplugging and plugging my GPU in to test.

Reasy, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Ghot Win User

Set both display running in NCP... then right click the one you want to be Primary and choose: Make Primary.
    When it's set it will show an asterisk.

You will only see the asterisk when both monitors are enabled. But the one you SET to primary will be remembered from then on.

You'll have to experiment to see which cable defaults to primary, when not manually set.
    On my 780Ti the HDMI defaulted to primary but I could set the DVI to primary.
    On my RTX 2070 (3x DP and 1xHDMI), not only did I have to set the DP connected monitor to Primary, but also had to plug the DP cable into the correct one of the 3x DP cables.

Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU [​IMG]

4. Reasy Win User

Will do! I messed with them a little before and PEG was the set as the primary on boot, but I think I can definitely mess with some other settings without hopefully messing anything up. I hadn't thought about integrated GPU in CPU before.

Does my standalone GPU have to be connected to view certain settings? I didn't think so but just thought i'd ask as, to get to BIOS, I have to have it completely taken out of the computer.

Reasy, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU - Similar Threads - Unable Reach BIOS

2. GPU stops running when bios boots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GPU stops running when bios boots: Asus ROG STRIX B550f, AMD Ryzen 9 12 core, 32gb ram with 2tb, Xfx Radeon swft310 10gb gpu, gpu turns off when bios boots into windows and displays no signal, cpu shows no fault lights and cpu is running normal in bios, any thought? Everything worked perfectly the prior day...
  3. GPU stops running when bios boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU stops running when bios boots: Asus ROG STRIX B550f, AMD Ryzen 9 12 core, 32gb ram with 2tb, Xfx Radeon swft310 10gb gpu, gpu turns off when bios boots into windows and displays no signal, cpu shows no fault lights and cpu is running normal in bios, any thought? Everything worked perfectly the prior day...
  4. GPU stops running when bios boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WSL2 unable to reach network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 unable to reach network: When I installed WSL2, my distros stopped being able to access the internet when I set them to version 2. After a lot of digging around, I realized that WSL2 uses the Hyper-V adapters for this and in my case the WSL adapter that was created, was set to internal. I had to...
  6. Recovery Boot Black Screen when trying to reach BIOS.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Boot Black Screen when trying to reach BIOS.: I have a Gigabyte Aorus 570x motherboard and I enabled Ultra Fast boot in the bios after recently upgrading to Windows 11. Now that I enabled it, I am unable to reach the bios and I need to in order to turn secure boot on. I looked at another post, which recommended starting...
  7. Recovery Boot Black Screen when trying to reach BIOS.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Boot Black Screen when trying to reach BIOS.: I have a Gigabyte Aorus 570x motherboard and I enabled Ultra Fast boot in the bios after recently upgrading to Windows 11. Now that I enabled it, I am unable to reach the bios and I need to in order to turn secure boot on. I looked at another post, which recommended starting...
  8. Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable To Reach BIOS When Connected to Standalone GPU: I built a computer about a month ago and had no issue getting to the BIOS. Although, I found that the MOBO had issues after a few weeks and decided to purchase a different one(as well as a new PSU, but that isn't important). Since the new MOBO has been put in, I have been...
  9. Unable to reach online site

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to reach online site: I am unable to reach a site that i have been using for years. Keep getting this message: Hmmm can't reach that page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-reach-online-site/baf61a49-3db5-43ef-9545-9f9f9ecb03ca
  10. Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated: Hey guys I've had this persisting issue with this particular build since I got the i7, the mobo and the ram. The GPU and the PSU have been used in previous builds with absolutely zero issues. This issue has stopped and started over several months, starting when the...