Windows 10: Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after Hardware Change

Discus and support Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after Hardware Change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there, As the title states I am unable to reactivate my copy of Windows 10 after changing my motherboard and graphics card. I've read online that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Polygondwana, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after Hardware Change

Hi there,

As the title states I am unable to reactivate my copy of Windows 10 after changing my motherboard and graphics card. I've read online that it may not be possible to reactivate it due to the change in hardware acting as a brand new machine. I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for free a few years ago so I believe I would have a digital license as opposed to a key?

When I advance to the page where I select my device via the activation troubleshooting page it states 'Unable to activate Windows. We can't activate Windows on this device. Please try again later."

I've also heard that there is something of an unwritten number of times Windows can be reactivated? I upgraded my hardware back in October but the hardware was faulty and I had to send it back. In the time I had that hardware there was nowhere that stated I needed to reactivate Windows 10. I only changed my graphics card at this time so I wonder if it was the more recent change of the motherboard that has made it an impossible task? I also had the thought that the first time I changed hardware added to that unwritten number of times that I could reactivate Windows and that I've now used them all up somehow - despite never using the hardware back in October for more than a few days before sending it back.

I would appreciate any help and hope I've been clear enough.

Cheers.

:)

Polygondwana, Jul 5, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 reactivation on hardware changes

Hi Florea,

It is possible that Windows won't be able to identify your computer correctly that is why the operating system is not activated. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 5, 2019
  3. KimberRoo Win User
    Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change

Hi there,

I recently upgraded system hardware including Motherboard and am unable to reactivate Windows 10 via the activation troubleshooter:

I have tried removing my old PC configuration from the list of devices in my windows account but still no luck!

• My windows account was linked to my PC prior to the change
    • Login in / out of my windows account has no effect
    • My version of windows was a free upgrade program from Windows 7, would this be an issue?
    Any help and ideas would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

KimberRoo, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after Hardware Change

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after Hardware Change

1. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after Hardware Change - Similar Threads - Unable reactivate Hardware

2. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change: I upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and now it won't activate windows 10. I tried all of the troubleshooting options but can't seem to get online support as phone support is no longer valid. I checked the license and according to another post here, it's a Retail version...
  3. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change: I upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and now it won't activate windows 10. I tried all of the troubleshooting options but can't seem to get online support as phone support is no longer valid. I checked the license and according to another post here, it's a Retail version...
  4. unable to reactivate windows 10 after a hardware change

unable to reactivate windows 10 after a hardware change: I had to replace most of my PC hardware after it got fried by a thunderstorm. Finally rebuilt it and now it says I cant reactivate my windows from this device with the error code 0x803FABBA which is absent from the error code troubleshooting page. I tried reaching support but...
  5. Unable to reactivate windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to reactivate windows 10 after hardware change: I bought a new CPU/motherboard installed everything and was able to reactivate windows by signing in to my account with the digital license. The board I was sent was faulty and had to be replaced about a week later. After which I was unable to reactivate. I have followed the...
  6. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change.: I'm aware this is probably a very common post on this sub, just looking for some advice on how to proceed. My dad and I recently upgraded his PC, it's mostly a completely new build, all we really transferred over were his hard drives. We made the mistake of not confirming...
  7. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change: Hi all, I recently upgraded my PC with a new motherboard and CPU. In the process my copy of Windows 10 became deactivated. I looked up the issue online, which led me to this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530 I followed all the steps here and in the...
  8. Unable To Reactivate Windows 10 After Changing Hardware

Unable To Reactivate Windows 10 After Changing Hardware: I upgraded to Windows 10 about a month ago. I used my Product Key and everything worked perfectly. I had a hardware failure and needed to replace my motherboard and CPU for my desktop computer. After replacing the hardware I booted the PC and it went straight to Windows,...
  9. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change: About a year ago, I changed out my motherboard from an old one (I don't remember the model) to an MSI Z97 Gaming 3 motherboard. I think this caused my Windows 10 to unactivate, but I didn't notice it until a few months ago. It didn't bother me too much because I could still...
  10. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change.

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change.: Hi, Previously, I had a copy of windows 10 that was upgraded from windows 8. The copy of windows 8 was from a disk I purchased separately a few years ago (not an oem as far as I am aware). Unfortunately, it recently became corrupted and I needed to reinstall (somehow it was...