Windows 10: Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Discus and support Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there. I recently had a significant hardware upgrade to my PC but am still using all the old hard drives, including the one I installed Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kbresnik, Sep 6, 2020.

1. kbresnik Win User

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Hi there.

I recently had a significant hardware upgrade to my PC but am still using all the old hard drives, including the one I installed Windows 10 on many years ago. I've since lost my activation key, so I went to updates & security > activation in my settings and ran the troubleshooter. I clicked the "I changed hardware on this device recently" link, but the Microsoft Account window says it is unable to activate Windows and that it can't find any linked devices that can be used for reactivating my current device. When I check my account my old PC's info is still there. Is there no way for me to resurrect my old Windows 10 license from that device, and if so why? If I can reactivate it, how would I go about doing so?

:)

kbresnik, Sep 6, 2020
  2. Cyred771 Win User

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard change.

I purchased Windows 8 and upgraded for free to Windows 10 when I still had my old motherboard. Now it doesn't let me reactivate it.

I followed these steps:

• Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Activation , and then select Troubleshoot. You must be signed in as an administrator.
    • The troubleshooter will show a message that Windows can’t be activated on your device. Select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.

After that I just get this message:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license
    on this device or try again later.

But I am signed in with my only microsoft account and when I sign in to https://www.microsoft.com and look at my account I can see my PC's name together with my old motherboard name as a device.

Do I have to buy a new Windows 10 now or what am I supposed to do?

Cyred771, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the motherboard, clean install Windows 10 and then run troubleshooter to reactivate with the same Microsoft account? What would happen if I use the Remove PC option in the list of devices in my Microsoft Account? Is there a way to do a remote wipe from the Microsoft account with Find My Device?

Keith Weisshar, Sep 6, 2020
  4. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Motherboard change unable to reactivate Windows 10 Pro -

Out of curiosity, what does it say under Activation in Settings?

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

1. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade - Similar Threads - Unable reactivate motherboard

2. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  3. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  4. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SOLVED Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SOLVED Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard change: I had to replace the motherboard on my gaming PC and after restarting Windows I had to reactivate. None of the methods within Windows worked and when I tried phone activation SLUI 04, nothing happened. I then found my local support number, called it and after multiple number...
  6. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard change: I had to replace the motherboard on my gaming PC and after restarting Windows I had to reactivate. None of the methods within Windows worked and when I tried phone activation SLUI 04, nothing happened. I then found my local support number, called it and after multiple number...
  7. Unable to reactivate Windows after changing Motherboard

Unable to reactivate Windows after changing Motherboard: Split from this thread. Merry Christmas, gamers! Want help getting started with your new device? : hey I switched my motherboard and it just doesn't want to reactivate plz help me dude ***Modified title from: Switched my motherboard and it doesn't want to reactivate***...
  8. reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: My motherboard failed and I replaced it with a new board. Now windows 10 is prompting me to activate again. The activation code was embedded in the old motherboard and I don't have the code number. Activation says the code shown under system settings is not valid. Can I...
  9. Unable to reactivate after motherboard replacement

Unable to reactivate after motherboard replacement: i recently replaced my motherboard and didn't create a restore point nor do i have the key as it was i think bought somewhere online. In my microsoft account the previous PC(with old Motherboard) is still shown in my account which i think is still activated for some reason...
  10. Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.

Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.: Hey all I recently upgraded my motherboard and tried reactivating windows by going to Activation clicking on troubleshoot and clicking on the option that says I changed hardware on this device recently and selecting my old computer unfortunately Im just greeted with the text...