Windows 10: Unable to reactivate Windows after a harware upgrade

Discus and support Unable to reactivate Windows after a harware upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there, I Upgraded my machine recently and as expected my Windows 10 reported that there was a change. [ATTACH] However the troubleshooter says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DiscoGypsyFish, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Unable to reactivate Windows after a harware upgrade

Hi there,
    I Upgraded my machine recently and as expected my Windows 10 reported that there was a change.

Unable to reactivate Windows after a harware upgrade 170237a9-1e35-44fc-a89a-589acfa5982f?upload=true.png

However the troubleshooter says it cannot activate.

Unable to reactivate Windows after a harware upgrade 72969a8e-89e6-4116-87ee-abc5521a19ac?upload=true.png

Clicking on I have made a hardware change I get this message, unable to activate windows.

Unable to reactivate Windows after a harware upgrade 2b0fbd4a-0968-448b-8cf7-9ac8da1ebbc2?upload=true.png

On my microsoft account I can see this new PC is the only device on my account.

:)

DiscoGypsyFish, Feb 11, 2020
  2. Boyfriend Win User

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Windows reactivation troubleshooter

I'm a mute so i can't speak with support by their call number they provide after their automated assistant.

I changed hardware on my device recently and i'm unable to activate windows through the reactivation from the troubleshooter.

it's been a month since i changed harware and i've been trying almost everyday since then.

MomokaHaru, Feb 11, 2020
  4. kg4icg Win User

Unable to reactivate Windows after a harware upgrade

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

Then why does it say fs/ft i7-920 in his tag and he wants to downgrade to am3 system? to go from a am2/2+ to am3 isn't a downgrade last time I checked

kg4icg, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Unable to reactivate Windows after a harware upgrade

1. Unable to reactivate Windows after a harware upgrade - Similar Threads - Unable reactivate harware

2. Unable to Activate after Harware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Activate after Harware Change: Hello.Previously, I was running Windows 11 Enterprise my company had purchased Windows 10 Enterprise for me and I took the normal upgrade path when Win 11 was available.Yesterday, I had to replace the motherboard and reinstall Windows.After installing Windows 11 Enterprise...
  3. Unable to Activate after Harware Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Activate after Harware Change: Hello.Previously, I was running Windows 11 Enterprise my company had purchased Windows 10 Enterprise for me and I took the normal upgrade path when Win 11 was available.Yesterday, I had to replace the motherboard and reinstall Windows.After installing Windows 11 Enterprise...
  4. Reactivating after changing my harware,but deleted my old linked device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating after changing my harware,but deleted my old linked device: I've tried the instruction of reactivating my Windows after changing my hardware. But because I deleted my old computer by mistake, there is no linked device. How could I reactivate my device now?I upgraded my CPU and changed my motherboard. The old one is activated by...
  5. Reactivating after changing my harware,but deleted my old linked device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating after changing my harware,but deleted my old linked device: I've tried the instruction of reactivating my Windows after changing my hardware. But because I deleted my old computer by mistake, there is no linked device. How could I reactivate my device now?I upgraded my CPU and changed my motherboard. The old one is activated by...
  6. Reactivating after changing my harware,but deleted my old linked device

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: Hi there. I recently had a significant hardware upgrade to my PC but am still using all the old hard drives, including the one I installed Windows 10 on many years ago. I've since lost my activation key, so I went to updates & security > activation in my settings and ran the...
  8. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after HW upgrade

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after HW upgrade: Hello, I've upgraded my PC and after that Windows needs to reactivate. Okay, I thought I'll do this. But I don't use an Microsoft account and so on. So I can't reactivate Windows. I won't pay again for this **** of software so I need a Solution. If there no solution for...
  9. Unable to reactivate windows after upgrades.

Unable to reactivate windows after upgrades.: Hello. I have upgraded my motherboard and CPU but my windows 10 got deactivated. And when trying to reactivate my windows using the "I recently changed my hardware on this device button" in the troubleshooter it displays a message saying "Unable to activate windows". Does...
  10. Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade

Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade: Hey guys, so i have this really annoying issue My motherboard and CPU were really due for an upgrade, so i replaced them and that's that. But now i have this watermark stuck on my screen telling me to activate windows. When i go into settings to activate it says "windows...