Windows 10: Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade

Discus and support Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey guys, so i have this really annoying issue My motherboard and CPU were really due for an upgrade, so i replaced them and that's that. But now i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Viktor VDB, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade

Hey guys, so i have this really annoying issue

My motherboard and CPU were really due for an upgrade, so i replaced them and that's that. But now i have this watermark stuck on my screen telling me to activate windows. When i go into settings to activate it says "windows reported that the hardware changed... yadayada".

So turns out i just need to run the troubleshooter and choose the "i recently changed hardware" option.

But every....damn....time i try this i get "We can’t reactivate Windows because our servers aren’t available at the moment. Wait for a few minutes, or try adding your Microsoft account again. "

It has been like this for the past 20 hours i REALLY doubt their servers would be down for that amount of time. Is this legit or am i having a freak error? Any help would be appreciated.

With kind regards,

Viktor VDB

:)

Viktor VDB, Jul 28, 2019
  2. KimberRoo Win User

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change

Hi there,

I recently upgraded system hardware including Motherboard and am unable to reactivate Windows 10 via the activation troubleshooter:

I have tried removing my old PC configuration from the list of devices in my windows account but still no luck!

• My windows account was linked to my PC prior to the change
    • Login in / out of my windows account has no effect
    • My version of windows was a free upgrade program from Windows 7, would this be an issue?
    Any help and ideas would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

KimberRoo, Jul 28, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows 10 reactivation on hardware changes

Hi Florea,

It is possible that Windows won't be able to identify your computer correctly that is why the operating system is not activated. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 28, 2019
  4. Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade

Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware upgrade

I recently did some major hardware upgrades on my computer, including replacing the motherboard. A week before I did this I linked my digital license to my microsoft account so I could reactivate windows after the upgrade, following the steps on this page:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

After following the second set of steps I'm given this error:

"We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on this device or try
    again later."

Clicking "See other devices" shows me nothing except:

"We can’t reactivate Windows from these devices.

If you're not seeing your current device, make sure you're signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on this device. "

I'm signed in on this computer as an admin with my Microsoft account. Is there anything else I can try to reactivate Windows 10?

AMonoceros, Jul 28, 2019
Thema:

Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade

1. Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade - Similar Threads - Unable reactivate hardware

2. Unable to reactivate windows after a hardware change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to reactivate windows after a hardware change.: I have an OEM physical copy of windows 7 that I am trying to use to activate my windows since I recently changed my cpu and mobo. It says I don't have a valid key. THanks for the help...
  3. Unable to reactivate windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to reactivate windows after hardware change: I changed my PC's hardware and am unable to reactivate windows via my digital license. I click on Troubleshoot and then I changed hardware on this device recently, select the previous device, check This is the device I'm using right now, click Activate. It goes through and...
  4. Unable to reactivate windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to reactivate windows after hardware change: I changed my PC's hardware and am unable to reactivate windows via my digital license. I click on Troubleshoot and then I changed hardware on this device recently, select the previous device, check This is the device I'm using right now, click Activate. It goes through and...
  5. unable to reactivate windows after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    unable to reactivate windows after changing hardware: hi I'm trying to re activate windows but i keep getting this error? is this just me or anyone else? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-reactivate-windows-after-changing/8b1a9c7c-913f-4d02-a022-6b7976e6e9d5
  6. Unable to Reactivate Windows after a hardware change

Unable to Reactivate Windows after a hardware change: Hi, I laptop recently had a issue with a Display IC and I got it repaired from an independent repair shop. Upon Repair, the guy installed his copy of Windows 10 Enterprise on my laptop. My laptop originally was previously running on a windows copy that came with the laptop...
  7. Reactivation after hardware upgrade

Reactivation after hardware upgrade: Hi guys, I just upgraded my PC CPU, motherboard, RAM, and SSD to be specific and having problems reactivating my Windows 10. I was using a Windows 10 home retail key brought on Amazon upgraded to pro and linked to my Microsoft account. Tried the troubleshooting and change...
  8. Windows reactivation after hardware upgrade

Windows reactivation after hardware upgrade: I've recently upgraded my home desktop replacing everything but my harddrive, gpu, and power supply. Before doing so I attempted to get my windows 10 pro key for reactivation but was told that it would saved to my windows account since I'm keeping the hardrives the same...
  9. Unable to reactivate Windows after hardware change :(

Unable to reactivate Windows after hardware change :(: Hello, I hope I can get some help or at least some suggestions. I switched my ASUS 350 MB and Ryzen 1700 CPU for a MSI 750 MB and a Ryzen 2800 CPU and followed all the steps for reactivation (using the trouble shooter and the checking the "I have changed hardware recently"...
  10. Unable to reactive windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to reactive windows after hardware change: I upgrade my CPU from 6700K + Z170 Pro Gaming to I7-8700K + Z370 Aorus Gaming 3, after change, my windows ask to reactive license but I can't, who can help me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. we can’t reactivate windows on this device. try again later. solve window 10