Windows 10: unable to read exFAT on USB stick

Discus and support unable to read exFAT on USB stick in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Yoga 520, 64-bit, Windows 10 Home. I have inserted a 128GB USB that has exFAT files on it. The laptop identifies the USB as drive E,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bob-Wal, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Bob-Wal Win User

unable to read exFAT on USB stick

I have a Lenovo Yoga 520, 64-bit, Windows 10 Home.

I have inserted a 128GB USB that has exFAT files on it. The laptop identifies the USB as drive E, but shows no files.

Properties for the USB shows:

Used space 768kb

Free space 117GB

There is supposed to be a .exe file on the drive, but I don't know how to access it.

any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Bob-Wal, Mar 1, 2020
  2. ahmd Win User

USB stick works with exFat but not with NTFS when full

Thanks guys for all your replies. Couple observations and answers to your points.

@Compumind: I did not run it on a Mac. It was done only between two Win10 desktops. Both with the latest updates (versions.)
    @hsehestedt and @Compumind: thanks for the tools. I'll try them tomorrow.

What's odd, guys, is that I was able to copy the entire 14.6 GB folder using the exFAT partition on that same USB stick and the files worked on the destination machine. (It was an Adobe installer, 3 .iso files, so I'm guessing that it wouldn't run if the file was half-baked.)

Also another interesting observation. Since I had about x10 of those USB sticks, I tried the exact same thing with another stick of the same capacity. And it repeated one-to-one. Again, steps are as follows:

Format it as NTFS. The stick gets recognized empty on both desktops. Then copy 14.6GB onto it from one PC, safely remove it, plug it into USB-3 port on the second PC and it just doesn't see it at all. Then format it with NTFS and the second PC again starts seeing it when empty. I can then repeat the same steps with another USB stick from the same batch.

(PCs are: the first one is my own build -- about a year old, gaming rig. No issues with USB ports. And PC 2 that refused to read that stick is Dell OptiPlex 3070 Micro, purchased from genuine Dell website.)

So I was about to throw out that USB stick myself, until I noticed this strange behavior (that I described above.) So then I decided to try another file system, which was available in the Win10 "format" menu, i.e. exFAT, and it worked! I was able to copy the entire 14.6 GB folder.

So the reason I'm posting this is not because I'm trying to save these cheap USB drives, I'm just genuinely curious what the heck had they done with them?

@Compumind: and about your question about trying it with "the same procedure with a name brand USB stick" -- I'm throwing it back at you -- what's the name brand? They're all made in China now. I don't know who to trust anymore.

ahmd, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Formating to exFAT

Hi Taylor,

If you want to format an external hard drive or USB flash drive in exFAT, you can follow these steps:

• Press and hold Windows key + x on your keyboard. This open the context menu.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type format g: /FS:exFAT and then Enter to begin formatting the G drive as exFAT
    For any query, feel free to reach us.

Marque Lor, Mar 1, 2020
  4. unable to read exFAT on USB stick

how til convert 64 GB USB stick fra format exFAT to NTFS

how til convert 64 GB USB stick fra format exFAT to NTFS

Joernolejensen, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

unable to read exFAT on USB stick

1. unable to read exFAT on USB stick - Similar Threads - unable read exFAT

2. Unable to access files on USB stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access files on USB stick: I plug USB in and it shows in explorer. When I click on the sticks file path 'E' it disappears, as if it has been unplugged. Sometimes it shows the files on the stick for a split second then the 'E' drive disappears again. The stick is lit up the whole time it is plugged in...
  3. Unable to access files on USB stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access files on USB stick: I plug USB in and it shows in explorer. When I click on the sticks file path 'E' it disappears, as if it has been unplugged. Sometimes it shows the files on the stick for a split second then the 'E' drive disappears again. The stick is lit up the whole time it is plugged in...
  4. Windows 10 unable to recognise EXFAT drive on USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 unable to recognise EXFAT drive on USB: HiI have an EXFAT drive which was formatted on a Synology DSM6. I need to plug this drive in to do some checks, but my Windows does not recognise the drive and does not show up on the File Explorer. I then downloaded Aomei Partition Assistant which was able to read it.Why...
  5. USB stick with 20H2 version formatted as NTFS and exFAT not bootable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB stick with 20H2 version formatted as NTFS and exFAT not bootable: Hello Redditors! I downloaded the ISO file for Win10 from the Microsoft website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO). The only available version for downloading is 20H2 - October update. The total of all files is somewhere around 6.2GB, which...
  6. What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?: I bought a few 32GB sticks the other day. They came formatted with FAT32. Immediately I had trouble copying the Win10 20H2 ISO to it (greater than 4GB). Formatting to NTFS solved it of course. But I'm curious if, for use as a general USB stick (plugging it into Windows,...
  7. exFat 2T USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    exFat 2T USB: Good Morning, I have backed up my pictures on a new 2T USB that i ordered online and i checked and saw my files before deleting them, however after i take out the USB and put it back in the computer i can see the different folders but they are empty even thought the...
  8. USB stick works with exFat but not with NTFS when full

USB stick works with exFat but not with NTFS when full: I've just observed a very strange behavior. So I'm curious if anyone can explain this? I bought these cheap chinese USB sticks on amazon (x10 for $40 or something like this.) They originally came pre-formatted as FAT32. So I was trying to transfer several large files today...
  9. usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...
  10. unable to read file on USB key

unable to read file on USB key: Hello My daughter bring me an USB key where no file could be read. PC does recognize the 4 partitions, but when I try to read them, an error message say "Insert disk" I did try with CHKDSK: An error message say unable to access the drive I tried with RECOVA: application...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not able to read exfat