Windows 10: Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I am using Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. I am having 1 TB external drive and unable to read/write files to it. Please assist. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Vedansh2012Redd, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

Hi Everyone,

I am using Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. I am having 1 TB external drive and unable to read/write files to it. Please assist.

I tried multiple options like changing permissions, change owners, regedit etc

Regards,

Siva

:)

Vedansh2012Redd, Sep 30, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 30, 2019
  3. Rohit_R Win User
    The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

Hi Fernanda,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In regards to your concern, please help me with following questions:

• Is the Hard drive external or internal?
    You can try following steps and check if that fixes the issue:

1. Run Virus scan on the Hard Drive.
    2. Perform check disk commands on the Hard Disk to fix the Disk errors.
    Refer to this article.

Note: Remove all the external devices before performing check disk.

Data Loss Disclaimer:

While performing these steps there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before performing the steps.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Sep 30, 2019
  4. Fernandz Win User

Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

1. Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable read write

2. External HDD unable to read or write anything on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD unable to read or write anything on it: I've recently bought a 2TB Toshiba Hard drive and i am unable to use it.Every time i try to save anything to it or open anything on it, my whole PC becomes unresponsive. Even if it is just plugged in it stop me from using programs on my PC until i unplug it again and...
  3. External HDD unable to read or write anything on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD unable to read or write anything on it: I've recently bought a 2TB Toshiba Hard drive and i am unable to use it.Every time i try to save anything to it or open anything on it, my whole PC becomes unresponsive. Even if it is just plugged in it stop me from using programs on my PC until i unplug it again and...
  4. Disk 100% usage with no read or write.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk 100% usage with no read or write.: I got an error task amanger indicating that disk 100% usage with no read or wrtie.I tried clean boot, reset virtual memory, update windows 11 to the newest update, sfc, dism, memory check, and disk repair. It still does not work well. It start the error when heavy load occurs...
  5. Disk 100% usage with no read or write.

Disk 100% usage with no read or write.: I got an error task amanger indicating that disk 100% usage with no read or wrtie.I tried clean boot, reset virtual memory, update windows 11 to the newest update, sfc, dism, memory check, and disk repair. It still does not work well. It start the error when heavy load occurs...
  6. Disk 0 read/write at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk 0 read/write at 100%: My Disk 0 C: drive is at 100% read/write yet I am not doing anything on the computer. I upgraded to Windows 11 Home but had this problem on Windows 10 Home. I have tried all the suggestions given, that I deemed safe, that were out in the www, but to no avail. I am hoping not...
  7. Disk 0 read/write at 100%

Disk 0 read/write at 100%: My Disk 0 C: drive is at 100% read/write yet I am not doing anything on the computer. I upgraded to Windows 11 Home but had this problem on Windows 10 Home. I have tried all the suggestions given, that I deemed safe, that were out in the www, but to no avail. I am hoping not...
  8. Software that monitors writes and reads on the disk

Software that monitors writes and reads on the disk: I know we have Performance Monitor and Resource Monitor but I don't like their UI and also how confusing to use them. I want something like what you can see here with Process Hacker. It's just very easy to use. But it doesn't have the ability to save these information in a...
  9. Disk read/write issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk read/write issue: Does anybody know how to find out exactly what is read/writing to a specific disk drive? People have recommended resource monitor, but it doesn't allow me to isolate a specific drive. It just shows me if there's activity on a drive, and it shows me an enormous amount of...
  10. Problem when reading from one external disk and writing to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem when reading from one external disk and writing to another: I have a situation where I backup the files on one external disk to a destination on another external disk. When the two disks are connected to different USB hubs the backup does not complete. However if I connect them to the same USB hub the backup completes. Is there a way...