Windows 10: Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I am using Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. I am having 1 TB external drive and unable to read/write files to it. Please assist. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Vedansh2012Redd, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

Hi Everyone,

I am using Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. I am having 1 TB external drive and unable to read/write files to it. Please assist.

I tried multiple options like changing permissions, change owners, regedit etc

Regards,

Siva

:)

Vedansh2012Redd, Sep 30, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 30, 2019
  3. Rohit_R Win User
    The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

Hi Fernanda,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In regards to your concern, please help me with following questions:

• Is the Hard drive external or internal?
    You can try following steps and check if that fixes the issue:

1. Run Virus scan on the Hard Drive.
    2. Perform check disk commands on the Hard Disk to fix the Disk errors.
    Refer to this article.

Note: Remove all the external devices before performing check disk.

Data Loss Disclaimer:

While performing these steps there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before performing the steps.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Sep 30, 2019
  4. Fernandz Win User

Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

1. Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable read write

2. External HDD cannot read/write after power failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD cannot read/write after power failure: after a power stop a second, my external hard disk drive 5T cannot be read/write, File Explorer displace the drive but cannot get into. But I can read/write via Apple I/O....
  3. Hard Disk Repair, Write Speed, Reading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Disk Repair, Write Speed, Reading: Hello, God, I have a 1000 GB hard drive and it's hard to go, that if I copy the data on it, it's copying hard enough. Do you know any solution to increase writing, reading, optimization, etc.? Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  4. Read and write speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Read and write speed: Hello and my name is Lorenzo. I have an HDD that has a sequential read of 200mbs and a write of 187. I am getting 2mbs when downloading from steam. My hard drive in the device manager says ST2000dm006-2dm164. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  5. New External SSD, Low Read/Write

New External SSD, Low Read/Write: Okay so, I just got a brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSD today. I decided to go with an external setup as it requires less hassle, and while I don't expect the fastest performance in doing so, I am getting absolutely ABYSMAL speeds. Not even half of the Seq Read/Write of my 4 year...
  6. Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10: I have tried multiple solutions to troubleshoot or even just to distinguish what the problem is but nothing seems to work. 1.) I tried to copy and paste a file from my desktop to the flash drive but saw this: [ATTACH] 2.) Everyone including myself have permission to do...
  7. Unable to read external Hard Drive

Unable to read external Hard Drive: I have Windows 10. I am trying to retrieve data from a Western Digital hard drive which has worked on this system in the past. I now find that the system is unable to recognise the drive and I get a message "incorrect parameter" Some help would be apreciated. Regards...
  8. read/write permission setting in windows 10

read/write permission setting in windows 10: how do i enable write permission on a seagate remote hard drive? I'm on Windows 10 op sys https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/readwrite-permission-setting-in-windows-10/c8acc14d-3c0b-4f30-bc77-b518daa47ebd
  9. Unable To Read And Write 100GB MDisc With LG Drive

Unable To Read And Write 100GB MDisc With LG Drive: Hello, I just bought the following LG Disc drive and MDiscs on Amazon (Links below) and it came with a disc with software on not. I was able to rip and burn a CD before I installed the software disc and after but I am unable to burn a MDisc. When I insert a MDisc to the...
  10. Disk usage 100%, read/write 0kbps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk usage 100%, read/write 0kbps: Okay, so Lately I've had crazy boot and load times, and what appeared to be disk issues (usage was 100%, read/write was little-to-none). Disabled a few things in services.msc (superfetch and windows search), which fixed the 100% constant usage. But boot and load are...