Windows 10: Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D”

Discus and support Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D” in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Here is the scenario: On November 6, 2018 the October Windows 10 update was applied to my system. At the time I had a SATA docking station with 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Perfmaster, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D”

Here is the scenario: On November 6, 2018 the October Windows 10 update was applied to my system. At the time I had a SATA docking station with 2 drives inserted that was used for backing up data. Some of the data on one of the drives was not backed up anywhere else. One of the drives was new, purchased within 30 days of the incident. The Thermaltake docking station was left plugged into the USB port on my Dell Precision 5510 laptop. Both drives were readable and usable prior to the update. Dell laptop drivers were relatively up to date, as of July 2018.

> On bootup, neither drive was recognizable by Windows 10. When attempt to access them via Explorer, the message "You need to format the disk in Drive D: before you can use it" (2 drive letters were involved, D: and EUnable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D” :)

> A reboot of the system did not resolve the issue

> Taking the docking station to another Windows 10 system had the same result

> Other drives work fine in the docking station.

> Using tools like Mini Tool Partition Wizard have not been able to recover the NTFS partitions. I have only had partial success in recovering the data

using EASUSE partition recovery software.

As a business user this event / result was unwelcome.

I am wondering if there is anything else I can do or if Microsoft has tools that can be used to reverse the lost partition on the drives.

Please reference this for acknowledgement of issues with this update: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/11/13/resuming-the-rollout-of-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/ and note that the date was November 13th, 2018.

***Modified the title from Windows10 October 2018 update - Partitions corrupted post-boot on SATA drives in USB docking station***

:)

Perfmaster, Dec 20, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 20, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 20, 2018
  4. alaedeen Win User

Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D”

missing partition

I have missing partition second partition my windows is 10 I tried to resize my partitions using some soft wares I didn't complete the action cancel and close but after I was surprising d:\ is missing . I try to recover by using everyway recovery soft
    wares and disk part prumpt and mange drives in system . restoring points tell me c is ok d is missing . in disk part prompt list partition is appear like recovery but volume list disappeared . attached with computer manage result. thanks for your help
    Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D” d7d42450-a3d1-4e0f-b5e8-c5a290be3f85.png

alaedeen, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D”

1. Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D” - Similar Threads - Unable recover missing

2. Issue with Disk Error 0x8007045D After Formatting D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with Disk Error 0x8007045D After Formatting D Drive: I recently encountered an issue with my system's disk configuration. I had two disks, one with Windows installed C drive and the other designated for additional storage D drive. However, the D drive encountered corruption, leading me to format it as the data within was not...
  3. Issue with Disk Error 0x8007045D After Formatting D Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Disk Error 0x8007045D After Formatting D Drive: I recently encountered an issue with my system's disk configuration. I had two disks, one with Windows installed C drive and the other designated for additional storage D drive. However, the D drive encountered corruption, leading me to format it as the data within was not...
  4. Issue with Disk Error 0x8007045D After Formatting D Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Please help to recover data. Error: "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please help to recover data. Error: "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you...: Hello! Hoping someone can help me save a couple of days of After Effects work. video files, etcI'm on Windows 11. The problem drive is the SanDisk 1TB Extreme PRO Portable SSD. I've had the drive 2 months. ExFat format. I'm in LA.Tried to open folder in drive. Said the folder...
  6. Please help to recover data. Error: "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you...

Please help to recover data. Error: "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you...: Hello! Hoping someone can help me save a couple of days of After Effects work. video files, etcI'm on Windows 11. The problem drive is the SanDisk 1TB Extreme PRO Portable SSD. I've had the drive 2 months. ExFat format. I'm in LA.Tried to open folder in drive. Said the folder...
  7. How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...: How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can use it use it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-solve-you-need-to-format-disk-in-drive-d/1eec4550-8f1c-42c2-a3da-9552663e43be
  8. How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...

How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...: How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can use it use it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-solve-you-need-to-format-disk-in-drive-d/1eec4550-8f1c-42c2-a3da-9552663e43be
  9. Missing D: External Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing D: External Disk Drive: Hi, I've had my AlienWare PC for about 4 months now, and recently I can't find my external hard drive. My OS C: is still here, but My D: drive is missing, and I can't find it in File Explorer or Device Manager. Please help....
  10. "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use...: I get these 2 messages every time i place a SD card into the SD slot of my laptop [ATTACH][ATTACH] This only happens when I place my SD card in the SD slot however if I place the SD card into a usb converter it works perfectly. But in disk management when the SD card is in...