Windows 10: Unable to register my Yubikey in my microsoft account

Discus and support Unable to register my Yubikey in my microsoft account in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I have been trying to register my security key Yubikey 5 nano as per the instructions on Learn more about signing in with Windows Hello or a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Euphemisme5724, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Unable to register my Yubikey in my microsoft account

Hi,

I have been trying to register my security key Yubikey 5 nano as per the instructions on Learn more about signing in with Windows Hello or a security key.

I am using Chrome on a mac. It seems it's not possible with Firefox or Safari.

When trying to add the key, I have the following message "You have already registered this key for your account". Here is a screenshot https://imgur.com/wSepMup.

But I can't see it in my sign-in methods. Therefore can't use it. https://imgur.com/cTDuAfJ

Any idea how to get it working?

Note that it's not a Yubikey problem. The same key is working fine on other websites

Thank you.

Moved from: Security, privacy, and accounts / Other

:)

Euphemisme5724, Feb 17, 2020

2. Cannot register yubikey 5 - key cannot be registered

Cannot register yubikey5 in Microsoft account, message says cannot register this key.

***Original Title: Cannot register yubikey 5***

NormPeterson, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Yubikey login support

Hi,

Log in issues can be caused by invalid password or username. For us to assist you further, kindly answer the questions below:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Have you tried using Yubikey before?

We're looking forward for your response.

Rose Cal, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Unable to register my Yubikey in my microsoft account

yubikey

A simple search with google can turn up your childhood address...and lots more for that matter...this addresses the fact that credentials can and are being stolen...and your cell phone can be hacked and 2fa code can be lifted..but if one has a key, then
    the hacker cannot access your accounts... Using the yubi in conjunction with Lastpass. Never heard of 2fa? OTP? FIDO2/WEBAUTHN? Here's a bit of info for you...

Password-less Login with the YubiKey 5 Comes to Microsoft Accounts | Yubico

But apparently, Microsoft and yubikey don't play well with each other... I have strong passwords...but would like to ease the process a bit..and up the safety factor by removing all the passwords from my devices, as one cannot encrypt single folders.. The
    yubikey plays well with Linux systems...chrome and other browsers...but not with Microsoft ...

NormPeterson, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

Unable to register my Yubikey in my microsoft account

1. Unable to register my Yubikey in my microsoft account - Similar Threads - Unable register Yubikey

2. When I register my yubo yubikey on my windows laptop don't I have to use the yubikey on my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I register my yubo yubikey on my windows laptop don't I have to use the yubikey on my...: HI I was wondering if I could ask a question about a yubico 5c NFC . I was wanting to now if I go passwordless login on my outlook.com account on the internet will I have to setup the yubikey on my computer to login to my outlook.com account on the internet? Does the yubikey...
  3. When I register my yubo yubikey on my windows laptop don't I have to use the yubikey on my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I register my yubo yubikey on my windows laptop don't I have to use the yubikey on my...: HI I was wondering if I could ask a question about a yubico 5c NFC . I was wanting to now if I go passwordless login on my outlook.com account on the internet will I have to setup the yubikey on my computer to login to my outlook.com account on the internet? Does the yubikey...
  4. So my last Microsoft account got hacked and on that account my computer was registered and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So my last Microsoft account got hacked and on that account my computer was registered and...: So my last Microsoft account got hacked and on that account my computer was registered and I can't access that email and now my computer is asking for a recovery key and I can't get it, what do I do, is my computer last or can I reset it somehow. I also can't access or get...
  5. So my last Microsoft account got hacked and on that account my computer was registered and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    So my last Microsoft account got hacked and on that account my computer was registered and...: So my last Microsoft account got hacked and on that account my computer was registered and I can't access that email and now my computer is asking for a recovery key and I can't get it, what do I do, is my computer last or can I reset it somehow. I also can't access or get...
  6. So my last Microsoft account got hacked and on that account my computer was registered and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Registering Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Registering Microsoft Account: This has to be a common problem. I am setting up a new computer with Microsoft. I do not live in the U.S. but my official address is in the States. That includes what I use for my U.S. bank account. I entered all billing info correctly. e.g. credit card #, etc. My credit...
  8. how do i change my no. registered on my microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do i change my no. registered on my microsoft account: Hello i have buy a second hand ideapad from my friend,so his Microsoft account was save in laptop and I only change the name of the account now the mobile no. registerd in his account was permanent switched off so I want to add my Microsoft account on my laptop or I want to...
  9. Cannot register yubikey 5 - key cannot be registered

Cannot register yubikey 5 - key cannot be registered: Cannot register yubikey5 in Microsoft account, message says cannot register this key. ***Original Title: Cannot register yubikey 5*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-register-yubikey-5-key-cannot-be-registered/f29d9401-b24c-4be1-9458-1201fd8dcfbf"
  10. Cannot register yubikey 5

Cannot register yubikey 5: Cannot register yubikey5 in Microsoft account, message says cannot register this key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-register-yubikey-5/f29d9401-b24c-4be1-9458-1201fd8dcfbf"