Windows 10: Unable to Reload Windows 10 From USB flash drive Containing Media Creation Tool

Discus and support Unable to Reload Windows 10 From USB flash drive Containing Media Creation Tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a HP Pavilion Notebook 17-g121wm running Windows 10 I am unable to boot up. I tried every option in the blue screens including Troubleshoot,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by marneo21, Nov 22, 2019.

1. marneo21 Win User

Unable to Reload Windows 10 From USB flash drive Containing Media Creation Tool

I have a HP Pavilion Notebook 17-g121wm running Windows 10 I am unable to boot up.

I tried every option in the blue screens including Troubleshoot, Automatic Repair and Recovery Manager all to no avail.

I tried both Reset with 'Reinstall Windows without removing your personal files and change settings back to their defaults' and Reset with 'Remove everything including all personal files, apps and settings' but each failed also giving me a message saying 'There was a problem resetting your PC.' .

I then downloaded the Media Creation Tool (MediaCreationTool1909.exe) to a USB flash drive using another PC also running Windows 10.

To reach the Startup Menu on this machine, one presses F9 for Boot Device Options which then opens a screen saying Boot Manager - Boot Option Menu with the following 3 options showing on the screen:

1. USD Hard Drive(UEFI) - KingstonDataTraveler 3.0PMAP

2. Boot From EFI File

3. USD Hard Drive - KingstonDataTraveler 3.0PMAP

When I try the first option, I see the HP logo and then it looks like something is starting to happen and then I see 'press the ESC key for startup menu' in the lower left of the screen. If I do nothing else, the machine just keeps cycling through these same motions again and again with no progress.

The second option yields a list of files including 'boot' and others with the word 'boot' in the file name but clicking on any of them yields no results at all.

Trying the third option, this time I see the Windows logo briefly and then again it looks like something is starting to happen and then I again see 'press the ESC key for startup menu' in the lower left of the screen. As with the first option, if I do nothing else, the machine just keeps cycling through these same motions again and again with no progress but only showing the Windows logo that one time and then the HP logo every time that screen appears again thereafter.

I tried removing the flash drive and pressed ESC just to see what would happen and now the screen says 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key'.

Then I powered down the machine and powered it back up with the flash drive not plugged in and the screen says:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk- (3FO)

F2 System Diagnostics

I watched a video earlier of someone changing a hard drive in a laptop and he said getting this message is a good sign in that your disk is recognized but you just don't have an operating system yet.

When again pressing the ESC key for the startup menu, this time I tried F2 for System Diagnostics after which a screen opens saying HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI and there is an option for 'hard drive check'. When I choose it, I see 'no hard drive installed, check that the power and data cables are connected properly'. In this machine, the power and data cables are plugged into one receptacle with one ribbon cable coming out of it and I am sure that ribbon cable is plugged into where it is supposed to go.

What could explain the contradiction between my disk evidently being recognized and then getting a message that no hard drive is installed? Is it possible the hard drive has bad sectors and needs to be replaced or possibly a bad motherboard or could the cables or receptacle be bad or what? Does anyone have a useful suggestion for me please?

:)

marneo21, Nov 22, 2019
  2. Ztruker Win User

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, Nov 22, 2019
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Unable to Reload Windows 10 From USB flash drive Containing Media Creation Tool

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Hi mate,
    I think I might have given you the wrong impression. When I say I'm going to use Mount and Copy and Paste the files over to the USB I meant that I would download the Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool and then use Diskpart to prepare the USB flash drive. Mount the ISO and then copy and paste all the files over onto the Diskpart prepared flash drive.
    This is the method I mean to use rather than using third party software such as Rufus :-
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <-replace # with the actual number of the USB flash drive
    clean
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    exit
    exit

Mount the ISO file. Copy files and folders over onto the USB flash drive.

So in my original question could there be any corruption or problems that could be caused by the Media Creation Tool failure that I described in my first post or would the two downloads be kept totally separate so no conflicts can occur when I use the Media Creation Tool to download the ISO again?

sportsfan148, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Unable to Reload Windows 10 From USB flash drive Containing Media Creation Tool

1. Unable to Reload Windows 10 From USB flash drive Containing Media Creation Tool - Similar Threads - Unable Reload USB

2. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  3. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  4. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. USB FLash Drive Write Protect after Windows Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB FLash Drive Write Protect after Windows Media Creation Tool: Hi. I used my USB flash drive to make Windows Media Creation Tool but I got an error and it didn't finish. When I am about to reformat it to redo the process, I just can't use it anymore saying the drive is Write Protected. I searched and tried almost everything online on how...
  6. USB FLash Drive Write Protect after Windows Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB FLash Drive Write Protect after Windows Media Creation Tool: Hi. I used my USB flash drive to make Windows Media Creation Tool but I got an error and it didn't finish. When I am about to reformat it to redo the process, I just can't use it anymore saying the drive is Write Protected. I searched and tried almost everything online on how...
  7. USB FLash Drive Write Protect after Windows Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Microsoft Creation Tool/USB Flash Drive

Microsoft Creation Tool/USB Flash Drive: So I used Microsoft Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 boot on a 235 GB Flash Drive. Reformatted the drive via Windows and after I only saw 32 GB usable and the remaining 205 GB of storage was unallocated. (couldn't use it) So, why did that happen? Anyway, I used...
  9. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick?

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick?: Hello Currently I installed Windows 10 Pro build 10586.0 from my USB flash drive created from the Media Creation Tool (MCT). My question is, I noticed that Microsoft has recently updated the MCT to the latest build. Before I decide to put this latest build onto my USB...
  10. Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive: Hi, Ive just had another failed attempt at creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive on my laptop using the Media Creation Tool and setting the tool to use the USB flash drive as chosen media rather than the ISO method. It failed after the download had finished and at...