Windows 10: Unable to remove a file

Discus and support Unable to remove a file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I have noticed that during backups that one of my files can't be removed. It's actually an old short cut and when I right click on it I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevenson53, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Unable to remove a file

Hi there,
    I have noticed that during backups that one of my files can't be removed.
    It's actually an old short cut and when I right click on it I only get two options, "Print" and "Send to".
    When I hit delete, I get the error "source path too long"...."the source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system".
    The file name is 206 characters.
    Any ideas please?
    Thanks
    Paul

:)

stevenson53, Mar 25, 2017
  2. markm25 Win User

unable to remove a file on a n95

when I go into app manger to remove a game call need for speed.when I try to remove it's saying unable to remove then moving faled

markm25, Mar 25, 2017
  3. obaid786 Win User
    unable to remove a file on a n95

press the menu button..and hold it..see what it shows you on your left corner...most probably the game open because we just cancel or end the game and think that application is closed. thats why its giving you that message cant remove.if it open then press
    "c" and exit that game and then remove from application manager

obaid786, Mar 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Unable to remove a file

Hi, you need to reduce the path length. There are many references and solutions posted on the internet. Essentially try renaming elements of the path so the total path + file name is < 255.

Here's just one:
    How to fix Path Too Long and File Name is Too Long errors in Windows 2016 - YouTube

You can also use 3rd party tools to help e.g.
    7-zip:
    "Source Path Too Long": How to Delete, Rename or Move these files/ folders in Windows | Easy Tipz
    Robocopy:
    Clint Boessen's Blog: How to Delete Files which exceed 255 Characters Without 3rd Party Tools

dalchina, Mar 25, 2017
  5. Ok will try that but note that as far as I can tell, the name is only 206 long.
    Just saw that the path is included in the number and that would definitely make it over 255.

6. dalchina New Member
    It's the total path name size - that's all the folders + file name- that matters.

dalchina, Mar 25, 2017
  7. Thanks again dalchina and will have a go tomorrow now.

8. Unable to remove a file

Hi Dalchina,
    Well that was a very easy fix! Just reduced the folder names to a single letter each and the shortcut deleted straight away.
    Thanks, again!
    Cheers
    Paul

stevenson53, Mar 26, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Good. Seems sad we still need a workaround to deal with such things.

dalchina, Mar 26, 2017
  10. Hi Dalchina,
    (sorry maybe I should have started a new thread)
    I have just found another folder with sub folders that I can't remove. I think it was an empty windows(old) folder.
    I have reduced the length of the path and that didn't work.
    The error says:
    "Could not find this item"
    "This is no longer located at C:\users\paul\desktop"
    "Verify the items location and try again"
    I have tried a few options from searches but not luck.
    I can cut and paste it from one drive to the other no problem which is why it's on the desktop.
    Please let me know if I should start a new thread.
    Thanks
    Paul

stevenson53, Apr 3, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 3, 2017
  12. Yes I think it's an old Windows folder but from last year when I had a rebuild but it didn't delete automatically and I recall the folder was called windows(old) or something like that. I tried to empty the contents and then the folders but that just left a set of empty folders (8) that I can't get rid of.
    I just tried to transfer the folder set to a portable hard drive and it copied all folders but the last in the sequence call "shellext". It left the full folder set on my desktop but I could delete it on the portable drive.
    They are not doing any harm but it annoys me that I can't delete them.
    I also had a windows upgrade folder but I got rid of that by uninstalling the program windows upgrade assistant.
    Thoughts please?

stevenson53, Apr 3, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Unable to remove a file

Use a bootable disk, boot your PC from that, and delete your file/folder.

Use Kyhi's bootable DVD or flash drive (at the top of the Software and Apps section) for a Win 10 environment, or a Win 10 bootable medium for command prompt.

Or boot to a command prompt via SHIFT left click restart.

dalchina, Apr 3, 2017
  14. Ok I'm always nervous when I start booting this way.
    Just so that I am clear, I boot up using a windows repair disk, boot to a command prompt, navigate to the folder location and delete? Yes, no?

stevenson53, Apr 3, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    I think you'd be more comfortable with this:
    Kyhi's bootable DVD (see previous post).

dalchina, Apr 3, 2017
Thema:

Unable to remove a file

1. Unable to remove a file - Similar Threads - Unable remove file

2. Unable to remove a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove a file: I am unable to remove a file; I get two errors. 1 If I try to rename, it says "sync pending." 2 If I try to delete it, I get "verify the location."I have tried1 Searching to see if the file is on my device no2 Searching to see if the file is on the cloud no3 Unlinking...
  3. Unable to remove a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove a file: I am unable to remove a file; I get two errors. 1 If I try to rename, it says "sync pending." 2 If I try to delete it, I get "verify the location."I have tried1 Searching to see if the file is on my device no2 Searching to see if the file is on the cloud no3 Unlinking...
  4. Unable to remove temp files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove temp files.: I recently tried updating my system to Windows 11 through https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 and I decided not to, so I forcefully shut it down through the task manager. Now my C: Drive has temp download files taking over 10GB of my space. How can I...
  5. Unable to remove temp files.

Unable to remove temp files.: I recently tried updating my system to Windows 11 through https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 and I decided not to, so I forcefully shut it down through the task manager. Now my C: Drive has temp download files taking over 10GB of my space. How can I...
  6. Unable to remove temp files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Corrupt File on C: Drive Unable To Be Removed!

Corrupt File on C: Drive Unable To Be Removed!: Hello,I recently put my PC to sleep, before that I had a Windows update ready to download but I hadn't done it yet. After I woke my PC up the monitors weren't displaying an image this happens to me sometimes when I put it to sleep so I did what I always do and let it sit for...
  8. Incompatible driver file - unable to remove.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Incompatible driver file - unable to remove.: This highlighted software driver which is now incompatible and is no longer required, It's residing in this folder instead of the usual 'Drivers' folder, don't know why but, it prevents me from turning on 'Memory Integrity' on my PC - I am unable to move, rename or delete it...
  9. Unable to Remove Temporary Update Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Remove Temporary Update Files: Windows 7 failed many times to install an update and has left 44 directories of temporary files. I have updated to Windows 10 but am unable to remove the files, as they say that requires System access....
  10. Unable to remove file icon, on desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to remove file icon, on desktop.: **CAUTION THIS PERSON IS NOT THE BEST AT SPELLING OR GRAMMAR** Okay so I have a file on my desktop and can not remove it. I have already tried the general ways to remove it.. like dragging it to the recycle bin and right clicking the file and selecting delete. I have also...