Windows 10: Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access

Discus and support Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 1. I am unable to remove specific files from "Recent Files" in Quick Access, why? [ATTACH] 2. I deleted these types of files a long time ago and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DottyR, Jul 11, 2020.

1. DottyR Win User

Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access

1. I am unable to remove specific files from "Recent Files" in Quick Access, why?

Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access a27112a5-1e0e-4156-bfd4-597fcd1ffafc?upload=true.png

2. I deleted these types of files a long time ago and deleted this specific path where these photos were... These are NOT recent files... So why am I not able to remove them from Quick Access? Why is there not enough space on the disk?

Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access c42b15f0-a047-4826-bc9f-8681e1ea1df0?upload=true.png

3. Then there are specific types of files, I'm guessing, that are not able to be removed, also. Is it the size, location file path, and/or type???

Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access 40718c32-55cb-422c-97ea-17f72dda81e7?upload=true.png

Please help!

:)

DottyR, Jul 11, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jul 11, 2020
  3. I removed a file from the Quick Access recently. Subsequently, upon the next access the file is not appearing in the recent files listing

I removed a file from the Quick Access recently. Subsequently, upon the next access the file is not appearing in the recent files listing. How do I go about to get the quick access feature back for this file?

Original Post: Quick Access

Albert Tan Eng Guan, Jul 11, 2020
  4. Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access

How to hide recent files from Quick Access

Hi,

Let me assist you with this.

Get rid of the new Quick Access/Home view in File Explorer

Follow these simple steps to bring back the old This PC view in Windows 10 File Explorer:

1. Open File Explorer, click on View tab in Ribbon and then click on
    Options.

2. Now to remove frequent folders and recent files list from Quick Access/Home view, uncheck following 2 options present under
    Privacy section:

• Show recently used files in Quick Access
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access
    It'll immediately remove these 2 sections from Quick Access view in File Explorer.

Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access [​IMG]

3. If you want to completely get rid of Quick Access/Home view from File Explorer, change the option "Open File Explorer to" from "Quick access" to "This PC" using drop-down list.

It'll set the old This PC view as default in File Explorer and you'll always have disk drives page visible whenever you open File Explorer.

Let us know if you have any questions again on quick access. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access

1. Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access - Similar Threads - Unable remove files

2. Why do some files in Recent Files resist Remove from Quick Access?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do some files in Recent Files resist Remove from Quick Access?: I have used Win 10 and Microsoft Explorer, Quick Access for some considerable time but just recently there is a pattern of behaviour where some files that get listed in 'Recent Files' will NOT react to the command "Remove from Quick Access".Why is this and is there a...
  3. Why do some files in Recent Files resist Remove from Quick Access?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do some files in Recent Files resist Remove from Quick Access?: I have used Win 10 and Microsoft Explorer, Quick Access for some considerable time but just recently there is a pattern of behaviour where some files that get listed in 'Recent Files' will NOT react to the command "Remove from Quick Access".Why is this and is there a...
  4. Why do some files in Recent Files resist Remove from Quick Access?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File removal from Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File removal from Quick Access: I permanently deleted a file which was located in 'Downloads'. However, it is still getting shown in 'Quick access'. If I try to remove it, it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. How can I remove the file from 'Quick access' which is still getting...
  6. File removal from Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File removal from Quick Access: I permanently deleted a file which was located in 'Downloads'. However, it is still getting shown in 'Quick access'. If I try to remove it, it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. How can I remove the file from 'Quick access' which is still getting...
  7. File removal from Quick Access

8. Quick Access & Recent files

Quick Access & Recent files: Hi i want to increase the number of "recent files" shown in the quick access function to more than 20, ideally 50. I don't want workarounds or rely on me pinning things, I just want to see more than 20 recent files. The current limit is a hindrance to my work as 20 files...
  9. File accidently "Removed from Quick Access"

File accidently "Removed from Quick Access": I removed some files from the 'Recent Files' list by right-clicking the file name and selecting "Remove from Quick Access". Unfortunately, I also removed a file unintentionally. How do I restore this file to to the 'Recent Files' list....
  10. Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to files you've been working on and folders you often use. These are...