Windows 10: Unable to remove or quarantine Virus Threat

Discus and support Unable to remove or quarantine Virus Threat in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Ran a virus scan with defend and 3 threats were detected, however when I went to have them removed nothing happened, tried to quarantine them and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GaryThibodeau, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Unable to remove or quarantine Virus Threat

Ran a virus scan with defend and 3 threats were detected, however when I went to have them removed nothing happened, tried to quarantine them and again nothing happened any suggestions on how to eliminate these threats. The threats are PUA:Win32/SweetIM PUA:Win32/Visicom and PUA:Win32/AskToolbar

:)

GaryThibodeau, Sep 25, 2020
  2. ALN
    ALN Win User

How do I remove quarantined threats

Since Defender did it's job by identifying and quarantined the threat, what will I gain by testing it as you suggest?

3. Bree Win User
    How do I remove quarantined threats

It does say under 'Quarantined threats' that "Quarantined threats have been isolated and prevented from running on your device. They will be periodically removed". It could just be that by now they have been automatically removed. It's a possibility as your detections were a few days ago on the 5th. My test was less than 24 hours ago so the quarantined file has not (yet) been automatically removed.

Just reassurance that it's working as designed.

4. Unable to remove or quarantine Virus Threat

quarantined threats

In the Windows Defender Security Center, the Quarantined Threats list on the Scan History page corresponds to the Quarantined Items page in the classic UI, and that list will display any items that have actually been quarantined,
    as well as provide the options to remove or restore any of those items – as we can see in this screenshot:

Unable to remove or quarantine  Virus Threat 8686d27f-54f5-439d-8412-be1278a2a283?upload=true.png

You can either click on the Remove all button or click on a down arrow in order to display the option buttons for an individual threat. But remember that the recommended action can sometimes be wrong when a harmless file is quarantined
    by mistake (a false positive), and that's the reason why threats are quarantined rather than removed automatically. The items in the Quarantine could be safely left there indefinitely; but they'll be automatically removed after 90 days, by default.

The number of days that the item is kept in the Quarantine can be reconfigured with this preference setting:

-QuarantinePurgeItemsAfterDelay

Specifies the number of days to keep items in the Quarantine folder. If you specify a value of zero for this parameter, items stay in the Quarantine folder indefinitely.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/defender/set-mppreference?view=win10-ps

For example, to have quarantined items automatically removed after just a week, run this command at the Administrator PowerShell prompt:

Set-MpPreference -QuarantinePurgeItemsAfterDelay 7

GreginMich, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

Unable to remove or quarantine Virus Threat

1. Unable to remove or quarantine Virus Threat - Similar Threads - Unable remove quarantine

2. I’m unable to remove or quarantine a threat on my system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I’m unable to remove or quarantine a threat on my system: I can’t remove or quarantine a virus threat on my windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-remove-or-quarantine-a-threat-on-my/7bc2af04-621d-47ea-ad47-4e40b3a635e7
  3. I’m unable to remove or quarantine a threat on my system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I’m unable to remove or quarantine a threat on my system: I can’t remove or quarantine a virus threat on my windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-remove-or-quarantine-a-threat-on-my/7bc2af04-621d-47ea-ad47-4e40b3a635e7
  4. Threat Blocked: How do I remove a quarantined threat.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Threat Blocked: How do I remove a quarantined threat.: Hello, I accidentally downloaded a malicious file which contained a Trojan and thankfully Windows automatically quarantined it.It says that it will be removed automatically, but it's been here for a while.How do I remove it manually?Thank you!...
  5. Quarantined Threats

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Quarantined Threats: hello, i just got my computer a few months ago. In Windows Security, it says i have a quarantined threat that i would like to get rid of- but when i click on it, it says "do you want to allow this app to make changed to your device" coming from windows security. I'm not sure...
  6. Unable to remove or quarantine a threat identified by Microsoft Security

Unable to remove or quarantine a threat identified by Microsoft Security: I received a notification that Microsoft Security had identified threats so I opened up the protection history which showed "Threat found - action needed" and "Severe" at the top of a list of theats the rest of which have been blocked or quarantined, see attached screenshot....
  7. Windows Defender finds Threats but doesn't remove/quarantine a PUA and a Virus

Windows Defender finds Threats but doesn't remove/quarantine a PUA and a Virus: When I find a PUA and a virus and try to do ether Remove or Quarantine it just says "We are taking action but THEN THE RESULTS COME IN AND THE PUA Potential Unwanted App AND THE VIRUS DOESN'T GO AWAY. here is the detailed information about the virus and PUA Potential Unwanted...
  8. virus threat removal

virus threat removal: somehow I got a virus on my laptop, it says remediation incomplete and when I went to quarantine and delete it the only option is to allow it- how can I get rid of it. initially, windows defense said it has sorted it but it appears as remediation incomplete. how do I know if...
  9. Remove Quarantined Threats History

Remove Quarantined Threats History: Why can't I remove all quarantined threats and clear all history at once in windows 10? [Original Title: Quarantined Threats] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/remove-quarantined-threats-history/4022cd4c-482f-439b-b40e-af125d0ccbfc
  10. Quarantined Threats

Quarantined Threats: Why can't I remove all quarantined threats and clear all history at once in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/quarantined-threats/4022cd4c-482f-439b-b40e-af125d0ccbfc