Windows 10: Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker

Discus and support Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have set up BitLocker on my E:/ before (but I forgot to backup the key on Microsoft Account) However, when I install Windows, I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tom Chiang, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker

Hi everyone,

I have set up BitLocker on my E:/ before (but I forgot to backup the key on Microsoft Account)

However, when I install Windows, I have mistakenly clicked "Delete" E:/ , and all the data removed.

After Windows installation, I have formatted E:/ , and want to setup BitLocker again, it appears the error:

"The drive encryption algorithm and key cannot be set on a previously encrypted drive. To encrypt this drive with BitLocker Drive Encryption, remove the previous encryption and then turn on BitLocker."

May I know how to remove the previous BitLocker encryption?

I wish to setup a new BitLocker on E:/ again , thanks everyone!

Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker 0c3a63e6-cc06-4fbc-b189-0d16cd6138a1?upload=true.png

:)

Tom Chiang, Sep 23, 2019

2. How to remove bitlocker from system?

Hi Patrik,

BitLocker is a full disk encryption feature present on Windows.

It seems that the troubleshooting steps that you've tried are for Windows 7. We suggest checking this
    thread and follow the steps given by
    Johann Eva to remove BitLocker encryption.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Ronalene Mat, Sep 23, 2019
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Sep 23, 2019
  4. Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker

How to remove bitlocker encryption

My external hard drive is bitlocker encrypted . I had windows 10 pro but it's not booting anymore . See:

Windows 10 not booting

My friends don't have pro edition, they have home so I cannot remove bitlocker . Is there a way to remove bitlocker encryption in home edition .

Gwenmillett, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker

1. Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker - Similar Threads - Unable remove previous

2. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.: Greetings,I have a microSD card with bitlocker that I can unlock with my password and view the files on, but I'm unable to remove the encryption or format the drive. I've tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and I get similar errors. I do NOT need to recover information,...
  3. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.: Greetings,I have a microSD card with bitlocker that I can unlock with my password and view the files on, but I'm unable to remove the encryption or format the drive. I've tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and I get similar errors. I do NOT need to recover information,...
  4. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD: Windows 10 Pro crashed on bitlocker enabled PC. Cannot boot. Scans show no hardware issues. I have bitlocker key. If I physically remove the internal hard drives, will the bitlocker key decrypt them on another computer with Windows 7 Pro OS? If so how would I use the...
  5. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD: Windows 10 Pro crashed on bitlocker enabled PC. Cannot boot. Scans show no hardware issues. I have bitlocker key. If I physically remove the internal hard drives, will the bitlocker key decrypt them on another computer with Windows 7 Pro OS? If so how would I use the...
  6. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Bitlocker Removable Device Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Removable Device Encryption: We have just upgraded to SCCM 2006 and are testing the Bitlocker policies. We have successfully got fixed device encryption working but we are having real problems with Removable device encryption. With RD Encryption enabled, whenever I plug a USB device in it asks if I want...
  8. Unable to encrypt drive via Windows BitLocker

Unable to encrypt drive via Windows BitLocker: Hi There is some background of my problem I am using Windows BitLocker for quite a while. My C drive is fully encrypted. BitLocker always asks me to provide a password whenever I press the power button to start my laptop. Once the Password is supplied then Boot starts....
  9. Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive

Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive: I add bitlocker to one off my drive after window it cant open with the password and even with the bitlocker recovery key . ***Original title: Bitlocker***...
  10. Unable to remove previous versions of windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to remove previous versions of windows: My laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 around a year back and for the most part has been behaving itself - except for one occasion when a restore was needed to get things working again. This resulted in 2 folders on the C: drive: Windows.old and Windows.old(1). I have tried to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker did not revert to software encryption 2019