Windows 10: Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders

Discus and support Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; updated my nvidia graphics driver, started getting blue screen crashes. System restore did not correct. Found an nvidia sound device had been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EricParker25, May 31, 2021.

1. Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders

updated my nvidia graphics driver, started getting blue screen crashes. System restore did not correct. Found an nvidia sound device had been installed. Removed it and crashes stopped.Since then my folders are all read only and cannot be changed.Completed windows updaterun sfc & dism – no errorstaken ownership of drive and checked permissionsrun attribdisabled kaspersky internet securityI seem to be able to open and save all my files but cannot access adobe lightroom as it will not connect to a read only folder.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

EricParker25, May 31, 2021

2. How to remove Read Only attribute from Files and Folders?

Old title: Read Only

Hello Charles,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let us know few things to assist you better in this regard.

Are you concerned about removing Read Only Attribute from Files/Folders option?

Are you referring to the error Read Only while accessing files/folders?

Do you have any problem in unchecking Read Only option?

Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether or not the folder is customized. However you can't remove the attribute permanently from the Files/Folder options. Instead you can make changes accordingly if you're getting Read only error
    while accessing files or folders.

• Open the properties of the main
      User Profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc.). You can open the properties of a particular folder by
      Right-clicking on it and select Properties from context menu.

• Go to the Security tab and click
      Advanced.

• Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click
      Ok.

Keep us posted for any concerns with windows, we're glad to assist you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 31, 2021
  3. Read Only Attribute in Win 10

Hi Alexandru,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

You may experience any of the following symptoms:

• You cannot view or change the Read-only or System attributes of a folder by using the
      Properties dialog box for the folder. For example, you may experience the following symptoms:
      • When you view the General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box, the
        Read-only check box is not available, and there is no check box to change the System attribute.
      • You click to clear or click to select the Read-only check box on the
        General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box. When you click
        OK or Apply, you receive the following message:
        Confirm Attribute Changes

You have chosen to make the following attribute changes:

unset read-only

Do you want to apply this change to this folder only, or do you want to apply it to all subfolders and files as well?
        If you click Apply changes to this folder only, the Read-only attribute is changed for all the files in the folder. However, the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder, its subfolders, or any files in its subfolders. If you click
        Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files, the Read-only attribute is changed for all files in the folder and all files in the subfolders. However, the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder or its subfolders.
    • Some programs may display error messages when you try to save files to a folder that uses the Read-only or System attribute. As a result, these programs may not be able to save files to the folder.
    To work around this problem, use the Attrib command at a command prompt (Cmd.exe) to view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders. To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders
    Warning If you remove the Read-only or System attribute from a folder, it may appear as a ordinary folder and some customizations may be lost. For example, Windows customizes the Fonts folder and provides a special folder view that permits you
    to hide variations, such as bold and italic. It also permits you to change the folder's view settings in ways that are specific to fonts. If you remove the Read-only and System attributes of the Fonts folder, these customized view settings are not available.
    For folders that you have customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's
    Properties dialog box, the folder icon and other other customizations may be lost when you remove the Read-only attribute.

If a program cannot save files to a folder with the Read-only attribute, such as My Documents, change the Read-only attribute to System by using the Attrib command at a command prompt.

Note If the Run command is not listed on the
    Start menu, do the following: Click Start, click
    All Programs, click Accessories, and then click
    Run.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>
    For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
    attrib -r +s c:\test
    Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:
    attrib -r -s c:\test

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, May 31, 2021
  4. WilliamDz Win User

Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders

Unable to remove read-only attributes in Windows10

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is William, I’m an Independent Advisor. I'll be happy to help you out today.

This is a common misconception. The read-only attribute only applies to files, not folders. The purpose of the box on the folder is so that you can apply (check) or remove (empty) the read-only attribute on all the files in a specific folder. Subsequently,
    after you open the folder again, it is reset to its "filled-in" state, to denote neither attribute will be applied until you check/uncheck the box.

WilliamDz, May 31, 2021
Thema:

Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders

1. Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders - Similar Threads - Unable remove read

2. Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder: For some reason, a folder with some important data I have stored is sett as "Read Only." In the Security settings, permission is given to every user to modify the files and such, which is something I'm trying to do with a QGIS project I'm working on. For whatever reason, it...
  3. Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder: For some reason, a folder with some important data I have stored is sett as "Read Only." In the Security settings, permission is given to every user to modify the files and such, which is something I'm trying to do with a QGIS project I'm working on. For whatever reason, it...
  4. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  5. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  6. Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder

Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder: Hi- so recently ive been trying to mod Fallout 4 from game pass with little issue- except for the fact that I dont have authoring permissions on the file. I have Enabled mods within the XBOX app and have tried setting permissions to Everyone, but no dice.This is frustrating...
  7. Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder: Hi- so recently ive been trying to mod Fallout 4 from game pass with little issue- except for the fact that I dont have authoring permissions on the file. I have Enabled mods within the XBOX app and have tried setting permissions to Everyone, but no dice.This is frustrating...
  8. Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Folder attributes keep reverting to read only

Folder attributes keep reverting to read only: The title says it all - I installed an old game, and when I tried to save a game, I found that I couldn't. I checked the folder settings, and they said read only. I tried to uncheck it, but it keeps reverting. The option to only make the change to the folder itself is...
  10. Unable to remove read-only attributes in Windows10

Unable to remove read-only attributes in Windows10: System Info: Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable Windows Info: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ‎11/‎07/‎2020 OS build 19042.610 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0 I...