Windows 10: Unable to Remove Shadows Under Windows

Discus and support Unable to Remove Shadows Under Windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 10 v.1909 [build 18363.657] I want to remove the shadows under windows. Unfortunately, the simple method that involves unchecking a box in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bulldog, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Bulldog Win User

Unable to Remove Shadows Under Windows

In Windows 10 v.1909 [build 18363.657] I want to remove the shadows under windows. Unfortunately, the simple method that involves unchecking a box in Control Panel doesn't work.

In addition, going to this registry key:

HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Explorer > Visual Effects > ListviewShadow

and changing the DWORD value from 1 to 0 (to turn the effect off) followed by a restart also doesn't work, since Windows 10 ignores the change and continues to display shadows under windows.

How can I remove the shadows under windows?

:)

Bulldog, Feb 28, 2020
  2. JanxUK Win User

unable to remove shadow on icon text on desktop windows 8.1

I am using Windows 8.1 and recently the text on the icons on my desktop now have a shadow. I looked throughout my settings and can't seem to find a way to remove them. Any suggestions please would be appreciated.

JanxUK, Feb 28, 2020
  3. shadows not working on desktop (windows and mouse pointer)

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• When you say Shadows are you referring to drop shadows?
    • Were you able to get this shadows just after upgrade to Windows 10? If yes, were there any significant software or hardware changes made after that?

Drop shadow is a visual effect consisting of drawing that looks like the shadow of an object, giving the impression that the object is raised above the objects behind it.

Method 1:

If you have not tried the following steps you may check if it helps.

• • Open Control Panel and click System and security.

• Click on system.

• Click on Advanced system settings.

• Go to Advanced Tab.

• Select performance.

• Click settings.

• Check “Show shadows under windows” and click OK.

Method 2:

If the above method does not help, I would suggest you to try different background themes and check if it helps.

I hope the above information helps. If not, please get back to us with the updated status. We will be happy to assist you further.

Mann_Manohar, Feb 28, 2020
  4. Unable to Remove Shadows Under Windows

Drop shadow for desktop icon text font keeps coming back

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query In Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

The drop shadows on applications in the Windows 10 really big and suspiciously similar to the ones in OS X, and if they aren’t your speed, you can easily remove them. We actually think they look good, but since somebody out there won’t like them, here is
    how to disable them.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to Disable drop shadows.

• Alternatively you can use the Start Menu and search for “advanced system settings” and click on that item.
    • Go to the advanced tab and click the Settings
      button under Performance.
    • Find and uncheck “Show shadows under windows” and click
      Apply or OK
    • The drop shadows will immediately be removed.
    • As soon as you do, all drop shadow effects will be disabled, giving you a truly flat user interface.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

Unable to Remove Shadows Under Windows

1. Unable to Remove Shadows Under Windows - Similar Threads - Unable Remove Shadows

2. Unable to remove shadows on desktop icon text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove shadows on desktop icon text: Ever since Installing Windows 11 Moments 4 update, text shadows have appeared on my desktop icons. It tuns out that "Smooth edges of screen fonts" is the issue.When enabled, it's applying "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" setting as well. Turning on or off...
  3. Unable to remove shadows on desktop icon text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove shadows on desktop icon text: Ever since Installing Windows 11 Moments 4 update, text shadows have appeared on my desktop icons. It tuns out that "Smooth edges of screen fonts" is the issue.When enabled, it's applying "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" setting as well. Turning on or off...
  4. Unable to remove shadows on desktop icon text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove shadows on desktop icon text: Ever since Installing Windows 11 Moments 4 update, text shadows have appeared on my desktop icons.My Desktop icons used to look like this.When enabled, it's applying "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" setting as well.Turning "Use drop shadows for icon labels on...
  5. Unable to remove shadows on desktop icon text

Unable to remove shadows on desktop icon text: Ever since Installing Windows 11 Moments 4 update, text shadows have appeared on my desktop icons.My Desktop icons used to look like this.When enabled, it's applying "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" setting as well.Turning "Use drop shadows for icon labels on...
  6. Remove Shadow Under Icon Text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Shadow Under Icon Text: Remove Shadow Under Icon Text .I have tried going into the System properties... then Visual effects, and unchecking the box for "Use drop shadows for icons... " It does NOT work. Can someone please help me with this?...
  7. Remove Shadow Under Icon Text

Remove Shadow Under Icon Text: Remove Shadow Under Icon Text .I have tried going into the System properties... then Visual effects, and unchecking the box for "Use drop shadows for icons... " It does NOT work. Can someone please help me with this?...
  8. Remove Shadow Under Icon Text

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Show shadows under windows, but not menus

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Show shadows under windows, but not menus: I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'll bite anyway: Is there a possibility to have shadows under windows (as per the checkbox in the Advanced System Settings), but not menus? Is there a registry hack or utility that will allow for such an option? [img]...
  10. How to remove drop shadows under desktop text?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove drop shadows under desktop text?: . After last night's Win update, I now have version 1803. All my desktop icons now have drop shadows under the text. How can I remove these shadows? I tried Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings, but I couldn't see the setting. Thanks. 110504