Windows 10: Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file

Discus and support Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a directory that had both the hidden and systemattributes. I wanted it to be visible. I kept trying to fix each of these individually using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by adamAmiga0, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file

I had a directory that had both the hidden and systemattributes. I wanted it to be visible. I kept trying to fix each of these individually using the Attributecommand:

ATTRIB -S C:\X

ATTRIB -H C:\X

And each time, I got back the message it wouldn't be done:

Not resetting hidden file - C:\X

So attempts to unhide or "un-system" it via the administrative level command prompt returned the same error.Controlled folder access was not enabled, so that wasn't an issue. Also,ownership and full control were already set correctly.

In the end, the solution was to change both attributes at the same time to not hidden and not system:

ATTRIB -H -S C:\X

That fixed it.

I post this here since I spent more time searching for asolution than with the problem itself. It was a post at https://blog.coeo.com/how-to-prevent-robocopy-from-hiding-your-files-and-how-to-fix-it-when-it-doesthat pointing me in the right direction.

:)

adamAmiga0, Feb 7, 2021

2. Restore hidden file attributes

Thanks for the response. I did a system restore, it worked on some files (on AppData) but not on all of them.

The cardinal sin was that I did a right click in 'users' folder, properties --> attributes --> hidden (unmark,apply) --> apply to all subfolders. When I did the counter step, it obviously hides all the previously shown files too.

anil316619, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 7, 2021
  4. Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file

All hidden files turned Un-hidden

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I suggest you to re-add them to the hidden items list and check.

Steps:

• Right click on the folders to hide, select Properties.
    • Go to General tab, under Attributes check mark the option
      Hidden.
    • Click on Apply and on Ok.

I suggest you not to use any third party anti-virus software. Try to use Windows Defender.

Refer: Using Windows Defender

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file

1. Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file - Similar Threads - Unable Remove System

2. Remove Archive attribute from hidden files without unhiding them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove Archive attribute from hidden files without unhiding them: I found out that about 99.9% of the files on our company shared drive have the Archive attribute set. I need to remove that attribute from all files on that drive, so that they aren't included as 'modified' files when I try to run Robocopy. I'm using the following command...
  3. Remove Archive attribute from hidden files without unhiding them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Archive attribute from hidden files without unhiding them: I found out that about 99.9% of the files on our company shared drive have the Archive attribute set. I need to remove that attribute from all files on that drive, so that they aren't included as 'modified' files when I try to run Robocopy. I'm using the following command...
  4. Remove Archive attribute from hidden files without unhiding them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute: Hello Team,Am trying to use Remove-AppxPackage command to remove an appx package for all the users, it fails with below error. However, If I run the command without -AllUsers attributes it works.CommandRemove-appxpackage...
  6. Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute: Hello Team,Am trying to use Remove-AppxPackage command to remove an appx package for all the users, it fails with below error. However, If I run the command without -AllUsers attributes it works.CommandRemove-appxpackage...
  7. Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to clear hidden and system attributes of folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to clear hidden and system attributes of folder: I tried to clear it with total commander but it did not work. I made this folder system and hidean using total commander DOS very long time ago and now it is not visible in a new cloned OS drive . - - - Updated - - - nevermind I changed view option now it is visible 175202
  9. Restore hidden file attributes

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore hidden file attributes: I accidentally made all files of windows to be shown (unhide using properties--> attributes). Now, if I click hide again, the system is hiding folders that are open by default (say documents vs appdata, appdata must be hidden but documents must be visible). Is there a way...
  10. File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer: I had a user complain he couldn't see (& delete) a lock file our program had created. I can find it in a command prompt, dir /ah (and NOT dir /as). In Explorer, Folder Options->View->Uncheck "Hide Protected operating System Files" which stops Explorer displaying files with...