Windows 10: Unable to remove users - requires permissions

Discus and support Unable to remove users - requires permissions in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I want to remove all existing users in a PC. I am logged in as administrator. If there are multiple users on the machine, I am able to delete some but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jose Vasquez2, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Unable to remove users - requires permissions

I want to remove all existing users in a PC. I am logged in as administrator. If there are multiple users on the machine, I am able to delete some but not others. With those I am unable to delete, it requires permissions although I am already logged in as administrator. Usually the most recent active user is the one that persists. Any workaround on this one without having to actually reset the PC? Thank you.

:)

Jose Vasquez2, Jun 9, 2023

2. Unknown User - Powershell context menu - unable to remove permissions

Running Windows 10 - poweshell.exe loads on startup (context menu).

I am unable to remove it. There is an unknown user (see screen shot)
    Unable to remove users - requires permissions [​IMG]
    that I can not remove from permissions. When I remove it, the unknown user reappears when I apply changes. I am the only user listed on the PC, I am unable to see "any other" users listed. I have full Admin user rights.

I am trying to remove powershell from the computer but it keep reinstalling itself I once was able to delete all references to powershell, but it reinstalled as part of an update.

After taking ownership and changing access rights on folders the files and registry entries to full access, they still cannot be deleted?

I understand powershell is not needed in windows 10, but it may allow other users to remotely access my system?

why does this unknown user auto give itself permissions after being removed?

chefdave86, Jun 9, 2023
  3. Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Unable to remove users - requires permissions 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Jun 9, 2023
  4. Unable to remove users - requires permissions

Unable to delete a particular folder. Error: "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."

Windows Edition 10 Version 1809, OS build 18272.1000

After installing the latest creators update I have the following issue. When using Explorer to delete a folder that is not empty I always get this issue: "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder." It doesn't matter
    if I just created it or not. I can remove the folder just fine using rmdir <folder> /s /q.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Using explorer create the folder c:\users\rob\a\b\c.
    2. Using explorer try to delete folder c:\users\rob\a.
      1. It fails with "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."
    3. Using explorer delete the folder c:\users\rob\a\b\c -works just fine
    4. Using explorer delete the folder c:\users\rob\a\b -works just fine
    5. Using explorer delete the folder c:\users\rob\a -works just fine.

This will also reproduce the issue

1. mkdir c:\users\rob\a
    2. mkdir c:\users\rob\a\b
    3. mkdir c:\users\rob\a\b\c
    4. Using explorer try to delete folder c:\users\rob\a.
      1. It fails with "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."

This is a new behavior and is causing some build tools to fail.

Thanks,

Rob

***Title modified from Windows Explorer Permissions Isuse***

Rob.Kreger, Jun 9, 2023
Thema:

Unable to remove users - requires permissions

1. Unable to remove users - requires permissions - Similar Threads - Unable remove users

2. Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...: Just wanted to look something in the WindowsApps folder and changed the permission to me respectively the owner. Now I want to restore it to default owner the TrustedInstaller but I got many denial from changing it back. Cancelled the attempt, but now I have no more...
  3. Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...: Just wanted to look something in the WindowsApps folder and changed the permission to me respectively the owner. Now I want to restore it to default owner the TrustedInstaller but I got many denial from changing it back. Cancelled the attempt, but now I have no more...
  4. Unable to remove users - requires permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove users - requires permissions: I want to remove all existing users in a PC. I am logged in as administrator. If there are multiple users on the machine, I am able to delete some but not others. With those I am unable to delete, it requires permissions although I am already logged in as administrator....
  5. Unable to remove users - requires permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to remove users - requires permissions: I want to remove all existing users in a PC. I am logged in as administrator. If there are multiple users on the machine, I am able to delete some but not others. With those I am unable to delete, it requires permissions although I am already logged in as administrator....
  6. Unable to delete folder as administrator. Requires permission from system.

Unable to delete folder as administrator. Requires permission from system.: I am trying to delete a folder on my computer, but am unable because I require permission from "system". I cannot delete it through powershell or the cmd, and cannot change the permissions on it "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied." I am the system...
  7. Authenticated Users & Everyone unable to apply permission

Authenticated Users & Everyone unable to apply permission: Hi When applying permission to folders for Authenticated Users & Everyone the system says - access denied part way through applying them. Authenticated Users has no permissions at all and can't apply, and Everyone when created and the permission applied also denied. on my...
  8. Requiring Administrator's permission but I'm the only user??

Requiring Administrator's permission but I'm the only user??: Recently the PC's been saying I need Administrator's permission before saving a file into certain folders I've already created. I'm the only user and don't recall setting up any security guidelines on this. I'm not the type to wander through the entrails of my PC checking...
  9. unable to remove user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to remove user: Hi there, I tried to remove my child's profile: -it never worked properly - even if I only allowed 30min screening time, my boy could have 1.5 hours. Strange. With other son it worked. - I removed my son from Microsoft Family in order to start from scratch again. I...
  10. Unknown User - Powershell context menu - unable to remove permissions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User - Powershell context menu - unable to remove permissions: Running Windows 10 - poweshell.exe loads on startup (context menu). I am unable to remove it. There is an unknown user (see screen shot) [img] that I can not remove from permissions. When I remove it, the unknown user reappears when I apply changes. I am the only user...