Windows 10: Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems

Discus and support Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I recently allowed the Windows update to v1903 and all looked OK, except I know have a c:\users\xxxxx.000 directory (where xxxxx is the user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ShakeyCan, Jun 19, 2019.

1. ShakeyCan Win User

Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems

Hi all,

I recently allowed the Windows update to v1903 and all looked OK, except I know have a c:\users\xxxxx.000 directory (where xxxxx is the user name). Anyway, while trying to ensure everything was OK with OneDrive, somehow I managed to create a directory call "desktop " - with a space at the end - in the OneDrive folder list.

Now I receive a OneDrive sync error saying that this folder contains characters not allowed. When I try to rename it, I receive a message in explorer saying that the item doesn't exist. Similar message if I try through a command line. Note that the folder hasn't sync'd so it is on my laptop only.

Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems 4f42f528-3ecc-4365-9db4-9567b666dc14?upload=true.jpg

Suggestions on how to remove the folder? Short of rebuilding the PC!

Thanks!

:)

ShakeyCan, Jun 19, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jun 19, 2019
  3. tfwul Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Unable to delete a folder on an external USB HDD. Tried with take ownership.
    Tried Takedown, and some options on
    Owner of Files and Folders - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I booted from USB (WinPE/Paragon) and accessed command prompt from there.
    Deleting the folder: invalid folder name.

Have no idea how to solve it.
    I can rename the folder, but not move it.

Any suggestions?

As far as I can see I am the owner/administrator and having full control on the folder...?

=
    W10 Unable to delete folder-invalid folder name.pdf

Have combined all screenshots into 1 PDF - else the post would be way too big.
    never uploaded a PDF before.
    =

tfwul, Jun 19, 2019
  4. Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems

Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems

1. Unable to rename/delete folder in OneDrive that has name problems - Similar Threads - Unable rename delete

2. OneDrive folder named ""

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive folder named "": Hello, if anyone know how can this folder "" was created inside my OneDrive account. It was created last October 2023 and the thing is I don't have Japanese keyboard, language, setting related in my windows 11 PC. I also clearly did not created this folder. It translated...
  3. OneDrive folder named ""

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive folder named "": Hello, if anyone know how can this folder "" was created inside my OneDrive account. It was created last October 2023 and the thing is I don't have Japanese keyboard, language, setting related in my windows 11 PC. I also clearly did not created this folder. It translated...
  4. Windows 11 - File Explorer - Problems with Naming/Renaming Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - File Explorer - Problems with Naming/Renaming Folders: I have recently moved to Windows 11 on "multiple" PCs/Laptops including a brand new Dell Desktop which I just setup a day ago. I am having a common problem across all these PCs/Laptops which are different brands including Lenovo & Dell, are of different ages, and some are...
  5. Windows 11 - File Explorer - Problems with Naming/Renaming Folders

Windows 11 - File Explorer - Problems with Naming/Renaming Folders: I have recently moved to Windows 11 on "multiple" PCs/Laptops including a brand new Dell Desktop which I just setup a day ago. I am having a common problem across all these PCs/Laptops which are different brands including Lenovo & Dell, are of different ages, and some are...
  6. Unable to delete or rename folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete or rename folders: I am sorry, but what the hell is going on Windows 10? Three days ago my windows forced me to restart the pc and accept the update. But after windows start again trapped in blue page. I made boot file by hand and windows started finally. But after that day my pc is handling...
  7. Unable to rename folders.

Unable to rename folders.: Since an update, am now unable to rename folder, getting an error message saying it "can't find specified file" "Make sure you specify the correct path and file name". Have no idea why this has happened and have looked at several methods, however and dubious about downloading...
  8. RENAME OF DESKTOP FOLDER NAME

RENAME OF DESKTOP FOLDER NAME: Hi, My computer language is English and all folder names are English, but Desktop folder is shown as 'Masaustu' in Turkish language. How can I change the 'Masaustu' folder name to 'Desktop'? Thanks. [ATTACH]...
  9. Problem Deleting Folder on OneDrive

Problem Deleting Folder on OneDrive: I've been backing up some of my stuff on OneDrive, and today, when I tried to rename one of the folders on OneDrive I got an error message saying that the path was too long. I clicked No/Cancel/Whatever-it-was-called thinking that it would abort the rename. Instead, OneDrive...
  10. Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name: Unable to delete a folder on an external USB HDD. Tried with take ownership. Tried Takedown, and some options on Owner of Files and Folders - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I booted from USB (WinPE/Paragon) and accessed command prompt from there. Deleting the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. one drive folder back up says to rename or delete a file but i can not find it

2. unable to rename one drive folder

3. how to rename onedrive name

4. onedrive problems rename delete etc