Unable to rename files and folders accessed via a junction

Discus and support Unable to rename files and folders accessed via a junction in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using an NTFS junction "C:\foobar" to access a folder that actually resides in "C:\Users\myid\Documents\foobar". Trying to sketch this:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Jul 10, 2018 at 7:43 AM.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

I am using an NTFS junction "C:\foobar" to access a folder that actually resides in "C:\Users\myid\Documents\foobar".

Trying to sketch this:
    C:\foobar------------------------------+
    |
    V
    C:\Users\myid\Documents\foobar\.....loooong paths here....

The reason for using such a junction is that the folder foobar contains a huge subtree of files (an eclipse workspace including the infamous .metadata directory) that tends to contain filenames and paths that are exceeding the old 255 character path length.
    The file system doesn't have any issues with such long paths that but many tools do. Using the shorter path variant I have evaded all path-length related issues so far.

But yesterday I ran into a very strange issue:

For some reason I cannot rename folders and files anymore that I access using the shorter variant while I have absolutely no issue, renaming or otherwise manipulating the same directories and files when specifying the long variant, i.e.
    issuing:
    ren C:\Users\myid\Documents\foobar\xyz.abc xxx.abc
    works perfectly OK, while
    ren C:\foobar\xyz.abc xxx.abc
    invariably yields a "The file is too large for the destination file system" error, regardless of whether I try to rename a folder or a file.

The odd thing is: this has worked before! For years! The error appeared yesterday and I have absolutely no clue what could have changed on my system to cause this.

For some odd reason file operations suddenly behave differently when accessing via the junction or when access using the full name.

I have verified that security settings/file permissions are the same via both paths ("Full access" for my user-id with all permissions ticked except "Special permissions"). I have rebooted the system, I ran chkdsk, etc.

Any ideas?

:)

2. Azaruddin Syed Win User

Unable to create a new folder or rename a folder

Hi Edver,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I'll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that you may not be able to rename or add a new folder from Quick access. It will allow you to open the folders that are frequently used, recently viewed files or the files/folders that are added to
    Quick access.

If you are unable to create or rename files/folders in other folders as well, then I would suggest you to run a SFC scan.

System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Jul 10, 2018 at 7:46 AM
  3. ThofikhAhamad Win User
    files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 10, 2018 at 7:46 AM
  4. Dennis Mop Win User

Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Thema:

1. Unable to rename files and folders accessed via a junction - Similar Threads - Unable rename files

2. Unable to install Win10 from Usb device (fixed)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to install Win10 from Usb device (fixed): I recently bought a preloaded Windows 10 USB drive from Walmart, and plugged it into my new computer, and It boots, but won't install. I get to the part where you need to select the driver to install. When i opened "browse", and click the USB that Windows is on, I get an...
  3. unable to do system restore. this messages appears Dx80070005

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    unable to do system restore. this messages appears Dx80070005: message appear dx80070005 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/unable-to-do-system-restore-this-messages-appears/9efbeb5d-116d-4385-a602-ea06c3a75cf1
  4. unable to connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to connect to wifi: im using Manufacturer: Ralink Technology, Corp. Description: Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter Driver version: 5.0.57.0 Physical address: ‎9C-D2-1E-7E-56-2B ive updated the adapter recently since suddenly im unable to access the internet , after updating the adapter,...
  5. ASUS GU501GM trackpad not being found, drivers unable to install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ASUS GU501GM trackpad not being found, drivers unable to install: To whom it may concern, I am having difficulty trying to work the trackpad. Everything was able to update driver wise, though I still cannot get the trackpad to work....
  6. Unable to start lynx7 tablet running widows 10. tablet starts but no touch screen working...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to start lynx7 tablet running widows 10. tablet starts but no touch screen working...: Unable to start lynx7 tablet running widows 10. tablet starts but no touch screen working...unable to sign in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/unable-to-start-lynx7-tablet-running-widows-10/bd7f5561-31f9-4eff-82e8-3184e7f8d5b0
  7. Unable to create Windows 10 bootable ISO file.

Unable to create Windows 10 bootable ISO file.: I am aiming to re-install Windows 10 on my laptop, as it has become grindingly slow. The laptop started out with a factory installed version of Win 7 and I then upgraded to Win 10 when you could do it for free. Now when I go to create a bootable ISO on a 16GB memory stick...
  8. Unable to Update Windows 10

Unable to Update Windows 10: I am unable to update Windows 10 due to an error message, Avir Antivir, the program does not exist and I have run the Avir removal tool in Safe Mode with absolutely no effect, same error message...
  9. Unable to update or install apps from Windows Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to update or install apps from Windows Store: Hi! After the latest Windows 10 update (ver 17134.165), I noticed that I am unable to update or install app from store. The error code is 0x80070002. According to what I've already searched on Google, I've tried to: 1. Run WSReset.exe 2. Change my Microsoft account to local...
  10. Unable to rename/delete or move folders since updates KB4090913/14

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to rename/delete or move folders since updates KB4090913/14: An issue has surfaced for me since updates KB4090913 and KB4090914, and is still there after today;s KB4088776 update. If attempting to rename/delete/move a folder that is images (jpg, png etc), an error comes up: "The action can't be completed because the folder or a...