Windows 10: Unable to rename files and folders

Discus and support Unable to rename files and folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a w10 Pro 64 bit PC and for whatever reason today this machine has decided it wont let me rename files or folders. I built this PC a few months... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rocks911, Nov 27, 2018.

1. rocks911 Win User

Unable to rename files and folders

I have a w10 Pro 64 bit PC and for whatever reason today this machine has decided it wont let me rename files or folders. I built this PC a few months back and it has been operating flawlessly, except now this.

When I go to rename a file or folder I get "if you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"

This is the first time I have seen this behavior on this PC.

I also have to wonder what is going on with my Firefox browser. It has just started to block a lot of pages with the warning "Your connection is not secure", and under the advanced tab on the dead end page it directs me to it indicates "SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER" This is occurring with 50% or more of the pages I visit. It even happened trying to access a Microsoft site.

These two behaviors started today out of the blue. I have multiple security software apps to include Malwarebytes and Bitdefender among others and they are all coming up with nothing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

:)

rocks911, Nov 27, 2018

2. Unable to create a new folder or rename a folder

Hi Edver,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I'll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that you may not be able to rename or add a new folder from Quick access. It will allow you to open the folders that are frequently used, recently viewed files or the files/folders that are added to
    Quick access.

If you are unable to create or rename files/folders in other folders as well, then I would suggest you to run a SFC scan.

System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Nov 27, 2018
  3. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Nov 27, 2018
  4. Unable to rename files and folders

Renaming local files and folders issue

Hi,

To further assist you with renaming local files and folders, we suggest for you to check this

link
    and see the steps which has the marked as answer.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

Unable to rename files and folders

1. Unable to rename files and folders - Similar Threads - Unable rename files

2. Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder updated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder updated: ***update 15 APR 2023 the issue is: Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folderOriginal post: LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File ExplorerHi,I'm sorry to write this.Half of the world suffers from it for many years:LONG PATH DOES NOT WORK IN Windows 10 File...
  3. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  4. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  5. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it: I am unable to make a new folder in file explorer and then rename it. This happened in Windows 10 and is still happening after I installed Windows 11. I make a new folder and it shows up normally as 'New Folder" . When I try to rename it, it jumps to some other existing...
  7. unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it: I am unable to make a new folder in file explorer and then rename it. This happened in Windows 10 and is still happening after I installed Windows 11. I make a new folder and it shows up normally as 'New Folder" . When I try to rename it, it jumps to some other existing...
  8. Unable to rename folders.

Unable to rename folders.: Since an update, am now unable to rename folder, getting an error message saying it "can't find specified file" "Make sure you specify the correct path and file name". Have no idea why this has happened and have looked at several methods, however and dubious about downloading...
  9. Unable to rename a folder to COM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to rename a folder to COM: Hi friends Unable to rename a folder to "COM" Error "The specified device name is invalid" this picture of error https://3sotbar.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Capture.jpg...
  10. Rename file folder

Rename file folder: When I am trying to rename a number of files. I can do one and then for the next ones the program says the file is in use and cannot be changed. It is not in use anywhere. In order to rename, I have to close right out of File Explorer and then go back in and rename one file...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to rename the folder file not found