Windows 10: Unable to rename folders.

Discus and support Unable to rename folders. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since an update, am now unable to rename folder, getting an error message saying it "can't find specified file" "Make sure you specify the correct path... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jock_035, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Jock_035 Win User

Unable to rename folders.

Since an update, am now unable to rename folder, getting an error message saying it "can't find specified file" "Make sure you specify the correct path and file name". Have no idea why this has happened and have looked at several methods, however and dubious about downloading random stuff from websites. Have attempted to follow a previous MS guide from circa 2016 however neither option worked and have followed a video about registry editor but nothing there either.

thanks.

:)

Jock_035, Oct 6, 2020

2. Unable to create a new folder or rename a folder

Hi Edver,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I'll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that you may not be able to rename or add a new folder from Quick access. It will allow you to open the folders that are frequently used, recently viewed files or the files/folders that are added to
    Quick access.

If you are unable to create or rename files/folders in other folders as well, then I would suggest you to run a SFC scan.

System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Oct 6, 2020
  3. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Oct 6, 2020
  4. Unable to rename folders.

Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

Unable to rename folders.

1. Unable to rename folders. - Similar Threads - Unable rename folders

2. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  3. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  4. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to Rename Downloads folder

Unable to Rename Downloads folder: Hello - I managed to change my Downloads folder somehow to some jibberish like a series of jjjjjjjjjjjjjjj and spaces and more letters. I may have fallen asleep and my hand relaxed on the keyboard ;- but now I can't figure out how to change it back. Right click does not have...
  6. Unable to delete or rename folders

Unable to delete or rename folders: I am sorry, but what the hell is going on Windows 10? Three days ago my windows forced me to restart the pc and accept the update. But after windows start again trapped in blue page. I made boot file by hand and windows started finally. But after that day my pc is handling...
  7. Unable to rename a very large folder

Unable to rename a very large folder: One of our users has about 20-30 files including folders in his OneDrive. A couple of the folders are very large 100+GB. The problem is the user is unable to rename the top level folder. Get an error that is similar to "The number of items in this list exceeds the list view...
  8. Unable to rename a folder to COM Error

Unable to rename a folder to COM Error: I came across a problem quaint, does anyone also having problems? https://promad.ir/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2-12.jpg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-rename-a-folder-to-com-error/1cb90187-1fba-49f2-9b72-7f7db59e3d14
  9. Unable to rename a folder to COM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to rename a folder to COM: Hi friends Unable to rename a folder to "COM" Error "The specified device name is invalid" this picture of error https://3sotbar.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Capture.jpg...
  10. Unable to rename files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to rename files and folders: I have a w10 Pro 64 bit PC and for whatever reason today this machine has decided it wont let me rename files or folders. I built this PC a few months back and it has been operating flawlessly, except now this. When I go to rename a file or folder I get "if you change a file...