Windows 10: Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search

Discus and support Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search in Cortana to solve the problem; When making a search from Windows File Explorer, any files in the result with sufficiently long file paths cannot be renamed from the search result.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by borkingham, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search

When making a search from Windows File Explorer, any files in the result with sufficiently long file paths cannot be renamed from the search result. However when navigating to the file location and renaming from there, one is able to change the file name.This seems like a bug as the enforced max length of path + name is inconsistent between the search result and access from the file folder.Any known solutions?Edit: Relevant unresolved question asked previously: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-rename-files-in-file-explorer-search/4f37c1cb-b852-4a0b-a88c-eff90c99029b

:)

borkingham, Aug 5, 2021
  2. JeffCL Win User

Searching for a string within a filename in File Explorer

I want to search a folder for filenames that contain the word "Committee". When in File Explorer, I type "Committee" into the Search field and hit enter. It finds (highlights in yellow) files that start with "Committee" but not the ones where "Committee"
    is embedded in the file name. For example:

• "Committee-Mission-Roles-and-Responsibilities" = finds it and highlights "Committee" in yellow
    • "19510701ListClubCommitteesReportDirectorsBW" = Lists this file but does not highlight "Committee" in yellow
    • "20150526MinutesBoard" = Lists this file because the word "Committee" is in the text of the file.
    Is there a way to do a search that lists only filenames that contain the word "Committee"? I don't want files listed if the word "Committee" is not part of the filename.

Moved from ( Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage )

JeffCL, Aug 5, 2021
  3. mixa Win User
    Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

mixa, Aug 5, 2021
  4. Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search

Cannot Rename Files in File Explorer Search Results

Using Windows 10 File Explorer, I brought up a list of files that required renaming. The search criterion was file type, i.e. "type:mp3." I then tried to rename the files (removing a hyphen and replacing it with a space), but kept getting a disallowed
    action 'chime.'

It turns out I cannot use the space bar or type any other characters at all. Deleting characters is OK, but pressing letters, numbers or the space bar, for example, are all disallowed. I have tried both Right Click -> Rename and F2 methods.

If I go back to the file directory itself, i.e. without using Search Tool, I can rename files (whether spaces, letters, or whatever) no problem. Unfortunately, with a large number of files, finding the ones to rename is painstaking.

This was certainly no problem under Windows XP, but appears to be yet another 'feature' in Windows 10. Indeed, under XP's File Explorer, you could search on filename, rename it so that the new name fell out of the results set and poof, no problem.
    This isn't even the issue here, so what gives?

LostInSpace88, Aug 5, 2021
Thema:

Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search

1. Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search - Similar Threads - Unable rename long

2. Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...: long path folder means more than 260 character longI have done these steps but issue is still exist:1. Check if long path names are enabled in the registry. You can do this by opening the Registry Editor regedit.exe and navigating to...
  3. Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...: long path folder means more than 260 character longI have done these steps but issue is still exist:1. Check if long path names are enabled in the registry. You can do this by opening the Registry Editor regedit.exe and navigating to...
  4. Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  6. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  7. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename: I expect that if I type an expression into the search bar in File Explorer, which primarily displays file names, it will be searched in the names of files with the CONTAINS method and not just StartsWith method. I have read this, but the problem has not been resolved:...
  9. Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames: This is pissing me off! Has been for years now. How can MS still not have a file explorer use the extended API functions so it can actually work with long file names and paths? My classical music collection alone requires that. Does anyone know of a good windows file...
  10. Can't search zip files by filename in explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't search zip files by filename in explorer?: Have a folder with a bunch of zip files, if I search the folder I get no results even though I can see the file names. Example: I search for "blue" And the files in the folder are: blue.zip red.zip green.zip There are no results. What's up? submitted by /u/wozmatic...