Windows 10: Unable to reset the computer

Discus and support Unable to reset the computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a laptop that I'd like to format and install windows all over again. Selecting Reset and the option to remove all files the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hoggorm, May 26, 2017.

1. Hoggorm Win User

Unable to reset the computer

Hi,

I have a laptop that I'd like to format and install windows all over again.

Selecting Reset and the option to remove all files the computer reports it prepares everything. After some time however it stops with a message saying something like (it is in Norwegian on my laptop, so there might be somewhat different in English):

There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes have been made.

I've tried it a couple of times but get the same error every time. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

:)

Hoggorm, May 26, 2017

2. Unable to reset the computer

i cant reset my computer neither can i access my menu kindly help?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

crispusGashing'o, May 26, 2017
  3. Unable to reset the computer

If all else fails, one easy way to get it fixed up is to go to the
    Download Windows 10
    webpage and click the "Download Tool Now" button. Run that tool and it will help you create your own CD or USB thumb stick with all the setup files on it. Then you can just boot-up
    using that drive and perform the refresh without hassle.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 26, 2017
  4. Unable to reset the computer

Hi Hoggorm

I would move on to just doing a clean install. As part of process I would delete the partitions Windows used and allow it to reconfigure them. I assume you have boot media.

If not you can down load from Microsoft but be advised if you use Media Creation Tool you will be installing the Creator Update.

Clean Install Windows 10

Note the warnings about secure boot and fast boot in tutorial.

It is possible to get other versions if required.

Ken

Edit 1: Information on how to get other ISO's in this thread

Need safe 1511 ISO

Caledon Ken, May 26, 2017
Thema:

Unable to reset the computer

1. Unable to reset the computer - Similar Threads - Unable reset computer

2. unable to factory reset computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to factory reset computer: I want to factory reset this computer but cannot because of the recovery media. When I try to get the recovery media, it says I'm missing files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-factory-reset-computer/2f3ad5a0-a4a2-464d-a07a-a353432c69bb
  3. unable to factory reset computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to factory reset computer: I want to factory reset this computer but cannot because of the recovery media. When I try to get the recovery media, it says I'm missing files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-factory-reset-computer/2f3ad5a0-a4a2-464d-a07a-a353432c69bb
  4. unable to factory reset computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unable to sign into my computer after reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to sign into my computer after reset: Hi, I recently reset my computer using the 'just remove my files' option as I was going to give it too my brother. however after the reset I got a 'user profile service failed the sign in. User profile cannot be loaded' error. Ive tried all the suggested fixes for this but...
  6. Unable to sign into my computer after reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to sign into my computer after reset: Hi, I recently reset my computer using the 'just remove my files' option as I was going to give it too my brother. however after the reset I got a 'user profile service failed the sign in. User profile cannot be loaded' error. Ive tried all the suggested fixes for this but...
  7. Unable to reset computer

Unable to reset computer: I've had the BSoD for a few weeks now, and I've tried all of the videos on YouTube pertaining to the Command Prompt. At this point in time, I just want my computer back, and everything is in the Cloud anyways, so I'm fine with resetting. I get to the troubleshooting screen...
  8. Unable to reset computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to reset computer: The button for resetting the computer doesn't work [Settings > Update & Security > Recovery], how to fix this? There are no error messages https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-reset-computer/acec9f37-c279-4c49-ac6f-4a0f81a82ab0
  9. Unable to Log In Following Computer Reset

Unable to Log In Following Computer Reset: Hello everyone, i have an issue and i've run out of ideas to solve it I recently had to reset my computer to factory settings as it had somehow deleted it's own desktop and became unusable. The computer is now displaying the log in screen, with the only option being "Other...
  10. Unable to reset my computer

Unable to reset my computer: Hello! I was making this question as I was wondering how to reset my PC. I plan on selling it to a friend so naturally I wanted to wipe the hard drive so that it could be fresh and work properly. However when I go into the settings and go to reset the PC, every time it has...