Windows 10: Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied.

Discus and support Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to resize a partition that contains the OS files. When I try to use the Disk Management interface, I am able to see the partition, right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by j.drpepper79, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied.

I am trying to resize a partition that contains the OS files. When I try to use the Disk Management interface, I am able to see the partition, right click and select Extend Drive. Walks me through the screens but returns "Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied" error when I hit Finish.

Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied. 1d3d5301-05d3-4a8b-ae6c-475e9eafafef?upload=true.png

I have tried taking ownership of the C drive and all the sub folders, tried diskpart, tried Powershell but everything returns an error that Access is denied.

Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied. e3f5c0dd-1f60-485e-bb10-2ccc94203677?upload=true.png

I have tried booting in to Safe Mode, moving the pagefile over to another disk but nothing seems to work.

This is an OS drive for our Exchanage server so formatting or blowing it away in any fashion is out of the question. I am able to drill in to every folder and create files, delete files, basically do everything except expand the drive out.

These are the only errors related to the issue that I can find in the logs under, Application and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > StorageManagement

Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied. 511277bd-cb65-46ff-baa8-3eab9a3f5836?upload=true.png

Is there something obvious that I am missing as to why Disk Manager is denying my access?

:)

j.drpepper79, Dec 15, 2020

2. Access denied to hard disk partition

Hello,

when i try to open the disk E folder (which is a partition created)

i have tried formatting the partition through disk management.

when i hit delete volume, it says for force deletion click yes

and when i hit yes, it says access is denied . any help how to format and delete the partition

Bhushan. V, Dec 15, 2020
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied. :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Dec 15, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied.

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied.

1. Unable to resize partition - Virtual Disk Manager, Access is Denied. - Similar Threads - Unable resize partition

2. Virtual Disk Manager Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Disk Manager Access Denied: Hello I have a problem my external hard drive is broken and I need to initialize the disk but this gets in the way. Please help me asap https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-disk-manager-access-denied/96949486-3f9c-4c8f-aff4-f3b262c2c6cd
  3. Virtual Disk Manager Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Disk Manager Access Denied: Hello I have a problem my external hard drive is broken and I need to initialize the disk but this gets in the way. Please help me asap https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-disk-manager-access-denied/96949486-3f9c-4c8f-aff4-f3b262c2c6cd
  4. Partition Manager Free Edition: Disk Resize & Partitioning Software for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Partition Manager Free Edition: Disk Resize & Partitioning Software for Windows 10: [ATTACH]Paragon Partition Manager Community Edition is a free partition manager software to manage disks […] This article Partition Manager Free Edition: Disk Resize & Partitioning Software for Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Access denied to disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access denied to disk: I right click on run. Type in cmd. When the box comes up I type chkdsk and I receive a message that says "Access denied as you do not have suffient privileges or the disk may be locked another process. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode and make sure...
  6. Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service in Disk Management: I am running a Dell XPS702 with Windows 10 and recently tried to format a USB. After this operation the Disk Management system is blank and gives Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service. I have tried manually activating it using services.msc but although it starts it...
  7. Disk Management "Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management "Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service": I have checked it out in Services.msc Manual, take no action, take no action. I have run sfc/scannow with no issues. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-unable-to-connect-to-virtual-disk/4bb80116-c063-4e05-9216-3f56c4231f37
  8. Unable To Assign Letter To Disk Partition In Disk Management

Unable To Assign Letter To Disk Partition In Disk Management: Hi, I Have An External Hard Disk and For Some Reason One Of Its Partitions Did Not Show Up In The Explorer So I Researched And Found Out That It Was Because There Was No Letter Assigned To It. I Opened Up Disk Management And Tried To Assign A Letter To It But There was An...
  9. virtual disk manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    virtual disk manager: i just upgraded to a samsung ssd on my lenovo t580. when i try to create a new simple volume it gives me this error. (disk 1 is my old hdd plugged in through a usb cable). i would prefer to merge the unallocated space with the C: drive, but that does not appear to be possible...
  10. Virtual Disk Manager Access Denied

Virtual Disk Manager Access Denied: Hello I have a problem my external hard drive is broken and I need to initialize the disk but this gets in the way. Please help me asap[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-disk-manager-access-denied/ae295766-9a1d-4163-a6b6-80325094399f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virtual disk manager access is denied