Windows 10: Unable to restore cCleaner registry backup

Discus and support Unable to restore cCleaner registry backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I just migrated over from the Seven Forums where I've gone for assistance since Win7 came out. That old computer's power supply finally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by RknRusty, Mar 5, 2016.

1. RknRusty Win User

Unable to restore cCleaner registry backup

Hello everyone. I just migrated over from the Seven Forums where I've gone for assistance since Win7 came out. That old computer's power supply finally lost its smoke this week. I have a new HP Pavillion desktop PC and have already done something stupid. Don't scold me, I'll never do it again, but too late for this time

I downloaded Ccleaner today and while tinkering, I "Fixed" a few registry problems
    Unable to restore cCleaner registry backup [​IMG]
    . It is unable to access the registry to restore using the Merge option in the context menu. I tried typing in the whole path to the file at the CMD prompt with the same results. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Rusty

:)

RknRusty, Mar 5, 2016

2. How do I downgrade from windows 10 to windowss 8.1 ?

Either you have them or you don't. See
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/faq/using/how-do-i-restore-registry-backups

CCleaner doesn't save backups of the changes made by Registry Cleaner component by default. Before using the Registry Cleaner, you must configure CCleaner such that (a) you're prompted to save backups of the changes you're making and then (b) accept the
    prompt every time you see it.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Mar 5, 2016
  3. neilpzz Win User
    All my icons are gone??

Did you backup any changes made by CCleaner for the registry. If so restore the registry keys.

Otherwise try a system restore.

neilpzz, Mar 5, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

the general rule is never to use registry cleaners as you obviously know *Wink but the one on CCleaner is generally regarded as prety safe its a very good piece of software what issues are you having? I find it odd CCleaner has screwed up your pc

Archie123, Mar 5, 2016
  5. Why are you trying to restore the backup, is something broken or not working?
    Maybe (most likely) it is something not related to CCleaner, just bad timing.

TairikuOkami, Mar 5, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Try creating a .reg file in notepad and then merge the keys.

Cliff S, Mar 5, 2016
  7. RknRusty Win User
    Thanks for the replies.
    Nothing is really wrong, except my panic bells went off when I decided to open a recently used file and found all the recents didn't pop up when I drag up on the app's icon, or any others, in the taskbar. No big deal... but then I could not manually locate that file in my Documents folder. Now the panic sets in, since my wife had created Word and Excel files earlier in the day for 3 peoples tax returns. Earlier in the day I'd been installing MBAM, Ccleaner and other old favorite utilities.

Well, the story goes, I'd been investigating my new dropbox earlier in the day, and the one file I'd put in it was the one I was missing. But now, this morning in the clear light of day, I thought I'd done a "Save as" to the Db, but maybe I drug and dropped it thinking it was only a Copy operation. My wife was at the computer when I came skulking in with my coffee... "uh hey Babe, everything going okay?" She happily said she'd just finished the taxes and all is well. None of her files were missing and I'm once again happily exploring and playing with my new computer.

So I'll mark it solved and never screw with the registry again. On my Seven system I had ERUNT file a new registry backup on every reboot, and had successfully tested its restore routine. But I would have never needed it, because Acronis bailed me out on a couple of occasions over the years, as well as making my old files accessible for assembling my new Win10 box. Now I have a little Seagate backup drive that I use and unplug when finished. I hope it's as trustworthy as Acronis turned out to be.

Y'all have a great day and thanks,
    Rusty

RknRusty, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to restore cCleaner registry backup - Similar Threads - Unable restore cCleaner

2. Unable restore Microsoft authenticator backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable restore Microsoft authenticator backup: I have been using the same backup on my Microsoft authenticator app for the past few months and every time it has restored successfully my accounts but this time it didn't because I changed my phone I don't know why this happened. I had turned on the cloud backup and it's...
  3. Unable restore Microsoft authenticator backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable restore Microsoft authenticator backup: I have been using the same backup on my Microsoft authenticator app for the past few months and every time it has restored successfully my accounts but this time it didn't because I changed my phone I don't know why this happened. I had turned on the cloud backup and it's...
  4. CCleaner auto-edits Windows Registry

CCleaner auto-edits Windows Registry: I created a .reg file to disable all the CCleaner bloatware. The problem is that the software is able to auto-edit the registry back to its original values after a while, even if I blocked it from accessing the internet in Windows Firewall. How is it possible? 175049
  5. Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting: Windows 10 (64Bit) If a PC's registry is backed up to a USB flash drive and after messing with the registry, for some reason, it won't boot normally. How do you restore the registry's backed up image? If I run a LiveCD (USB), that will only run with the portable Windows. The...
  6. Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting: Windows 10 (64Bit) If a PC's registry is backed up to a USB flash drive and after messing with the registry, for some reason, it won't boot normally. How do you restore the registry's backed up image? If I run a LiveCD (USB), that will only run with the portable Windows. The...
  7. Registry Backup & Restore

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Backup & Restore: After becoming disenchanted with the Windows Restore Point methodology, I’ve started taking manual registry backups using ‘RegEdit’. My query is that if I need to restore from one of these backups, does it completely replace the current contents of the registry, or, does...
  8. CCleaner keeps reverting registry keys

CCleaner keeps reverting registry keys: So, I created a reg file to remove all CCleaner bloatware automatically after installing it, but from time to time, I notice that CCleaner automatically reverts to the default settings. How is that possible that a software can change registry keys on its own while being...
  9. How to backup and restore the Windows Registry

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to backup and restore the Windows Registry: Quick Jump What is the registry? Why backup the registry? Wait, can’t I just copy all the files as I would usually do to backup files? Method 1: Backing up and restoring the registry using the Registry Editor (not recommended) Method 2: Backing up the registry using System...
  10. Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards: This could be one of the ridiculous post have ever made. But, I have been wondering what will happen if I backup all of the registry keys, reset Windows 10, and then restore the registry keys? Will it affect device driver? Will the device be bricked? 62996