Windows 10: Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin

Discus and support Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm fully up to date on W10 x64 and have just noticed that I can no longer (as in, I could a few days ago) right click on certain apps to run as admin.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dancedar, Aug 19, 2015.

1. dancedar Win User

Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin

I'm fully up to date on W10 x64 and have just noticed that I can no longer (as in, I could a few days ago) right click on certain apps to run as admin. I can't even use the 'menu' keyboard button to open the right click menu either, this does nothing.

I *can* do so on things like Wordpad and notepad, but 'admin-y' apps like Control Panel, Device Manager, and Administrative Tools show no menu when I right click, nothing appears or happens.

Any idea what this could be cause by and how I can get it back?

:)

dancedar, Aug 19, 2015
  2. DC813 Win User

Why do I have to right-click, run as admin EVERY time I want to run an executable file wince I installed windows 10?

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I have attached a few screen shots to show you what I am seeing. When I try to change my account type, I'm already listed as the Administrator. When I try the second option you mentioned, there also, I am the administrator
    already. I am the only user of this PC. I am using a Microsoft account. Not local. I am lost and don't know what else to do.

Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin [​IMG]

DC813, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Why do I have to right-click, run as admin EVERY time I want to run an executable file wince I installed windows 10?

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us with an update.

Try with the below mentioned steps to inherit the permissions and check if it helps.

• Open the properties of the main User Profile
      folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc.). For example: if your user profile name is
      computer then the navigation path will be C:\Users\computer.
      You can open the properties of a particular folder by Right-clicking
      on it and select Properties from context menu.
    • Go to the Security tab and click
      Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click
      Ok.

This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Aug 19, 2015
  4. danxmanly Win User

danxmanly, Aug 19, 2015
  5. dancedar Win User
    Thanks for the reply and link - unfortunately I've not third-part installations as it's a pretty clean system. None pink so I've none to disable and nothing looks out of sorts :/

Could you just confirm that you *can* press Win key, type device, then you're able to right click on Device Manager and get the menu to run as admin?

dancedar, Aug 19, 2015
  6. danxmanly Win User
    I cannot pull up any menus when right clicking on the Device Manager. Only thing I can do is to launch it. Which if you are logged in as the administrator, you'll be able to do that and make changes. I don't believe there is actually a need to have the menu pop up to run as administrator. A guest would not be able to launch device manager and make changes to the best of my knowledge.

danxmanly, Aug 19, 2015
  7. dancedar Win User
    Ok, thanks. Perhaps I recalling doing it but didn't actually do so before!

dancedar, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin - Similar Threads - Unable right click

2. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  3. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  4. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.: If I use the start menu search bar for items such as Notepad, CMD etc. and do right click run as administrator Nothing happens. If I simply double click then it launches ok, i have ticked the run as administrator in the file / shortcut properties, so double clicking does run...
  6. PowerShell(Admin) -right click start menu edit

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell(Admin) -right click start menu edit: Right click on either PowerShell shortcut in the Win10 20H2 start menu and both are user not the System32 for the (Admin). I couldn't find where these start menu right click shortcuts are stored so I have used the tutorial registry script merge to have the admin cmd on the...
  7. Right-click "Run as Administrator" in start menu, nothing happens

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right-click "Run as Administrator" in start menu, nothing happens: Hello folks I have been struggling with this issue for a while now, but it seems that right-clicking something in the start menu to run as administrator is not working, as absolutely nothing happens. I can launch things such as command prompt with no admin permissions just...
  8. Start Menu - Right-Click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Right-Click: Hello,In the "Start Menu" there are two types of icons - one is a square with a folder icon on it, the other is a square with the program's icon.Now 'folder icons' have no right-click sub-menu, the others with a program icon have a right-click sub-menu.In the sub-items of a...
  9. Right click Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click Start Menu: Last few insider builds (not necessarily because of it) Most of items in Start menu's just don't do anything. Command prompt/, Disk management, Device manager, Task manager etc. Other shortcuts for them work, each one when started from anywhere else works. I made links for...
  10. Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error: I have a problem that seems (to me at least) to be quite common as well as annoying when it happens because you don't know when it started occurring and have no way to fix it, which is why I am finally asking after all these years. The problem is, when typing Command...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to right click run as admin

2. windows 10 1083 right click start button