Windows 10: Unable to rollback W10 to W7 even though windows.old is on C:\

Discus and support Unable to rollback W10 to W7 even though windows.old is on C:\ in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I try to rollback W10 to W7 I get the message "Sorry, you can't go back. Files we need were removed." I have removed nothing and the 3 files I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by philbert048, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Unable to rollback W10 to W7 even though windows.old is on C:\

When I try to rollback W10 to W7 I get the message "Sorry, you can't go back. Files we need were removed." I have removed nothing and the 3 files I've found in forums that are needed, Windows.old; $windows.-BT; and $windows.-SW are on my C:\ drive and their properties show them to be complete. What else do I need?

:)

philbert048, Oct 26, 2015
  2. vexorg Win User

Win7 installation dvd? just back up your files and start afresh, it could be a mess if you go back.

vexorg, Oct 26, 2015
  3. All I have is an old W7 repair disk

4. JohnC Win User

Unable to rollback W10 to W7 even though windows.old is on C:\

Was it more that 30 days since you installed windows 10? If it was that would explain why you cannot roll back. This is a link to the sister site Seven Forums. Use the tutorial to burn a new installation disk. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...load-tool.html . You will need your product key also. Copy your personal files so they don't disappear when you clean install.

The other thing you could try is a repair/ in place upgrade of windows 10. This is from the tutorial forum: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade . Don't know why you wanted to roll back, but if it was because of things not working, this might help.

JohnC, Oct 26, 2015
  5. I installed W10 yesterday. I don't like W10's instance on my setting up user accounts, etc., nor do I care for them inserting advertising (solitaire game over screen, among others). In the dozens of promo pop-ups I endured before finally deciding to try W10, it was repeated many times that if I didn't like it, I could return to "what I have now". It turns out that I can't return, through no fault of my own, which, in my opinion, constitutes false advertising. I only want MS to keep their promise. Perhaps the solution is to dump Windows and switch to Mac.

6. Joergi Win User
    You are right with most you are saying. Anyway, even if you believe that what Microsoft does is false advertising (Microsoft's intention will not be to bring people back to their old OS and also they are not responsible for every possible error), this won't bring back your old system.

If the PC came with Windows 7 preinstalled, then it would be a major help, if you got the repair discs, which the manufacturer gave to you. They will most likely contain advert junk again, but on the plus site: You have all the drivers, Windows will be activated without trouble and it will be a clean installation and not some broken upgrade/downgrade stuff.

Joergi, Oct 26, 2015
  7. The problem's solution isn't for me to have to rebuild my system, it's for MS to get it right for a change. The necessary files are on my main drive, but apparently rollback doesn't recognize them. MS didn't promise "broken upgrade/downgrade stuff" in their promotions, they said I could go back to where I was before I upgraded. "Sorry" doesn't cut it. If MS doesn't stand behind their advertising claims it still constitutes false advertising, regardless of their intent at the time the ad was put out there.

8. Joergi Win User

You are annoyed. We know that. Do you want a solution for your broken system? Or did you only want to say how annoyed you are?

Joergi, Oct 26, 2015
  9. Yes, I am annoyed, and yes I do want to get it fixed. I just don't want to rebuild 7 yrs. of accumulated data when I was told I wouldn't have to. The stuff is on my computer (the windows.old file is over 27GB) but I can't access it without rollback working. It is MS's responsibility to come up with a fix and it's places like this forum that could eventually force them to step up to the plate. If I have to rebuild my system, it won't be in Windows.

10. JohnC Win User
    The easiest method is to simply go back to your last full backup.

JohnC, Oct 26, 2015
  11. Joergi Win User
    I think it is Microsoft's fault if he has none. *Sad

Joergi, Oct 26, 2015
  12. Joergi Win User
    I am not sure about that. However, even if I said: "Yes, Microsoft is responsible for every single, inappropriate change, which a user may have done in several years and which then breaks a functionaility", even if I said that, it still won't fix your system.

So what is it that you suddenly don't like about Windows 10?
    Many of the advertisement features in Windows 10 can be disabled - I do not like adverts myself and I see exactly none. Not a single one.
    For the Solitaire game: There are several such games available from the Windows Store, most of them for free. You also can use the Solitaire game, which came with older versions of Windows. The Solitaire app being annoying is no reason to go back.

Joergi, Oct 26, 2015
  13. JohnC Win User

JohnC, Oct 26, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to rollback W10 to W7 even though windows.old is on C:\ - Similar Threads - Unable rollback W10

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. When I switched from W7 to W10 it disappeared my desktop photo, even though the placeholder...

in Windows 10 Customization
    When I switched from W7 to W10 it disappeared my desktop photo, even though the placeholder...: I had a single photo from a set of three that were part of W7 themes, that I used as my desktop for years; when I finally knuckled under and changed to W10, the placeholder for the original three-photo theme, as well as the one photo from it that I set up as a single theme,...
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  9. Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box?: Hi all, just joined up. I don't use W10 myself yet but I'm about to set up an all-in-one PC for an elderly relative. She's a great fan of many old games, like Bejeweled, Flipwords, Text Twist, Luxor etc, and owns 20 or 30. But I'm beginning to wonder if old software...
  10. W7 good though it is seems REALLY SLOW after latest W10 builds

in Windows 10 Support
    W7 good though it is seems REALLY SLOW after latest W10 builds: Hi there I have nothing against W7 -- probably the best OS Ms has produced -- however is it just a "perceptional thing" or is it really SLOW compared to W10 - especially the latest builds. W7 seems to take an age to boot up and start while W10 seems to be ready almost...