Windows 10: Unable to Run Adobe XI App; Shutting Itself Down

Discus and support Unable to Run Adobe XI App; Shutting Itself Down in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi: I am experiencing a problem with Adobe XI, whereby the app shuts itself down after about ten seconds, or less. This happens if I click the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by VinceB, Jun 19, 2020.

1. VinceB Win User

Unable to Run Adobe XI App; Shutting Itself Down

Hi:

I am experiencing a problem with Adobe XI, whereby the app shuts itself down after about ten seconds, or less. This happens if I click the desktop Adobe XI shortcut as well as when I attempt to load an existing PDF file via File Manager. *Mad Adobe Reader does not have this problem.

Rebooting/Cold Startup of my PC did not help.

I ran Task Manager-Processes; but to me things appear normally during the approximate ten-second interval.

FWIW, a newer version of Microsoft Edge ( Microsoft Edge is up to date.Version 83.0.478.54 (Official build) (64-bit) )
    was (automagically) installed a couple of days ago. That is the only recent software change that I am aware of.

I am presently concerned with regaining use of the Adobe XI app.
    Can anyone help me to regain the Adobe XI app?

Thanks for reading this. Be well and stay safe.

:)

VinceB, Jun 19, 2020

2. Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro not listed under set default program

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As you are unable to set Adobe Acrobat as default program from settings, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Navigate to the file which you want to open using Adobe Acrobat.
    • Right click on the file and select Open with and click on
      choose another app
    • Check if Adobe Acrobat is listed in the programs list.
    • If not then click on Look for another app on this PC.
    • Navigate to the location where Adobe Acrobat is installed and select the same.
    • Check the box for Always use this app to open files and click on
      OK.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 19, 2020
  3. My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Jun 19, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

MS Edge overpowering Adobe

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in settings adobe as your default app to access PDF files, we will help you with this issue.

Step 1: I suggest you to download and install the Adobe Acrobat Reader from the website:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

(Follow the steps 1, 2, & 3)

Step 2: After you install the application, follow the below to set it as a default application to open .pdf files.

• Right click on any of the PDF files, click on Open with option.
    • If you don't find Adobe Acrobat Reader, click on More apps
      under Other options
    • After selecting the application, place a check mark on Always use this app to open .pdf files
      and click on Ok
    Try the below steps and check if the same issue occurs again.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Arul_D, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to Run Adobe XI App; Shutting Itself Down - Similar Threads - Unable Run Adobe

2. WINDOWS SHUTS ITSELF DOWN!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS SHUTS ITSELF DOWN!: For the last several months and with increasing frequency, my up-to-date windows 10 shuts itself down. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or not doing and it occurs from severa times each day to more than a half dozen times per day. There are no error messages but occassionally...
  3. WINDOWS SHUTS ITSELF DOWN!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS SHUTS ITSELF DOWN!: For the last several months and with increasing frequency, my up-to-date windows 10 shuts itself down. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or not doing and it occurs from severa times each day to more than a half dozen times per day. There are no error messages but occassionally...
  4. WINDOWS SHUTS ITSELF DOWN!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop shuts down by itself.

Laptop shuts down by itself.: It's been a day now that I have been getting this problem.. My laptop suddenly, out of nowhere decides to shut down after like 45 mins of usage. I thought it is because of overheating though I do not do any heavy gaming or work. The fan is functioning properly I tried...
  6. Adobe Acrobat XI Pro

Adobe Acrobat XI Pro: Why has Adobe Acrobat XI Pro stopped working in Windows 10 has been fine up until a month ago !! All of the updates seem to impact in different ways and want a fix from Microsoft or replacement software....
  7. Laptop shuts down by itself.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down by itself.: My laptop shuts itself down as soon as left idle for a short amount of time. Have to press power button for a long time before screen becomes alive again and then message appears in upper left hand corner that system did not shut down cleanly. It then goes through some...
  8. at shut down it displays 1 app is running

at shut down it displays 1 app is running: How do I find what app is running when I shut down? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/at-shut-down-it-displays-1-app-is-running/cdc01465-0774-4538-9c85-5c846540cdbe
  9. Unable to shut down.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to shut down.: My laptop pc with Windows 10 Pro has decided that when given the order to shut down it will do so, but then after 5 seconds or perhaps up to 15 minutes later it will reboot. Something is telling it to restart. What??? I have already done this to try to stop it: In the...
  10. Adobe Reader XI/Acrobat XI end of support 15th Oct 2017

in Windows 10 News
    Adobe Reader XI/Acrobat XI end of support 15th Oct 2017: As outlined in the Adobe Support Lifecycle Policy, Adobe provides five years of product support from the general availability date of Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader. In line with that policy, support for Adobe Acrobat 11.x and Adobe Reader 11.x will end on October 15, 2017....