Windows 10: Unable to "Run As Administrator" on an Admin account.

Discus and support Unable to "Run As Administrator" on an Admin account. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Unable to "Run As Administrator" on anAdmin account. Is this a feature that is disabled with the Windows Insider preview releases? If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by John Anthony Oliver, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Unable to "Run As Administrator" on an Admin account.

Hi everyone,

Unable to "Run As Administrator" on anAdmin account.

Is this a feature that is disabled with the Windows Insider preview releases?

If so, is there a tweak like a registry key that will reenable this please?

I'm not really wanting to go back to theslow update route but I thought that I may have to.

If so I may try the fast update route via virtualisation.

I've not got a really old restore point either.
    I'd prefer to keep all of my programs and files.

Best regards,

John.

:)

John Anthony Oliver, Oct 22, 2020
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Unable to access Admin account.

Hi Jedigal.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to enter Safe Mode and enable built-in administrator and check.

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select
      Safe mode and then press Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press
      CTRL + Shift + ESC.

• Click File >Run New Task.

• Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges

• Type CMD.

• Type the following command and hit
      Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    6. Now log off from the current user and login to the built-in administrator account from the login screen.

Step 3: Create a new user account with the built-in admin account.

Create a new user account

Add or remove accounts on your PC

After creating new user account, press Windows key, type
    Mange your account
    and hit Enter. Click on Family
    and other users and select the newly created account. Now change the account type to
    Administrator.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type
    net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Oct 22, 2020
  4. Unable to "Run As Administrator" on an Admin account.

OSK popping up when software Run As Admin

Hi,

We are sorry that the issue still persists.

I suggest you to check if the issue persists in the Built-in Administrator account
    (hidden administrator account). To enable the account, follow the steps below:

• Right Click on Start and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    • Accept the UAC prompt if required.
    • Type “net user administrator /active:yes” (without quotes).

Once you have enabled the account, you will see it listed in the user accounts control panel applet. Login to the account and check for status.

To disable the built-in Administrator account, follow the steps provided above and in step 3 type the command line provided below:

“net user administrator /active:yes” (without quotes).

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Unable to "Run As Administrator" on an Admin account.

1. Unable to "Run As Administrator" on an Admin account. - Similar Threads - Unable Run Administrator

2. Unable to run command as administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to run command as administrator: On my kid's computer, I am the administrator. But when I am logged in as my kid, then attempt to run something as an administrator, I get a dialog box like that shown below. It says, "To continue enter admin username and password". But as you can see, there is no way to...
  3. Unable to run command as administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to run command as administrator: On my kid's computer, I am the administrator. But when I am logged in as my kid, then attempt to run something as an administrator, I get a dialog box like that shown below. It says, "To continue enter admin username and password". But as you can see, there is no way to...
  4. If I run my apps as the administrator, will it affect the admin account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    If I run my apps as the administrator, will it affect the admin account?: Hey, I have 2 users in my dad's laptop which is Windows 10 btw the first is obviously my dad's and the 2nd one is mine. My dad is the administrator. Sometimes I need to run files and apps AS THE ADMINISTRATOR. I just wanna ask that if I run MY apps and files as the...
  5. Help with Admin/Administrator accounts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Admin/Administrator accounts: It there any way to either add more security to your user account (third party or not) or configure some settings so another administrator cannot delete my profile without a password or something else? Not in the greatest household right now and I am constantly threatened...
  6. Unable to run Programs as Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to run Programs as Administrator: I have recently noticed that, although I am shown as Administrator in my Profile and "netplwiz" confirms this, I am unable to run Programs as Administrator. They all open and run OK on double click. Anyone know what might be causing this? Cheers. Ken...
  7. Unable to "Run as Administrator"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to "Run as Administrator": I'm trying to update a Lenovo laptop that is currently running 1803. Last update was in April 2018. It will be used to do taxes for AARP. My problem is that all the update are failing with error 0x8007002. I'm unable to stop the "Windows Update" service. I get a User...
  8. Unable to run apps as administrator

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to run apps as administrator: I am unable to run apps as administrator, even though my user is an administrator user. I've tried everything for four days now and when I've got close to something working, there comes a new issue. So after I right click and click the "Run as administrator" button, it...
  9. Hidden Administrator account, no backup admin

Hidden Administrator account, no backup admin: I foolishly hid my only administrator account using the registry editor and I can't do anything with the secondary account that I have on the computer. I went to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon Created a new key...
  10. Running as a local Admin account

Running as a local Admin account: I am running Windows 10, currently running as a local Admin account and I am the only one using the machine. However, I am thinking to run as a Limited User instead by creating another User account as making that as an Admin account. Couple of questions though. 1). My...