Windows 10: Unable to run windows update or troubleshooter or sfc scannow OR Windows recovery

Discus and support Unable to run windows update or troubleshooter or sfc scannow OR Windows recovery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been having this problem ever since I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I think the reasoning is because I stopped the windows update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by prohung1, Dec 13, 2018.

1. prohung1 Win User

Unable to run windows update or troubleshooter or sfc scannow OR Windows recovery

I have been having this problem ever since I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I think the reasoning is because I stopped the windows update for a day to transfer files and render the project that I am working on. The PC works normally, I can move files normally but I can't run Windows update, I can't run the Windows troubleshooter to troubleshoot the update. I tried sfc /scannow but it said I did not have permission even though I am the only user and before you ask, yes, I do have permission as an admin. I also tried resetting the PC using the Windows 10 Recovery feature, it stops at 8% and says something had gone wrong with the operation or something along those lines. I have also tried downloading the Windows Update Assistant and that didn't work either. Do I have to do a clean reinstall on windows or is there a way fix this without moving all my files all over again?

:)

prohung1, Dec 13, 2018

2. Windows 8 Clubhouse

Tried this doing every step on that webpage but not when the PC boots, it automatically goes into windows 8 without giving me the option to pick the OS. anything special I need to do?

brandonwh64, Dec 13, 2018
  3. Steve C Win User
    SFC /SCANNOW Errors After Update

I've just updated a Windows 8.1 Pro PC to Windows 10 using the Techbench ISO which updated without any problems. However, I've just run sfc /scannow and it found errors it could not repair. I have managed to get sfc /scannow to run without errors - see what I did below:

1. Ran sfc /scannow which showed error "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."
    2. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth which reported "The component store is repairable."
    3. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which failed with Error: 0x800f081f "The source files could not be found.Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."
    4. Mounted the W10 Techbench ISO and ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess which reported successfully "The restore operation completed successfully."
    5. Ran sfc /scannow wich completed successfully with report "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."

Please advise:
    1. Why would sfc /scannow fail on a newly updated installation which ran sfc /scannow error free immediately before the upgrade?
    2. Why did I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO at step 4 above for Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to work and will I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO every time I need to run this Dism command?
    3. How can I configure my PC so it has the correct install.wim file for the Dism command to work properly?

Steve C, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Unable to run windows update or troubleshooter or sfc scannow OR Windows recovery

SFC /SCANNOW Errors After Update

1. Why would sfc /scannow fail on a newly updated installation ...
      In addition to what essenbe said .... there is a known issue re: opencl.dll - it's been around for a while. If it is opencl.dll (follow SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums), the error can be ignored.
    2. Why did I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO ...
      I'm not sure, but it seems to indicate that the Component Store cannot be found (resolved). I think this would cripple your system though instead of only showing up in DISM.
      Try the Windows Update Troubleshooter (TS) in Control Panel - then try https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...troubleshooter (I'm not sure if they are the same, but why would MS offer a diag cab separate from the built-in TS?

Please copy the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS (the entire folder) into a compressed folder on your desktop and attach the zip folder to a post. If it is too large, copy just the CBS.log file into a compressed folder and attach that.
    3. How can I configure my PC so it has the correct install.wim ...
      see # 2

Slartybart, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

Unable to run windows update or troubleshooter or sfc scannow OR Windows recovery

1. Unable to run windows update or troubleshooter or sfc scannow OR Windows recovery - Similar Threads - Unable run update

2. sfc\scannow was just run.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc\scannow was just run.: i ran sfc /scannow after it say windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them for online Repairs details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\logs\CBS\CBS.logs. for example c:\windowns\logs\CBS.log for oflinerapirs details are...
  3. sfc\scannow was just run.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc\scannow was just run.: i ran sfc /scannow after it say windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them for online Repairs details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\logs\CBS\CBS.logs. for example c:\windowns\logs\CBS.log for oflinerapirs details are...
  4. Cannot run sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot run sfc /scannow: Hi,Believing my Windows installation had some missing or corrupted files, I tried to run sfc /scannow in my command prompt. But I got the error message: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.I already tried to:- Run the command prompt as...
  5. Cannot run sfc /scannow

Cannot run sfc /scannow: Hi,Believing my Windows installation had some missing or corrupted files, I tried to run sfc /scannow in my command prompt. But I got the error message: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.I already tried to:- Run the command prompt as...
  6. Cannot run sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. cannot run sfc / scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cannot run sfc / scannow: In cmd prompt I get this message when attempting to run sfc/scannow:"you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use sfc/scannnow"How do I resolve this?...
  8. cannot run sfc / scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot run sfc / scannow: In cmd prompt I get this message when attempting to run sfc/scannow:"you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use sfc/scannnow"How do I resolve this?...
  9. cannot run sfc / scannow

10. Cannot run SFC/scannow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot run SFC/scannow: Dear all, Tried all sorts of remedies for above problem, nothing seems to work. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-run-sfcscannow/85432df1-6503-4753-bdd6-932c282071ca

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to run windows troubleshooter

2. cant run windows update troubleshooter

3. unable to run troubleshooter

4. unable to run window update