Windows 10: Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update

Discus and support Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My PC was sitting on 1803 for a long time and I did the update recently as that was nearing end of support. Intially it was updated to 1903 but as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/voracread, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update

My PC was sitting on 1803 for a long time and I did the update recently as that was nearing end of support. Intially it was updated to 1903 but as the next update was available I went for it without much delay.

Now I am seeing that any USB drive plugged in cannot be safely removed. Even if no program is accessing it.

I have updated Avast and Comodo Firewall & Home Intrusion (safe mode) running. I do not plug in random USB drives.

submitted by /u/voracread
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/voracread, Nov 20, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Nov 20, 2019
  3. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

....no drives listed in Hardware List.

When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either)

First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar...

Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update [​IMG]

.. and found it was already on

Next I tried using the solution in this post...

Solved No safely remove icon in tray any more after Windows 10 Anniversary up - Windows 10 Forums

...making a shortcut from "rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", but when I run the shortcut, there are no devices listed...

Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update [​IMG]

(in this screenshot, you can see two USB drives in the Explorer window in the BG but nothing listed in the panel. )

NOTE: They are listed in Disk Management and in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, and they function just fine..
    I think the Safely Remove Hardware icon is not appearing because despite being detected and showing in Explorer, Device Manager and Disk Management, its not being listed in this panel for some reason.

NOTE2: I recently installed a new motherboard.

ASUS B150M-A
    CPU Intel Core i5 - 6500 (3.2 GHz)
    Mem 4096 MB (DDR4 - 2133)

I am 100% sure it was working before that, but I cannot say for sure if it was still working after that.
    A friend suggested that it might be a setting in BIOS, but I have looked through it and nothing stands out.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ETA: this is not the system listed in my System Specs page. That is another computer which I still have.

smartcooky, Nov 20, 2019
  4. Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update

Safe removal of usb drive

Windows 10 has done away with the concept of safe removal like earlier versions of Windows. You need not follow any particular process unlike earlier.

Simply detach your USB drive. Forget about any steps to be followed.

Vijay_Verma, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update

1. Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update - Similar Threads - Unable safely remove

2. SAFELY REMOVE USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SAFELY REMOVE USB: THIS PROBLEM STARTED RECENTLY.WHENEVER I PLUG IN MY HARDDISK OR USB OR PENDRIVES THE SAFELY REMOVE OPTION IS AVAILABLE BUT IT IS NOT ACTIVE.I MEAN TO SAY I AM UNABLE TO USE SAFELY REMOVE USB.HAS ANY ONE FACED THIS PROBLEM.KINDLY GIVE ME THE SOLUTION....
  3. Safely Remove USB

Safely Remove USB: Hi Folks, I have a 500 GB WD HDD attached to my Win 10 Laptop. I tried to Safely Remove it 5 times but was still in use. I restarted my PC where I knew I could remove it safely, but I didn't. On restarting with it still connected, I was still unable to remove it safely. Is...
  4. Safely Remove USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely Remove USB: Hi Folks, I have a 500 GB WD HDD attached to my Win 10 Laptop. I tried to Safely Remove it 5 times but was still in use. I restarted my PC where I knew I could remove it safely, but I didn't. On restarting with it still connected, I was still unable to remove it safely. Is...
  5. "Safe to remove hardware" notification for USB drive missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Safe to remove hardware" notification for USB drive missing: The "Safe to remove hardware" notification for USB drive is now missing. This will corrupt the drive if it does not come back. How do I get it come back?...
  6. USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.: Very frustrating. My portable hard drive won't safely remove but other thumb drives do remove safely. Tried all sorts of tips, non work so far. The drives that can't be removed show up and can be used but the activity light on the drive just constantly pulsates in a rhythm,...
  7. USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.: Very frustrating. My portable hard drive won't safely remove but other thumb drives do remove safely. Tried all sorts of tips, non work so far. The drives that can't be removed show up and can be used but the activity light on the drive just constantly pulsates in a rhythm,...
  8. Safe removal of usb drive

Safe removal of usb drive: How do you safely remove usb drive from computer on Window 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/safe-removal-of-usb-drive/8e1ea4eb-bfe9-4e58-866a-292b3c94ac03
  9. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and: ....no drives listed in Hardware List. When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either) First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar... [img]...
  10. Safely Remove usb

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely Remove usb: Hi All All's good so far with Windows 10 upgrade, after coming here not been able to activate Windows but thanks to this site I was able to find a resolution, clicking like mad on the Activate button done the trick sounds weird but it worked *Biggrin but one thing that I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. safely eject windows 1909

2. safely remove hardware windows 10 build 1909