Windows 10: Unable to save or open file after updating to Windows 10 1809

Discus and support Unable to save or open file after updating to Windows 10 1809 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After updating to 1809 I could no longer open dialog to open/save files in MS Word, PDF Shaper (a pdf managing program) nor save in NAPS2 scanning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobertoFraile1, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Unable to save or open file after updating to Windows 10 1809

After updating to 1809 I could no longer open dialog to open/save files in MS Word, PDF Shaper (a pdf managing program) nor save in NAPS2 scanning software. Contacted MS support who passed on to tech; maker of PDF Shaper indicates "it's known problem with 1809 build, it blocks Open and Save dialogs in many software products, even in MS Office".

I uninstalled and then reinstalled Pdfshaper, first opening worked fine, after a sleep period no longer worked, nor after reboot. freeware NAPS2, scans but does not open dialog to save files. Same with MS Word.

I am back to 1803 and all works fine.

Any one has had similar problem?, knows of a fix?, any suggestion.

***Original title: windows 10 1809 software do not open or save dialogs***

:)

RobertoFraile1, Nov 18, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 18, 2018
  3. unable to save a file in Windows 10

Hi,

I realize that you are unable to save a file. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

• Have you installed all the pending updates on the PC?

Suggest you to save a file in notepad to test if that helps.

Close all open windows and restart the PC to login to another user account to test if that helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Nov 18, 2018
  4. Unable to save or open file after updating to Windows 10 1809

Is it time for Windows 10 already?

For those that don't have the tray notification.

If you don’t think any of these conditions apply to you, and you’re still not seeing the icon, you can also try running the solution below, which will verify your device meets all the prerequisites and then turn on the Get Windows 10 app:

• Open Notepad
    • Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:
    REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx

if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

:CompatCheckRunning

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready

if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning

:RunGWX

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

• Click File, and then Save As
    • In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd

• Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)

• Select the folder you would like to save the file to.For this example, let’s choose to save the file to the C:/Temp folder.Then click Save.

• Open an elevated command prompt.(From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and selectRun as administrator.)

• Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6.In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:

C:/Temp/ReserveWin10.cmd
    The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10 – 30 minutes to run, during which the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running. Please be patient.

If the script is failing in an infinite loop, then you don’t have the necessary prerequisite Windows Updates. Besides requiring Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you must also have installed:

For Windows 7 SP1:

KB3035583

KB2952664

For Windows 8.1 Update:

KB3035583

KB2976978

ThE_MaD_ShOt, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

Unable to save or open file after updating to Windows 10 1809

1. Unable to save or open file after updating to Windows 10 1809 - Similar Threads - Unable save open

2. Windows 10 version 1809 Unable to update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 version 1809 Unable to update: Hello, I've had this Lenovo laptop which was not updated itself since the 2020 when it was bought. Turns out i was updating it, only for all changed to be reverted or updates being stuck on 0. I have attempted to fix the issue by performing a complete factory reset, yet...
  3. Unable to open files saved on my flashdrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open files saved on my flashdrive: I need someone to walk me through how I may open files that I saved on my flashdrive. I was using a Dell laptop and now I have a Lenovo. I just recently upgraded to Windows 10, please help....
  4. Unable to Save/Save As/Open in Notepad (Windows 10 pro)

Unable to Save/Save As/Open in Notepad (Windows 10 pro): As of 11/23/19 I have been unable to save anything I type/create in Notepad. When I click on Save As the notepad I was working on just closes out and disappears, almost as if I had opened Notepad, clicked the red X and it goes away. Normally when you click Save As a box...
  5. Unable to open PDF files after updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to open PDF files after updates: Received recent updates and now when I try to open a PDF, I get two error messages: [ATTACH] when I click OK, get this message [ATTACH] HOWEVER, when I forward PDF to my gmail account and open while in google/gmail, file opens OK, no error message. what's wrong?...
  6. Windows 10 unable to save files

Windows 10 unable to save files: My Windows 10 doesn't want to save files, either new Word documents, bank downloads into quicken or newly created power-point. Unable to Save. File Not Found when I try "save as" Can anyone help?...
  7. Steam Games not saving after update 1809

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam Games not saving after update 1809: I am trying to play Borderlands 2 on the Surface Book 2 with windows 10 on firmware 1809 with automatic updates on. When I progress through the game and save it and quit, the game does not save any of the progress i just made. I have tried unticking "read only" and i have...
  8. Open, Save dialogs not working after 1809 update.

Open, Save dialogs not working after 1809 update.: This is not so much a question as an observation to a previous question that went unanswered. I use high contrast due to eye problems. After Windows updated to build 1809 I could no longer open file dialog to open file location and if I open a document, could not open dialog...
  9. windows 10 1809 software do not open or save dialogs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 1809 software do not open or save dialogs: After updating to 1809 I could no longer open dialog to open/save files in MS Word, PDF Shaper (a pdf managing program) nor save in NAPS2 scanning software. Contacted MS support who passed on to tech; maker of PDF Shaper indicates "it's known problem with 1809 build, it...
  10. cannot save word files after 1809 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot save word files after 1809 update: my computer has just updated to 1809. now it seems i cannot save any files in Word. i am using Word 2013... Any ideas what i can do? Thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to activate preinstalled WORD after updating to v. 1809

2. unable to read pdfs since 1809 windows 10

3. unable to save file in file in windows 10 locallay

4. unable to save opened file,
  5. unable to use external HDD after update windows 10 1809,
  6. after microsoft reinstalled windows a new text document occurred I cant open it It is a notepad file,
  7. windows 10 unable to save files,
  8. word cannot save after update 1809,
  9. after window update unable to open notepad,
  10. MS word unable to save after update to Windows 10 version 1809,
  11. unable to open file of .mav extension in notpad in win 10 1803,
  12. windows 10 unable to save file cant find file error