Windows 10: unable to search on windows 10

Discus and support unable to search on windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; for the past month i have been unable to search windows. either in the search bar or inside a windows folder. what could be causing this? tia 165498 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by reece86, Sep 30, 2020.

1. reece86 Win User

unable to search on windows 10

for the past month i have been unable to search windows. either in the search bar or inside a windows folder. what could be causing this? tia

:)

reece86, Sep 30, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 30, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. unable to search on windows 10

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

unable to search on windows 10

1. unable to search on windows 10 - Similar Threads - unable search

2. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...
  3. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...
  4. Windows search bar unable to find settings, despite working for finding other items like...

in Cortana
    Windows search bar unable to find settings, despite working for finding other items like...: Description: I'm encountering an issue with the search functionality on my Windows 10 Home laptop. Specifically, I'm unable to use the search bar in the Start menu to find Windows settings, although it continues to work for other items such as files and applications.I can...
  5. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  6. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  7. How to fix unable to type in Windows Search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix unable to type in Windows Search?: After attempting to install the new Cumulating Update Preview for 2024 KB5034204, It failed and restarted my computer. But after coming back, I ran into multiple errors such as not being able to type in the windows search bar or right clicking an app on my taskbar. I don't...
  8. How to fix unable to type in Windows Search?

How to fix unable to type in Windows Search?: After attempting to install the new Cumulating Update Preview for 2024 KB5034204, It failed and restarted my computer. But after coming back, I ran into multiple errors such as not being able to type in the windows search bar or right clicking an app on my taskbar. I don't...
  9. Unable to use the folder or desktop Search bar for an item

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use the folder or desktop Search bar for an item: The Window Start Search bar is not the issue. It is the search bar that is on the window for documents and desktop folders, or external hard drive folders. The search bar is useless oftentimes not even allowing you to type within it. There are no error messages or any other...
  10. Unable to use the folder or desktop Search bar for an item

Unable to use the folder or desktop Search bar for an item: The Window Start Search bar is not the issue. It is the search bar that is on the window for documents and desktop folders, or external hard drive folders. The search bar is useless oftentimes not even allowing you to type within it. There are no error messages or any other...