Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; *Moved the thread* Hello, A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vatsan, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Vatsan Win User

*Moved the thread*

Hello,

A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After that today I open my laptop and I have a black screen. I move my touchpad thinking I'm going to get to the login screen but still nothing happens. I hit the power button on my laptop to shut down and it does that. I turn on my computer I'm able to get to the login screen. I put my password then I see a black screen. I have IObit Advanced SystemCare so in the corner that's what I see but the rest is black. I wait for a while nothing happens then shut off the pc. Same thing happened and then I think at the third or fourth time I turn on my computer then go to the living room and come back and it's fixed. I play Minecraft so I was doing that. I also have a touchpad issue where when I hold the keys down I can't move my mouse but I already know the solution for that and so when I go to click the start button nothing happens. I was confused and thought maybe it was just slower than normal. I clicked the search button; nothing happened. I then search up on the web "unable to click start button on windows 10" and I find a post with a solution but wasn't really for me:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator
      • Right click Start button
      • Choose Command prompt (Admin)
      • Key in Powershell in the black window and hit Enter
    • Paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enterkey:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
    • When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working. If not, this solution won’t apply to you, unfortunately.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This didn't actually work I have my cmd open still and nothing has happened. Anything else that can resolve this issue? Any help is appreciated!

:)

Vatsan, Aug 7, 2015
  2. ed4444 Win User

Windows 8.1 home upgrade to 10 start button and windows key

After upgrading my Windows 8.1 home machine to Windows 10, I found that the Windows key doesn't work anymore and I am unable to get the Windows tiles to appear as the desktop. Clicking on the Windows start key does nothing. It will show options if I
    right click it.

ed4444, Aug 7, 2015
  3. RonBridgefarmer Win User
    Start Menu not working after upgrade

After the last upgrade on w10 I have been unable to click and open the start button, the search bar, or icons like my wifi. I can right click and they will open, but nothing happens with a left click.

Problem after last upgrade- Original Title

RonBridgefarmer, Aug 7, 2015
  4. seagula Win User

seagula, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Vatsan Win User
    But then wouldn't I be losing everything I have on my current account??

Vatsan, Aug 7, 2015
  6. seagula Win User
    No it just makes a new user that has a cleaner startup process, you can always go back in explorer and copy your user files back over to the new account.

seagula, Aug 7, 2015
  7. Vatsan Win User
    Ok, how can I make a new user? And will it be the new admin?

Vatsan, Aug 7, 2015
  8. cameos Win User

I had this problem several days ago and I tried the "Get-AppXPackage" command you mentioned in your first post and it did fix the issue.

From the source I found the command, the poster also recommended that:
    1. try to run the command several times if you see some errors (in red color);
    2. reboot after the command finishes.

cameos, Aug 7, 2015
  9. Vatsan Win User
    I've just done this but now how exactly do I switch to the other user?

Vatsan, Aug 7, 2015
  10. Vatsan Win User
    It never did finish, or I wasn't sure when it did.

Vatsan, Aug 7, 2015
  11. seagula Win User
    Different user just press windows key + l to lock it then click on other user and try to login

seagula, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Vatsan Win User
    Yeah I found out a way by right-clicking the windows button and signing out. I have a question, I literally moved everything in the User folder for this user to the other user folder. Is it safe to delete this user now? Do I need to move the hidden folders too?

Vatsan, Aug 7, 2015
  13. Vatsan Win User

I just wanna make an update. I actually transfered everything back to the original admin account because I don't like the idea of having 2 accounts and deleting the original admin account anyway. I'll look for help on other forums maybe or hopefully wait for some kind of update as I know that there's a lot of other people who have this problem.

Vatsan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Unable search click

1. Unable to find files with search facility on Window 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to find files with search facility on Window 10: I have problems using the search facility on Windows 10. I know this is increadibly basic stuff, but I've just got fed up with searching through the 'family tree' type network of stored files. Even files that I have saved just a few months ago never appear in searches,...
  2. win 10 unable to search for new items (photos and vids) from Android

in Windows 10 Support
    win 10 unable to search for new items (photos and vids) from Android: connecting my Android mobile devices with USB to my desktop PC running Windows 10, the default application appears and tries to search for new items (photos and vids) but it never finds out any items from my Android devices but it quickly finds out all the items if it's an...
  3. Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update: I am pretty stumped. Since the latest feature update on my laptop only ( my other computer is ok) I cannot use the search function in the start menu I start typing and it freezes and I cannot click any of the search results the only way I can open software is my manually...
  4. Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home: Hello, A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After that today I open my laptop and I have a black screen. I move my touchpad thinking I'm going to get to the login screen but still nothing happens. I...
  5. Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to type in W10 Cortana Search or Settings since recent updates: Ever since I allowed a new set of Windows 10 updates to execute and restart a day or so ago, I have found that I can no longer use the search facility (Win-S), and search for specific items in Settings (Win -I), because as I type on those windows, no text appears. *Mad I...
  6. Unable to type text in any of start (search func)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to type text in any of start (search func): As mentioned in title, I was unable to type in the start (press start > press any key to search) Unable to type wifi password too (but can paste) > essentially the wifi passcode textbox that popups up from taskbar I have tried many well-known antiviruses, malwarebytes etc....
  7. Unable to click Start and Cortana search buttons

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to click Start and Cortana search buttons: Hi, I was hoping I can get some advise here. Previously I posted it on Technet but no one answer. I have just upgraded 50 and more of my users to Windows 10 build 10586, and I realize that some of their search and Windows button are not responding when click. Steps...