Windows 10: Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer

Discus and support Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thumpersd, Aug 28, 2020.

1. thumpersd Win User

Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer

Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type anything into the search textbox in File Explorer.

In File Explorer, sometimes I'm able to type but it only allows me to insert 1 character. If I keep typing, the character will be replaced by what I typed. Nothing happens when i hit enter.

Things I have tried:
    1) Restarting
    2) Windows search troubleshooter
    3) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    4) SFC /scannow

:)

thumpersd, Aug 28, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 28, 2020
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer

1. Unable to Search Windows 10 Start Menu or in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Unable Search Start

2. Start Menu and File Explorer search broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and File Explorer search broken: For some reason, when I click on the search icon on the start menu, or the search box in file explorer, nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on v2004. submitted by /u/badass-techie [link] [comments]...
  3. Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer

Unable to perform search at start menu or in File Explorer: Started having this issue a couple days ago even after restarting. Im unable to bring up the search textbox at the start menu. I also cant type anything into the search textbox in File Explorer. Edit: In File Explorer, sometimes I'm able to type but it only allows me to...
  4. SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar...

SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar...: Happened today, pressed the window key and began typing to search for something...until a few keystrokes later i was still on the start menu. Then i clicked the specific search menu magnifying glass icon and nothing happens. SearchUI.exe doesn't appear on taskmgr under the...
  5. Unable to search in the Start Menu - please help

Unable to search in the Start Menu - please help: I disabled Cortana in the regedit and also renamed the Cortana folder in the System Apps folder in order to completely stop it from running. Now, when I hit the Start menu button on the keyboard, it opens up, but am unable to type in anything.. How do I resolve this issue?...
  6. Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is...

in Cortana
    Windows search not working, both in Start Menu and File explorer. SearchUI.exe process is...: I´m a Windows Insider user, OS is: Edition: Windows 10 Home Version: 2004 OS Build: 19041.264 Installed on: 4/16/2020 Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0 Everything was working fine till yesterday, when search suddenly stopped working. Can´t type...
  7. Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*: About three days ago I noticed that my Search Button and searching in general wasn't working and the Start Menu was more or less broken. I tried almost every solution I could find - like running sfc /scannow or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, that sort of thing -...
  8. Start menu file explorer error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu file explorer error: when accessing file explorer through the start menu only, I get this error: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. going to the path stated and launching the program...
  9. Automatically search files in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatically search files in start menu: In Windows 7 I type xxxx.txt and it searches the file in the indexed files. In Windows 10 I have to type Find in Documents. How do I make it searches in my files without clicking a second time ? 9159
  10. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...