Windows 10: Unable to see computers/share files on my network after update Windows 10 to v2004

Discus and support Unable to see computers/share files on my network after update Windows 10 to v2004 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Problem : 1. After update to v2004, I no longer see computers on my private network that used to be visible in Windows Explorer under NETWORK 2.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Royg1954, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Royg1954 Win User

Unable to see computers/share files on my network after update Windows 10 to v2004

Problem :

1. After update to v2004, I no longer see computers on my private network that used to be visible in Windows Explorer under NETWORK

2. After update to 2004, I can no longer print to a shared printer - the computer that the printer is attached to is no longer sharing the printer.

3. After update to 2004, I can no longer access shared folders on any of my 4 machines...all the share settings are reset

Seems like every time I update Windows to a newer version, I loose visibility to seeing the other computers on my network. Private network Netgear ORBI I also loose connection to a computer that has a shared printer. All 4 machines are on Workgroup HOMEGROUP.

I have attempted the following fixes: Update to v 2004 and attempted fixes Implemented on all 4 machines

1. Network and sharing center - All previous setting have been reset to default by the update annoying that these can't be saved and transferred to the update. I reset all machines to allow discovery and file sharing without passwords.

FIX=No

2. Services checked - Function Discovery provider Host and Resource Pubs - both set the Auto Delayed Note : I also tested Auto with same result

FIX=No

3. Optional Features - SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support - All Checked

FIX=No

4. Disabled temporary Windows Defender firewall incoming and outgoing private network profile

FIX=No

5. Several online scripts to fix the issue.

FIX=No

6. Brute forced connection via \\IP address in Windows Explorer AND set my Network to fixed IP addresses for all computers....and I was able to connect, and the computers showed up under NETWORK only until the next reboot, before reboot, I added the computers to Quick access, and I can access the shares that I reset my sharing and I can print to the shared printer, even though the computers do not show up under NETWORK.

FIX= ? working for now

Very frustrating, you would expect that MS would have a top level switch that would allow access inside a private network, without going through several lower level switches and scripts that supposedly fix them... and nothing fixes the issue

I would also suggest a method that these setting be stored and transferred when the next Windows update occurs!

Please get this right MS!

:)

Royg1954, Jul 14, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that after reinstalling Windows on the computer, the Desktop doesn’t appear under Network, we will look into this for you. However, we will need the following details to assist you further:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type: winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.
    • Which update was installed on the computer? To check go to
      Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the suggestions provided by Roohi_Taj replied on January 8, 2019 in the thread

Network Sharing in Windows 10
    and check if that helps in resolving the issue.

You may also try disabling Windows Firewall and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned in the article

Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off

Note: Turning off Windows Defender Firewall could make your device (and network, if you have one) more vulnerable to unauthorized access

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 14, 2020
  3. gdil47 Win User
    Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files

Thanks for Your reply, but the question is not exactly as You have undersstood (due probably to my bad english)

I've reinstalled the desktop and all was ok

- from desktop by clicking the network icon both computers appears (desktop and laptop)

- after the last automatic upgrade the desktop icon don't appear both on desktop and laptop. The connection seems exist due to the fact that i've copied files from the destop to the laptop but desktop don't appear so that it was impossible make the same
    from laptop.

I've also tried the solution that You have suggested but nothing change, the situation remain the same (attached the print screen made from desktop that don't appear. The laptop shown the same, laptop appear and desktop none). Before the upgrading both
    computers was indicated.

Waiting eventually other suggestions, bye

Unable to see computers/share files on my network after update Windows 10 to v2004 679b167a-2b7d-4e1c-b5a0-ed8c8118d025?upload=true.jpg

gdil47, Jul 14, 2020
  4. Asylum Win User

Unable to see computers/share files on my network after update Windows 10 to v2004

File sharing help

So, I just got finished setting up Windows 2016 Data Center on my home server (bare metal).
    I have everything setup and able to join the Domain with my computers ( windows 10 pro).
    My problem is I am unable to get my laptop ( windows 8.1) and my home theater system ( both not on the domain) to see my shared folders on the server.
    Have tried turning off firewall, turning on file sharing and right clicking on the folders and sharing with everyone from the server.
    Does anyone know a way to do this or will I be unable to share those across the network without them being on the domain.

Thanks in advance,

Asylum, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to see computers/share files on my network after update Windows 10 to v2004 - Similar Threads - Unable computers share

2. Unable to Access Shared Files on Local Network after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Access Shared Files on Local Network after Windows Update: After a recent Windows update, I have been experiencing difficulties accessing shared files on my local network. Prior to the update, everything was working smoothly. However, since the update, attempts to connect to shared folders result in an error message, and I'm unable...
  3. Unable to share network computers

Unable to share network computers: Hi i have enabled network sharing on both my computers and marked drives to share. i can see both computers and the drives but when i try and open a drive i get the message unable to access this computer Any advice will be great please 179469
  4. Uninvited Network Shares [v2004]

Uninvited Network Shares [v2004]: Hello again, [W-10 Pro 64 v2004] After v2004 update today (yes, it took 3 months !) I get unwanted/uninvited items in File Explorer/Total Commander appearing alongside my known network entities. One, which is labelled Wwp027 is associated with Asus according to its...
  5. Win10 v2004 network shares inaccessible

Win10 v2004 network shares inaccessible: So, apparently over this past weekend, several of my old clients PCs were upgraded to Win10 v2004, and now it appears that none of these folks can access 'network shares' from a peer-server on their LANs, and I was wondering if this is something that others have seen as well...
  6. Computer seeing itself in network and sharing

Computer seeing itself in network and sharing: So I have a server running Windows 10 Pro, And the server sees itself in the network and sharing menu. [ATTACH] I don't this to happen as it makes it so the server can access itself even when network and sharing is turned off. I'm trying to run Minecraft bedrock...
  7. Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files

Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files: Due to the HD crash i was obliged to change it and reinstall win10. Now i've another computer, an Asus laptop and is very important for me that such computers and in condivision. Yesterday night i've solved a problem open on the desktop the network icons and making the files...
  8. Unable to see the PC on network to share files

Unable to see the PC on network to share files: Hello, I am reaching out because my computer is not noticed on our network at my work. In the network we share crucial information and pictures of vehicles that we have for sale. My computer is the base for all of the pictures so I have to be seen by everyone. All of my...
  9. File sharing - unable to see other computers

File sharing - unable to see other computers: I have only two computers on my home network connected by a switch/router. It used to work fine when it comes to sharing and transferring files. They can usually see each other after turning on sharing for any individual folders or files, though, sometime, it does take a few...
  10. Cant see computers on network shares

Cant see computers on network shares: I have 3 computers on the network. All have shared folders . My problem is as follows. Lets call the computers c2, c3, c4. I am using network shares When on computer c4 , computers c2 and c3 are not listed at all under network. Sometimes I do see c3 listed but cannot...