Windows 10: Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files

Discus and support Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Due to the HD crash i was obliged to change it and reinstall win10. Now i've another computer, an Asus laptop and is very important for me that such... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gdil47, Sep 12, 2019.

1. gdil47 Win User

Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files

Due to the HD crash i was obliged to change it and reinstall win10. Now i've another computer, an Asus laptop and is very important for me that such computers and in condivision. Yesterday night i've solved a problem open on the desktop the network icons and making the files condivition. From both computers when i make a click on the network icon both computers was showned and i've the chance to select one of this to charge or dischrge the files.

Today e general upgrading is started automatically and after the restarting a curious thing appens:

- if i click the network icon on the desktop only the lap top is showned

- also on the lap top. It seems that the tower is'nt present on the network.

I've reviewed the tower configuration and no problems appears, in addition since i've a microsoft telephone today i've tried to install the relevant sw in my computer and when the microsoft system have made the check both computers are indicated and without problems, but the general situation don't change, if i click on the network icon the tower don't appear.

Nobody had the same problem and have solved the matter?

Thanks

***Modified title from: network problems***

:)

gdil47, Sep 12, 2019
  2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Sep 12, 2019
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Unable to browse network computers.

We suggest creating a new administrator user account by following the steps
    here
    . Make sure to use the same network settings that you used for your other computers, then check if you can connect to the home network. Since you also mentioned that Windows 10 was freshly installed on this particular computer, have you already downloaded
    the latest updates? The latest build for Version 1607 is 14393.1715, and 15063.608 for Version 1703. You can check the build version of your computer by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type winver and press Enter.

If you don't have the latest updates, you can follow these steps to install them:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click Update & security.
    • Click Check for updates.

If that doesn't work, we'd like screenshots of the network and file sharing settings of the computer that doesn't work, and the settings of one of your other computers that can connect and share files properly on the home network.

Yolvi Ell, Sep 12, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to find Windows 10 computer on the Network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to locate the computer running on Windows 10 on the Network, we will look into this for you. However, please reply with the details to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps:

• Are you able to see the Windows 10 computer under Network in File Explorer?
    • Do you receive any error message when you try to access the computer through File Explorer?
    • Have you changed the Startup type of the services to Automatic?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

Method 1: Enabling SMB

As you have mentioned that SMB 1 is disabled, we can enable SMB 1 and check if that resolves the issue. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows and R key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.
    3. Click on 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' (upper left side of pane).
    4. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, select the boxes next to
      SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already selected, please clear the box and select it again.
    5. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please
      Restart
      it.

Method 2: Modify Network Discovery Settings

If enabling SMB 1 didn’t fix the issue, then we can modify the Network Discovery settings and check if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to control panel > Click on network and internet >
      Click on network and sharing.
    2. Click on Change advance sharing settings on the left pane.
    3. Select the options
    • Turn on network discovery.
    • Turn on file and printer sharing.
    • Allow windows to manage home group connection(recommended).
    • Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders.
    • Use 128-bit encryption to help protect files sharing connections (recommended).
    • Turn off password protected sharing.
    4. Click on Save changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files - Similar Threads - Unable Desktop computer

2. Unable to see my router under the Network tab in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to see my router under the Network tab in file explorer: Hello, I'm trying to port forward so I can get open NAT type it is currently strict to play with my friends in Call Of Duty: Black Ops III. I tried to port forward through my routers site, but I had no luck with that, I watched some tutorials and all tutorials show that you...
  3. Unable to see my router under the Network tab in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to see my router under the Network tab in file explorer: Hello, I'm trying to port forward so I can get open NAT type it is currently strict to play with my friends in Call Of Duty: Black Ops III. I tried to port forward through my routers site, but I had no luck with that, I watched some tutorials and all tutorials show that you...
  4. Unable to share network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to share network computers: Hi i have enabled network sharing on both my computers and marked drives to share. i can see both computers and the drives but when i try and open a drive i get the message unable to access this computer Any advice will be great please 179469
  5. Network sharing - computer does not appear under Network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network sharing - computer does not appear under Network: I have a desktop computer which has a folder I want to share to my 2 laptops and my wife's laptop. I initially did not have file sharing enabled for the desktop, but I figured out how to do that - I think. I used file explorer and the "Give access to" selection to share the...
  6. Computer seeing itself in network and sharing

Computer seeing itself in network and sharing: So I have a server running Windows 10 Pro, And the server sees itself in the network and sharing menu. [ATTACH] I don't this to happen as it makes it so the server can access itself even when network and sharing is turned off. I'm trying to run Minecraft bedrock...
  7. Unable to see my router under the Network tab in file explorer

Unable to see my router under the Network tab in file explorer: Hi, I am currently trying to do some port forwarding and I am unable to see my router. I am in the attic and the router is on the ground floor, so there are Devolo hubs connected to the wall sockets around the house (I am able to see them under "Network Infrastructure")....
  8. Unable to see the PC on network to share files

Unable to see the PC on network to share files: Hello, I am reaching out because my computer is not noticed on our network at my work. In the network we share crucial information and pictures of vehicles that we have for sale. My computer is the base for all of the pictures so I have to be seen by everyone. All of my...
  9. File sharing - unable to see other computers

File sharing - unable to see other computers: I have only two computers on my home network connected by a switch/router. It used to work fine when it comes to sharing and transferring files. They can usually see each other after turning on sharing for any individual folders or files, though, sometime, it does take a few...
  10. Cant see computers on network shares

Cant see computers on network shares: I have 3 computers on the network. All have shared folders . My problem is as follows. Lets call the computers c2, c3, c4. I am using network shares When on computer c4 , computers c2 and c3 are not listed at all under network. Sometimes I do see c3 listed but cannot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to see desktop in netowrk

2. Unable to see folders under network folders