Windows 10: Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window

Discus and support Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external USB drive with data from a previous computer that I want to transfer to my new Surface2 Computer. Device manager says it is working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SpectroJo, Oct 27, 2019.

1. SpectroJo Win User

Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window

I have an external USB drive with data from a previous computer that I want to transfer to my new Surface2 Computer. Device manager says it is working properly and drivers are up to date, but I can not access it through Explorer window. I don't see the option to add a drive letter as recommended by others, this option doesn't show up when I right click the device in the device manager. Help!!!

:)

SpectroJo, Oct 27, 2019
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Zero Ice Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window

What has happened to the additional drives that appeared in the Windows Explorer for external USB devices

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

For better understanding please answer the below questions:

• Does the USB drive shows in the Device Manager?
    • Is the computer detecting the connected USB devices?
    • Have you checked the USB drives on the different computers?
    I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

Check if you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management. If you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management, follow the steps to assign the drive letter:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Do one of the following:

• To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click
      Add
      , click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click
      OK.
    Method 2: I would suggest you to un-install and reinstall USB controllers and check. This method resolves steps where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupted.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right click a device and click Uninstall.
    • Repeat for each device. Once complete, restart your computer.
    • Your USB controllers will automatically install.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window

1. Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window - Similar Threads - Unable External USB

2. Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10: Our family computer is set up with an administrator and a second user. The administrator can see all external hard drives, however they are hidden from the second user. I hoped that by making the second user an administrator access would be allowed, but this does not help. It...
  3. Windows sees new external SSD as a USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows sees new external SSD as a USB drive: Hi there. I'm a video editor and I recently bought a external SSD a HP P500, 250GB to use as a cache drive. It arrived as I was having trouble doing a clean install of Windows and due to the lack of flash drivers laying around, I used the brand new external SSD as the...
  4. Can't see my USB 3.0 external drive.

Can't see my USB 3.0 external drive.: I have a Seagate Model- SRD00F1 USB 3.0 that is not recognized by Windows Disk Management. I do get the connection audio sound when I plug it in but that's it. Any suggestions??? Thanks for your help....
  5. Can't see external drives in File Explorer

Can't see external drives in File Explorer: I have 3 external disks and none of them are recognised when I plug them in, the usb ports are ok as I can plug any usb drives and use them with no issues. I have used these 3 drives with no problems in the past. I think a Windows 10 update has caused some issues? Please...
  6. Unable to see SOME usb drives

Unable to see SOME usb drives: I have just set up a new HP Envy laptop. I am left with a strange problem about which I am very mystified. I have at least 6 portable drives including a thumbdrive, a WD portable, 3 satas in caddies and 1 ssd in a caddy. All of these are seen immediately on my old desktop....
  7. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  8. Windows not seeing external drive

Windows not seeing external drive: I've just moved flat and when I setup my desktop PC again, Win 10 does not see the external USB 3.0, 1 Tb disk drive I have on my system. I had previously noticed this with another small drive but hadn't got round to dealing with it. My flash drives - 2.0 and 3.0 - all work...
  9. Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector

Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector: The power went out while doing a Windows 10 update. I purchased a USB to SATA connector, connected it to another Windows 10 PC's USB port. The external hard drive that I removed from my other PC is not showing in Windows File Manager. 40757
  10. Unable to access external USB Drives!

Unable to access external USB Drives!: Hi I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and every since have been unable to access any USB external drive. The laptop picks up the drives and acknowledges that they are there and working but they do not appear in file explorer. I have looked in disk management and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to see external hardrive but can see it in disk management