Windows 10: Unable to See Network Share Drive when Mapped only with Alphabet 'S'

Discus and support Unable to See Network Share Drive when Mapped only with Alphabet 'S' in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft, We are unable to map a network drive with Letter S on Windows10 all versions of OS. Little Story behind - There are few folders on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SatyaTippani, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Unable to See Network Share Drive when Mapped only with Alphabet 'S'

Hello Microsoft,

We are unable to map a network drive with Letter S on Windows10 all versions of OS.

Little Story behind - There are few folders on a network share and they have to be mapped with letter S - As its configured on one of our local applications.

When we map with any other alphabet apart from S - It gets mapped and displayed in File Explorer / Computer.

But, When we map it as S Drive - The Operation gets completed but it doesnt show up in Computer. But we can access the Shared drive through Run.

We have checked below things.

1. Checked in net use and the S Drive is ON and connected. deleted using netuse delete S:\ - No Luck

2. Checked in all the other Win10 Machines - Behavior is same.

3. netsh winsock reset performed - no luck

4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2 - Checked here and S Drive is not listed.

5. SMB 1.0 is enabled.

6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System - DWORD is already created with EnableLinkedConnections.

We wanted to understand - if this is an issue at Win10 OS level or there should be some settings at file server. ?

:)

SatyaTippani, Jan 13, 2020

2. Unable To Map Network Drive

I have two Windows 10 machines named Studio and Digital on an Ethernet network. I had Windows reinstalled on the Digital machine. From the Digital machine I can map a network drive on the Studio machine. From the Studio machine I am unable to map to the hard drive on the Digital machine. I am pretty sure I have everything setup correctly on the Digital machine including the computer name, account name, password etc.
    When I select the Digital machine and drive the "Enter Network Password" box appears and it says my network password is not correct.
    Please see the attached screenshot.
    Can someone please give me ideas as to what the problem may be? Thanks very much Bill

Unable to See Network Share Drive when Mapped only with Alphabet 'S' [​IMG]

artmanphoto, Jan 13, 2020
  3. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Jan 13, 2020
  4. DMyr Win User

Unable to See Network Share Drive when Mapped only with Alphabet 'S'

Trouble Mapping Network Drive

I have a WD NAS drive connected to my router and have mapped it on three of my computers. I just setup another laptop with Windows 10 and have updated it to 1809 and when I tired Mapping a network drive nothing is displayed in the browse window except the
    computer I am currently using. The drive is shown under network locations in File Explorer but not when you select map network drive and browse. I right clicked on the drive and selected properties and noted the IP address and went back into Map network drive
    but instead of selecting browse I entered the IP address but it still does not map the drive. The strange part is if I go to any of the computers that already has the network drive mapped and select Map network drive and select browse none of those computers
    show the drive either but you can select the mapped drive in the drive list in file explorer and it works just fine.

I have read several articles both here and elsewhere and tried the suggestions but nothing works. Network discovery is turned on as is file sharing and also checked if all three boxes under SMB file sharing support in Windows features were also checked and
    they are. I have mapped several computers to several different drives over the years and anytime the drive was not listed it was always easy to go into Network Sharing Centre and find the problem but everything seems to be as it should so would appreciate
    if someone can suggest something I may have overlooked.

Thank you

Thema:

Unable to See Network Share Drive when Mapped only with Alphabet 'S'

1. Unable to See Network Share Drive when Mapped only with Alphabet 'S' - Similar Threads - Unable Network Share

2. Unable to map network drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to map network drive: I was recently having troubles with sshfs-win. Explorer just sometimes begins to hang, without any change to anything.I then ran the command `net use Y: /delete`. It removed the sshfs mapped drive. Now I cannot re-map the drive.How can I use the drive letter Y: again?The...
  3. Unable to map network share suddenly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to map network share suddenly: Hi all, Just been accessing my network share on a linux box through a self served vpn server (on router) with no problems, when suddenly I'm getting no joy. Tried to remap (and deleted credentials) and firstly it comes back a second time with the password box, and then fails...
  4. unable to see shared network drive on router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to see shared network drive on router: How do I setup windows 10 to be able to see all my shared network devices? I am looking for my //net-storage/drive that is on my router. I did it long ago for another computer but forget how I managed to accomplish the task....
  5. Unable To Map Network Drive

Unable To Map Network Drive: I have two Windows 10 machines named Studio and Digital on an Ethernet network. I had Windows reinstalled on the Digital machine. From the Digital machine I can map a network drive on the Studio machine. From the Studio machine I am unable to map to the hard drive on the...
  6. Unable Map Network drive

Unable Map Network drive: I have two computers running windows 10. One system can map a drive to my Netgear device while the other fails with the message "System Error 64 has occurred. The network path was not found." I have tried various solutions on the WEB without success. Is there a local...
  7. Unable to map a network drive

Unable to map a network drive: My computer has happily been displaying my NAS drive up until today. I can see the device properties yet when i try to map it i am tol cannot map as its mapped with another credential or login. I checked the Reg Edit as per other forum suggestions and it isnt mapped I...
  8. Unable to Map network drives

Unable to Map network drives: Good afternoon I am running a laptop with dual- booted Win10 (1709) systems. Both Win10 installs have been carried out in the last 3 days because Win10 (1703) would/could not update to 1709. Both systems have the same basic set of applications and security software. I...
  9. Cannot map shared network drive

Cannot map shared network drive: I have just upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and have a problem with a shared network drive. Under Win7 and 8.1 I had no difficulty mapping this drive which is attached directly to my access point. However, since upgrade, I can log into the drive using a browser but cannot...
  10. Unable to map Network Shares Windows 10

Unable to map Network Shares Windows 10: Hi, I've got 2 Western Digital Network drives hard wired on my network, a My Book World and an EX2. Since upgrading to Windows 10 I've had intermittent problems viewing and setting network drives. I've read a lot of other posts and tried a number of things suggested...