Windows 10: Unable to see SOME usb drives

Discus and support Unable to see SOME usb drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just set up a new HP Envy laptop. I am left with a strange problem about which I am very mystified. I have at least 6 portable drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by zzdpmjpr, Mar 17, 2019.

1. zzdpmjpr Win User

Unable to see SOME usb drives

I have just set up a new HP Envy laptop. I am left with a strange problem about which I am very mystified.

I have at least 6 portable drives including a thumbdrive, a WD portable, 3 satas in caddies and 1 ssd in a caddy. All of these are seen immediately on my old desktop.

On my new laptop only the thumbdrive and 1 sata in a caddy is seen. The rest just sit, powered but not communicating. I worked with HP support and we erradicated hardware problems. HP installed a new intel driver (dated 07/2018). We also installed Windows 1809 to try to solve it but no change. I have swapped cables and caddies and ruled out problems there.

So 6 drives read by an old desktop but only 2 of them seen by a new HP

Are there any suggestions where I could look for a solution

THanks in advance

:)

zzdpmjpr, Mar 17, 2019

2. Unable to see info on USB drive

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

OR

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Mar 17, 2019
  3. Unable to connect USB Hard Drives to laptop

After having connected a
    Sisun HDD docking station
    to my Sony Laptop , Windows Explorer refuses to recognise any USB hard drive (although other software such as a disk utility can) and I am therefore unable to save files to these drives. Windows does recognise some USB pen drives
    but larger HDD are not recognised. To date, I have;

• Uninstalled the USB controllers through Device manager (forcing Windows to reinstall them on reboot); and
    • Run both the WinUSB and DeviceDiagnostic software to no avail.
    I'd rather not do a clean reinstall of Windows as I am unable to backup my files. Any other suggestions?

SteveAinsworth, Mar 17, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to see SOME usb drives - Similar Threads - Unable usb drives

2. Unable to format USB Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to format USB Drive: When i am trying to format the usb drive it shows me windows was unable to format the drive . I tried all methods but it not working.Also happens in copy and paste also.When i am trying to copy a file pc to usb drive it shows me"Destination folder access Denied". I am the...
  3. Computer not seeing a USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer not seeing a USB drive: I am trying to make a Windows installation stick but my computer keeps telling me to insert a stick into slot E: even though from the pic you can see it there. Any help greatly appreciated 166956
  4. Computer not seeing a USB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer not seeing a USB drive: I am trying to make a Windows installation stick but my computer keeps telling me to insert a stick into slot E: even though from the pic you can see it there. Any help greatly appreciated 166956
  5. Unable to access USB drive

Unable to access USB drive: Hi, I tried inserting my flash drive & external driver to my Acer Aspire E13 laptop but it is not responding. it says " Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file...
  6. Cant see usb drive

Cant see usb drive: I cannot access my external Seagate USB drive. I can see it in disc management but the change drive letter option is greyed out. I can access other USB drives that I plug into the same port and can access the seagate drive from other computers. I have tried updating the...
  7. Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window

Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window: I have an external USB drive with data from a previous computer that I want to transfer to my new Surface2 Computer. Device manager says it is working properly and drivers are up to date, but I can not access it through Explorer window. I don't see the option to add a drive...
  8. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  9. Unable to access USB drive

Unable to access USB drive: Hi, I'm using windows 10 enterprise x86 on my HP laptop (15-AC122TU). For last few days I'm unable to copy/delete any file to/from my pendrive, not even able to format it. While formatting (fat32/NTFS/fat) : "Windows was not able to complete the format" While...
  10. Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector

Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector: The power went out while doing a Windows 10 update. I purchased a USB to SATA connector, connected it to another Windows 10 PC's USB port. The external hard drive that I removed from my other PC is not showing in Windows File Manager. 40757