Windows 10: unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online

Discus and support unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am not sure if I have this in the correct forum - please let me know if it should be elsewhere. I have W7-64 installed on an MBR SATA SSD, and in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Johnson97, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Johnson97 Win User

unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online

I am not sure if I have this in the correct forum - please let me know if it should be elsewhere.

I have W7-64 installed on an MBR SATA SSD, and in use for several years. This disk has 2 partitions, one system & the other one is data.
    Now I have installed W10-64 1909 on a GPT NVMe SSD on the same system in a UEFI dual boot setup. (I unplugged all other disks while installing W10)
    This is functioning, it can boot cleanly into either one.
    (BTW there are two other GPT data mechanical drives in the system, no problem accessing them)

At first, I could see both SSD disks from both systems. Now, I cannot see the W7 disk contents from W10 (the other way still works). W10 can see that the other disk is there, but it cannot see its contents. Drive letters are assigned. In windows explorer, the disk contents are blank (while I know they are not blank).

Using diskpart on the W10 system, I noticed that the disks are all online, but the 2 volumes of the W7 SSD are offline. I tried to bring them online by selecting them and then applying the diskpart Online command, but diskpart responds:
    "diskpart could not online the selected volume"

Why not? How do I fix this?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Johnson97, Mar 18, 2020
  2. Johnson97 Win User

I am not sure if I have this in the correct forum - please let me know if it should be elsewhere.

I have W7-64 installed on an MBR SATA SSD, and in use for several years. This disk has 2 partitions, one system & the other one is data.
    Now I have installed W10-64 1909 on a GPT NVMe SSD on the same system in a UEFI dual boot setup. (I unplugged all other disks while installing W10)
    This is functioning, it can boot cleanly into either one.
    (BTW there are two other GPT data mechanical drives in the system, no problem accessing them)

At first, I could see both SSD disks from both systems. Now, I cannot see the W7 disk contents from W10 (the other way still works). W10 can see that the other disk is there, but it cannot see its contents. Drive letters are assigned. In windows explorer, the disk contents are blank (while I know they are not blank).

Using diskpart on the W10 system, I noticed that the disks are all online, but the 2 volumes of the W7 SSD are offline. I tried to bring them online by selecting them and then applying the diskpart Online command, but diskpart responds:
    "diskpart could not online the selected volume"

Why not? How do I fix this?

Thank you in advance.

Johnson97, Mar 18, 2020
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Unable to Shrink Volume

As far as MiniTool showing more partitions, actually, Disk Management is showing less partitions. MiniTool shows the full picture, whereas Disk Management shows a partial picture, omitting those partitions that are not Fat32 nor NTFS.

unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online [​IMG]

unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Mar 18, 2020
  4. mfennell Win User

upgrading SSD unable to boot into Windows10 (EFI volume hidden)

Hi,

I am unable to boot into windows 10 after completing the installation successfully. PC is HP Prodesk G3 small form factor (business PC)

All files are being written to the SSD but just can not boot. The disk is GPT and secure boot is enabled. I am unable to find an option for AHCI in bios so hope its set correctly.

Startup repair returns (couldnt repair your PC) > C:\windows\system32\logfiles\srttrail.txt

Disk Part shows a 100MB volume listed as FAT32 which is the EFI volume and I am guessing that becasue this volume is hidden the PC is unable to use boot manager? When attemptimg to boot afer install it does list UEFI: Windows Boot Manager , but only a black screen after.

Would really appreciate assistance in sorting this as I am trying to upgrade.

mfennell, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

1. unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online - Similar Threads - unable volume contents

2. unable to change volume control on bottom of screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unable to change volume control on bottom of screen: unable to change volume control on bottom of screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-volume-control-on-bottom-of/d817ee5b-461b-4849-8e98-829f549a4a54
  3. Unable to find unallocated disk space after shrinking volume.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to find unallocated disk space after shrinking volume.: Alright, I've never posted here so forgive me if this is kind of a mess lol, I was trying to shrink my Windows (C:) so I could make a separate partition, I didn't exactly know what I was doing at the time so I think I ended up shrinking quite a bit of it, but I'm not sure...
  4. Unable to open contents in Mail.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to open contents in Mail.: I am unable to read the contents of my email because windows will not download it when click on the connection" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-contents-in-mail/140bd792-47a5-4782-b3b1-eca1e4c7d8e3
  5. Unable to view webpage contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to view webpage contents: I am unable to view the following web-page. https://vdocuments.site/diplomatic-asylum-and-the-assange-case.html https://vdocuments.site/diplomatic-asylum-theory-practice-and-the-case-of-julian-assange.html Additionally, all subsequent associated pages are prevented...
  6. upgrading SSD unable to boot into Windows10 (EFI volume hidden)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading SSD unable to boot into Windows10 (EFI volume hidden): Hi, I am unable to boot into windows 10 after completing the installation successfully. PC is HP Prodesk G3 small form factor (business PC) All files are being written to the SSD but just can not boot. The disk is GPT and secure boot is enabled. I am unable to find an...
  7. Unable to Shrink Volume

Unable to Shrink Volume: Just got an ASUS laptop. In Disk Management I want to shrink C: a small amount and use the partition for my data. But, regardless of what value I put in Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB I get The parameter is incorrect The size that is available to shrink is 45032...
  8. Could not online selected volume

Could not online selected volume: I am having the same problem and it doesn't go away even when I change os from win 10 to 8.1 .... I encountered this issue when my pc crashed and a BSOD showed up saying unmountable harddisk I had to reformat the harddisk which didn't help and when it finally booted I had...
  9. Unable to create simple volume on new 1TB hard drive

Unable to create simple volume on new 1TB hard drive: Just got a brand new HP computer with windows 10 Pro (64bit) preinstalled on an SSD. I am now adding a 1TB sata hard drive for storing data files. New HDD is installed as Disk 1 and is seen by Windows 10. I initialized it as an MBR basic disc. When I try to go to the next...
  10. Unable to create a simple Volume out of unallocated space.

Unable to create a simple Volume out of unallocated space.: Alright, so I want to dual boot Ubuntu along side Windows 10. I shrunk my C drive to make a new partition for Ubuntu around 40 GB. However after shrinking the partition, when I try to create a simple volume out of the unallocated space, I get a warning that it will be...