Windows 10: unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online

Discus and support unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am not sure if I have this in the correct forum - please let me know if it should be elsewhere. I have W7-64 installed on an MBR SATA SSD, and in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Johnson97, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Johnson97 Win User

unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online

I am not sure if I have this in the correct forum - please let me know if it should be elsewhere.

I have W7-64 installed on an MBR SATA SSD, and in use for several years. This disk has 2 partitions, one system & the other one is data.
    Now I have installed W10-64 1909 on a GPT NVMe SSD on the same system in a UEFI dual boot setup. (I unplugged all other disks while installing W10)
    This is functioning, it can boot cleanly into either one.
    (BTW there are two other GPT data mechanical drives in the system, no problem accessing them)

At first, I could see both SSD disks from both systems. Now, I cannot see the W7 disk contents from W10 (the other way still works). W10 can see that the other disk is there, but it cannot see its contents. Drive letters are assigned. In windows explorer, the disk contents are blank (while I know they are not blank).

Using diskpart on the W10 system, I noticed that the disks are all online, but the 2 volumes of the W7 SSD are offline. I tried to bring them online by selecting them and then applying the diskpart Online command, but diskpart responds:
    "diskpart could not online the selected volume"

Why not? How do I fix this?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Johnson97, Mar 18, 2020
  2. Johnson97 Win User

I am not sure if I have this in the correct forum - please let me know if it should be elsewhere.

I have W7-64 installed on an MBR SATA SSD, and in use for several years. This disk has 2 partitions, one system & the other one is data.
    Now I have installed W10-64 1909 on a GPT NVMe SSD on the same system in a UEFI dual boot setup. (I unplugged all other disks while installing W10)
    This is functioning, it can boot cleanly into either one.
    (BTW there are two other GPT data mechanical drives in the system, no problem accessing them)

At first, I could see both SSD disks from both systems. Now, I cannot see the W7 disk contents from W10 (the other way still works). W10 can see that the other disk is there, but it cannot see its contents. Drive letters are assigned. In windows explorer, the disk contents are blank (while I know they are not blank).

Using diskpart on the W10 system, I noticed that the disks are all online, but the 2 volumes of the W7 SSD are offline. I tried to bring them online by selecting them and then applying the diskpart Online command, but diskpart responds:
    "diskpart could not online the selected volume"

Why not? How do I fix this?

Thank you in advance.

Johnson97, Mar 18, 2020
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Unable to Shrink Volume

As far as MiniTool showing more partitions, actually, Disk Management is showing less partitions. MiniTool shows the full picture, whereas Disk Management shows a partial picture, omitting those partitions that are not Fat32 nor NTFS.

unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online [​IMG]

unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Mar 18, 2020
  4. mfennell Win User

upgrading SSD unable to boot into Windows10 (EFI volume hidden)

Hi,

I am unable to boot into windows 10 after completing the installation successfully. PC is HP Prodesk G3 small form factor (business PC)

All files are being written to the SSD but just can not boot. The disk is GPT and secure boot is enabled. I am unable to find an option for AHCI in bios so hope its set correctly.

Startup repair returns (couldnt repair your PC) > C:\windows\system32\logfiles\srttrail.txt

Disk Part shows a 100MB volume listed as FAT32 which is the EFI volume and I am guessing that becasue this volume is hidden the PC is unable to use boot manager? When attemptimg to boot afer install it does list UEFI: Windows Boot Manager , but only a black screen after.

Would really appreciate assistance in sorting this as I am trying to upgrade.

mfennell, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

1. unable to see volume contents, unable to bring volumes online - Similar Threads - unable volume contents

2. Unable to see the content of the control Panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to see the content of the control Panel: I am unable to see the details of the apps installed. Recently I had uninstalled an older version of Blender, to try out the new one, but after uninstalling the older version, I came up with this problem.Please help me with this thing...
  3. Unable to see the content of the control Panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to see the content of the control Panel: I am unable to see the details of the apps installed. Recently I had uninstalled an older version of Blender, to try out the new one, but after uninstalling the older version, I came up with this problem.Please help me with this thing...
  4. Unable to see the content of the control Panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. unable to created spanned volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to created spanned volume: using windows 10 pro 64 bitI have a 500 gb SSD that is also my boot drive. I installed a 2 TB ssd I want to span into it to create a single volume to make managing programs/documents simple.I can't change the original 500 GB HD into dynamic mode even though I can shrink it in...
  6. unable to created spanned volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to created spanned volume: using windows 10 pro 64 bitI have a 500 gb SSD that is also my boot drive. I installed a 2 TB ssd I want to span into it to create a single volume to make managing programs/documents simple.I can't change the original 500 GB HD into dynamic mode even though I can shrink it in...
  7. unable to created spanned volume

8. Unable to shrink existing volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to shrink existing volume: Currently i have around 200GB of free space in my C Drive and i want to shrink this volume. But, when I try to do the same, The disk management tool restricts me from doing so, saying there are some unmovable files. How to solve this issue???...
  9. Unable to see email content or attachments

Unable to see email content or attachments: Unable to see email content or attachments using the default windows 10 mail app using my recently purchased windows surface book 3. The account is gmail. For the same email - i can see the respective content and attachments - when viewed through mobile phone....
  10. Unable to Shrink Volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Shrink Volume: Just got an ASUS laptop. In Disk Management I want to shrink C: a small amount and use the partition for my data. But, regardless of what value I put in Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB I get The parameter is incorrect The size that is available to shrink is 45032...