Windows 10: Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10 hi all I have just set up a Windows 10 desktop with a clean install for a friend. they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bartjunited, May 24, 2021.

1. Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10

Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10 hi all I have just set up a Windows 10 desktop with a clean install for a friend. they had windows 7 on an old desktop so I copied their data to the new pc using an external HDD. however as a back up I have taken out the old hard drive and placed it in a hard drive caddy so that they can a - see any of their old data in case I missed anything b - use the drive as external back up However when I navigate to the user profile it asks for permission which I click continue at but then it just sits there and think about it with the blue circle but doesnt actually do anything. not seen this before, any ideas please TIA Bart

:)

bartjunited, May 24, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 24, 2021
  3. Jayanuba Win User
    W10 corrupts W7 hard drive

W8.1 was working fine as a removable hard drive. W7 installed on a RAID array as multi partitions. Works fine and both OS can be booted and W8.1 reads the RAID array when booting as W8.1

W10 upgrade completed on removable 8.1 drive, but then checked RAID drives for errors and changed them.

W7 on raid no longer boots. After severel hours W7 finally re-installed on RAID array. (data is on other partition so ok.) Tested working all data recovered.

Here's the kicker.

As soon as I boot from W10 it says "reboot required to fix drives" then corrupts the Windows 7 install... Which doesn't need fixed!!

The drive containing W7 OS becomes unreadable although other data partitions on the RAID array are OK.

W7 recovery tries to fix the hard drive then fails.

W10 changed drive letters first attempt, so I thought this an easy fix, but in fact every fresh W7 install is corrupted as soon as I boot from W10.

This is a major problem. Why is W10 changing the drive parameters on a completely seperate fully operational operating system?

Jayanuba, May 24, 2021
  4. Msap14 Win User

Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10

Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, May 24, 2021
Thema:

Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10

1. Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable user data

2. Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to see W7 user data from hard drive caddy in Windows 10: hi all I have just set up a Windows 10 desktop with a clean install for a friend. they had windows 7 on an old desktop so I copied their data to the new pc using an external HDD. however as a back up I have taken out the old hard drive and placed it in a hard drive caddy so...
  3. Hard drive in caddy set up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive in caddy set up: I have put my hard drive from my win 10 desktop now dead into a caddy and it is recognised as a drive "E" on my new desktop. Everything is on there but do in need to retain Windows 10 on it? surely I can delete that? Files that perhaps I do not need to retain are :- Intel,...
  4. Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10: Our family computer is set up with an administrator and a second user. The administrator can see all external hard drives, however they are hidden from the second user. I hoped that by making the second user an administrator access would be allowed, but this does not help. It...
  5. Program to see the newest data on my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program to see the newest data on my hard drive?: My C drive keeps filling up and I'm not downloading anything onto it, so I was looking for a program, or just a way to see what data has been written into my disk from newest to oldest. submitted by /u/ltltltsmash [link] [comments]...
  6. Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.: I am unable to access data that is stored on an external hard drive. I get an error message that says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." This is data I stored on this external drive. I have used this drive to store data off my computer and so off...
  7. external hard drive caddy

external hard drive caddy: I bought a caddy or enclosure for my older but good internal drive to make an external drive for storage. It seems to be OK after I formatted it. However there is a system reserved under it in explorer. Do I do anything with this system reserved? Will it affect my Macrium...
  8. hard drive caddy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    hard drive caddy: Can anyone recommend a reliable easy to use hard drive caddy for sata hard drives 123448
  9. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  10. Hard drive in a caddy causing boot problems

Hard drive in a caddy causing boot problems: Hi. I recently installed a fresh Windows 10 Home on my laptop. I was having some problems and so I made a post on this forum. That post can be seen following this link: Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD That has been solved in a weird...